Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Race Plan - Jud Deuling

Race Plan IMCDA 2014

Breakfast - yogurt with granola, blueberries, and an orange.  Sip Perform to site.

Swim - Planning on seeding myself in the 1:06 - 1:10 range.  Swam 1:05 last year with each calf cramping for 10 minutes each lap - hoping for a better experience!  I have not swam in my wetsuit yet this year, so will enjoy a pre-swim on Thursday or Friday.  Reminder to put on goggles under cap to have a better chance of keeping them on in the scrum.  Be steady, not stupid!

Transition #1 - Will walk to transition to get heart rate down and get the full treatment of sunscreen - bad burn last year right above shorts and near back shoulders.  I will have pre-walked to my bags, so no energy wasted.  

Bike - I am a heart rate guy, so I will be keeping at 120 bpm for the first 60 mins and then bump it to a 133 bpm for the rest of the fun.  This was steady, but comfortable for race rehearsals, so I will keep this as much as possible.  I just switched to an 11-28 cassette and am edited to be able to spin up the hills.  Last year I had a cadence of 60 up the big ones and think that this will make a difference come running time.  Drinking is going to be a crapshoot.  I have not done a ride anywhere near predicted race day temps, ands when I drank  5 bottles over 6 hours in my first rehearsal, I was peeing all the time.  I am going to target 1 1/2 bottles/ hour and try to increase that if it heats up.  Three bottles will be Perform with a scoop (100cal) of CarbPro and the rest will be Perform from aid stations.  I will be taking gels on the 30 minute schedule aiming for 500 calories/ hour including the drinks.  One salt tab on the hour.  No stomach issues in training, so this should be good.  I hit a bad place in the run at mile 10 last year, I believe from not eating enough on bike, so the more calories in, the better.  Last year, I stopped to pee - not this time, maybe….

*My challenges are that I am coming from a cold environment and I only get one race per year.  Being in the Yukon and only training in the early mornings due to the family has meant that all of my running and biking have been around 0-10 Celsius.  Last year, my head started to fuzz out at mile 10 and I had to take over a chair at an aid station to bring it all back together.  I have been reading Al’s heat warnings to try to prep for the changes, but some of race day fuelling is going to have to be done by “feel”.  Any ideas will be helpful!

Transition #2 - lube the feet, new socks, more sunscreen, hat and away I go!

Run - Be steady, not stupid!  Opening hour will be at 9:10/ mile or my bike heart rate of 133 bpm.  If comfortable, I will go to Z1 at 8:40 and/or heart rate range of 143-150 bpm.  This has been fine up here, but I am ready to adjust on the day.  Shooting for 300 calories/hour throughout the run with gels on the 45 minute schedule and the rest coming from Perform and Coke.  I like the run plan of opening up the engine for the last 10 km, but this will be a judgement call  on how the body deals with the heat.

Overall, I am going to enjoy the day, albeit in a painful, pushing kind of way.  With only one race, I am OK with setting a “soft” time goal of 11:30, knowing that should any of the “uncontrollables” happen, I adjust and just be thankful I can devote a day to doing something awesome!

Looking forward to meeting you all next week!     Jud

Comments

• Options

Hey Jud, good luck.  Hope you have a perfect day.  Couple of quick things:

- Breakfast: that looks pretty light.  What's your calorie plan for the 4-6 hours before race?  I'm 150lb, and I ate 840 calories at 4am, another 300 in Perform + gels the hour before the canon.  It's generally good to have that tank filled at 7am.  Which should allow you to bike without having to shovel in several thousand calories, some of which could cause discomfort on the run.  Over the years, I've moved from an all-you-can-eat-on-the-bike buffet plan to a more front-loaded caloric plan, by adding more calories to my breakfast (1,000~ calories), subtracting a lot from my bike (now 300-50/hr), and subtracting a little from my run (now 200-50/hr).  It's worked for me.  But that's me.  If you have any doubts/questions, Coach R has some great thoughts/advice on this topic.

- Heat.  It's pretty rare for someone to feel lousy on the run because they haven't eaten enough.  Instead, it's usually because they've eaten too much, didn't pace properly, are dehydrated, or core temp has gotten too high.  After spending 2 days with Coach P prepping for IMTX, it seemed like all he talked about was hydration and heat management.  Hunger can be fixed at the next aid station.  But he preached over and over about drinking a lot the first two hours of the bike, staying on top of that hydration and peeing 2-3x on the bike, and then pouring cold water over your head/body the last 20+ miles on the bike.  On the run, filling our hats, shirts, shorts and arm coolers with ice and cold water every aid station.  And the temperature was only 85.  Still, the only ones I saw taking the full ice baths were my EN teammates and, late in the race, those same people were some of the few who were still upright and running.  I think Coach knew what he was talking about.

Just my $.02.  Have a great race.

• Options
    Have to agree that ice is key. I did St. George 70.3 in early May this year. The temp was in the high 80's and I had not trained in anything over 75 prior to the race this year. I took full advantage of the ice in my hat and bra at every aid station. I held some in my hand and "played" with it until it melted. This was a small distraction that helped me focus on running steady to the next aid station. I am certain this was what enabled me to have a great run despite the heat.
  • Options
    Great advice! I have not added up the calories for breakfast and I should. It usually adds up, in size, to a full yogurt container. I will measure it up and adjust. Good thoughts on the heat, especially the drinking. I can do more front loading in the first hour while I am keeping the heart rate low. Being 6'2" and 180 lbs I need a fair bit of food to keep going. Thanks for the help!
  • Options

Judson - I'm looking forward to seeing Yukon represent in North Idaho!

• Options
    @ Al - looking forward to meeting you! And thank you for the invaluable advice on racing in the heat. I may not post enough, but I am reading everything. I am going into this IM better armed than ever thanks to you guys!