Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 14 (49 days)

Well get ready for the curve balls and the obstacles that will enter your path over the next 7 weeks. Make sure you keep your focus and drive, keep your focus. You have a finish line to cross.

Comments

• Options
    I am recovering from my spill off my bike. My left knee and elbow got the most road rash. I am not letting the bike spill deter me from my training. Going to be back in the pool tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Simon, way to get back on the horse and build that mental six-pack for race day!

After a sub standard weekend on the bike my legs felt pretty good so I did the recovery run yesterday. 10k including 12 minutes at MP. Felt pretty good the entire time. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/517568613

Hit up the pool after the run for 4000 yards. My right shoulder was bothering me a little bit during the warmup but this went away after 400 yards or so. Felt strong during the entire swim and could’ve went longer but didn’t want to stay out too late. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/517555141

Got the interval run in this morning. When I woke up my stomach was just off but I got ready just the same. My stomach didn’t really feel any better when I got to the track. Did a warmup and 2 X 1 @ Z4 and then shut it down. My legs felt great but with my gut and the massive amount of work coming up at camp this week I didn’t feel the need to push it for another 15 minutes. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/517725265
  • Options
    Wow Simon,
    You are unstoppable!
    Good for you to keep going and going strong.
    Keep healing!
  • Options
    @Simon, glad you're healing up.

Last Sunday(6/1) I had my first curve ball, started getting an odd pain in my knee about halfway up a climb while previewing the bike course for the White Mtn Tri. It improved during the week but it started to show up again during the race on Sunday around mile 50. I had a knee brace in transition and I wore that for the run. I'm keeping an eye on it and will head out after work today to see if I can find a better brace. Luckily this is mostly a recovery week for me between the WMT and the training camp so the knee has some time to rest. Had a good OWS last night with the club.

I can't say I was happy with my results from the race but I was satisfied. It is a tough course. The short of it, I don't think I got enough nutrition on the bike. I got off my hydration and nutrition schedule because of road conditions, at least 20 miles were a mess. Lots of cracks, pot holes and frost heaves. (I'm kind of expecting some of the same this weekend in LP after this winter) The plus side is I kept my NP on the bike right where I wanted it and I felt pretty good off the bike. It turned out to be a hot day so being a little behind on nutrition/hydraton caught up with me on the run. Also the 1300' of elevation gain aggravated the knee a bit more. After mile 6 I had some abdominal cramping every time I took a drink. I was able to maintain a slow run for the entire course. Compared to last year where I was complete shot when I got off the bike and the run turned into a walk by mile 3 this was a great improvement. image I actually passed people on the run and there was still hot food left when I finished!! I'll take the little wins when I can. image

Things I learned from Sunday. I will back the intensity down a bit lower than I had planned for the training camp and re-evaluate after that.(glad I signed up for the earliest ride) I need to find a way to secure the rear bottles better, I launched one on the rough roads.(just water and I refilled my aero bottle at the aid station) Focus more on nutrition consumption, I still had a half bottle of perform on the bike which should have been mostly consumed and I don't think I ate the cliff blocks at all, had some of those on the run. I did eat the Cliff Bar I had with me.

• Options

Took a recovery day yesterday. Today, I had plans on an OWS in Lake Ontario. I got to my swim spot and jumped in. I did not bring my gloves this time. The last time I was there, I could have swam without them. Well, mother nature has pulled one of her mean tricks and cooled the water. I could not swim. I swam around for about 5 minutes trying to warm up and shake off the ice cream head ache. It was just not happening. I tried to swim hard, but that seemed to only make the cold face even colder. So, I bailed and now I am off to my son's last concert of the school year.

• Options

Ok LP camp this weekend. Ottawa cell x 6 peeps will be in LP trg but not taking in the official camp.We will be trying to meet as many peeps as possible and get some riding in. I am not going to talk wo's and numbers tonite but it has been a blast over the last couple of  weekends.Down in LP for a trg weekend then off to Quassy for a race with the EN crowd. Had a very positive race confirming trg is going well.I got into our very own Meech Lake mountain fed water and was able to cross the lake total 5 km's first long OWS.

Then Brenda and I went up to Mont Tremblant for some trg on the IM course.That race course is an all rounders dream day. They even paved the run course for those who have done it and remember the out and back.  I was given the opportunity to do this race again this year and I could not pass it up. So 20 day's after LP Brenda and I will be towing the line at IMMT 2014 together,stoked ! Keep up the good work and keep things fresh to keep you engaged in your trg. For peeps here on the thread doing the camp I hope to shake your hand,break bread together and maybe a wobbly pop or two !

• Options

@Steve, looking forward to meeting you and Brenda in person. I will be in Placid by noon on Thursday and swimming soon after that. I am jealous of the IMMT spot. However, that was too much to ask my family to do.

• Options
    I got a good ride in today including 40 minutes of FTP work. The temp was in the low 70's but humidity was over 80%! I looked like I had jumped in a lake by the end of the ride. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/518534863

Ran 6 miles immediately after the bike. 3 miles out at MP, 3 miles back at TP. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/518532572

Ready for camp!
  • Options
    I guess it's going to be quiet around here if most people are heading for the camp this weekend... Lucky ducks! (this is me trying not to be too jealous :-))

Had to do a bit of rearranging due to the migraine from hell on Tuesday - too much work stress, being the only one left standing after layoffs isn't any easier but hopefully I'm back on track now. Weather looks nice for the long run this evening.
  • Options
    Final pre-IMLP race last night. Did a local 5K in 20:20, setting a new PR. I then ran 10 miles home with 800 feet of elevation gain for my weekly long run. Feeling good. Looking forward to tomorrows 5 hour ride. Waiting until noon when the rain should be over. A lot of climbing on this one!
  • Options
    Nice! Congrats on the new PR Larry:-)
  • Options

....and I was worried I wouldn't have enough "heat acclamation" for my Vineman race......90s w/ as much humidity here- Bleaach. 

I'm loving the outdoor riding -its fun -er now that I can hold 20 's on flats w/o going above threshold ... just this Damn wind.

My run today was the best run -feeling wise- I've had since adding all this bike VOL. I may be finding the balance. -Taking MON all off helps too......oh and not pr-ing every Long run day helps me thinks. Now if it wasn't for noticing some of the local KOMs are only 0.2 mph faster than my Z4 efforts.......LOL

I'm trying to be good.