Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Race Plan Steven C.

IMCDA Race Plan

Steven Cummings- M:36 FTP:228 VDOT:47 Weight: 142 Watt/kg: 3.53

Second IM with EN and I’d like to think I’m a lot smarter this time around thanks to you guys.  A few improvements since I did IMFL in 2012, racing with power and a better vdot. 

Please feel free to poke holes and ask questions on my plan. 

Wednesday- Long travel day and should be arriving in Coeur d’Alene between 2-3pm  (5-6pm ET).  Check into condo and grocery shop.

Thursday- Short recon swim in the morning.                                                                                                                                              Athlete Check in                                                                                                                                                                            Pick up bike from Tribike Transport 1pm or later                                                                                                                              Recon Ride out and back to see main climb                                                                                                                                     EN Dinner @ Crickets

Friday-   30 minute recon swim at 8am    

30 minute easy run to see the hill near the turnaround                                                                                                                      10:30 EN 4 Keys                                                                                                                                                                          Organize bags for special needs

Saturday- Sleep in                                                                                                           Eat a big breakfast and hydrate all day                                                                                                                                           Kick feet up and relax

Bags-  Morning- Wetsuit, chaffing lotion, 2 pair of goggles, swim cap, gel and drink                                                 T1 Bag- Helmet, Sunglasses, HR monitor, Race Belt, socks, shoes,  bag of salt pills & gels, lotion                                                      T2 Bag-Socks, Shoes, Go bag of (Visor, bottle,  4 gels & 4 salt pills)                                                                                               Bike SN- 3 bottles of infinit, extra tube, 2 CO2, tire                                                                                                                          Run SN- probably won't need it but socks, chaffing lotion, 2 gels          

Goal: Execute all day long, ride the bike I should, get to mile 18 on run and take it home.  If I execute right then overall time should be around 11:15.    

Breakfast- 4am 2.5 Cups of applesauce, protein carb mix, 1 banana, Large Gatorade to sip on all morning

Transition-5:30am- Pump up tires, drop off bottles, turn on garmin

Swim- Get to the beach early and self seed near 1:05.  Take gel and finish my drink.  Start fast but get into the box….count strokes and keep cadence high.  Maintain my pace not someone else’s.  Push on the last 400 yds back in on the second lap. 

T1-  Fast is smooth, socks, shoes, HR monitor, Helmet, glasses, race belt, salt and gels 

Bike- First 45 minutes, focus on easy watts aiming for .68 IF 155 watts and remainder at .73 IF 166 watts. This is lower watts than both of my race rehearsals but RR#2 was closer to .77 IF.  One 24 oz bottle of infinit every hour, 1 gel at 45 minutes on the hour chased by 10-15 oz’s of water, salt pill at the top of the hour.  Pee twice! Stop at Special Needs to grab 3 bottles.  Take in water instead of infinit the last 15-20 minutes.      

T2- Hand off bike, grab bag, change shoes and socks, take go bag and run.

Run- First 6 miles at 9:28 which includes 15 step walking breaks at aid stations for 4-8 oz’s of water and perform, take gel at 45 minute increments, salt pill at top of the hour.  Miles 7-18 run at 8:58 average with walking breaks.  Miles 18-23 depending on how I’m feeling starting increasing pace in small increments.  Miles 23-26.2 – Give it all I’ve got till the end!   

Comments

• Options
    Not sure what happened to the format here for some of my lists!
  • Options
    Nice plan. My only feedback is that you might want to wear the heart rate monitor on the swim? That is what I do. This way it is one less thing to do in T1.
  • Options
    Good point, that's one less thing to mess with in transition and i really want to cut out any garbage time.
  • Options

Looks good. Probably not worth the effort to push harder @ the end of the swim, worth maybe 30 sec @ most. Especially considering there is usually a good tail wind heading into the beach, raising small swells and giving us a little push.

Yeah, HRM belt along with race kit worn under the wet suit is the way I go. Race belt with number not required until run; I used to wear it the whole race, but it does cause a small bit of drag on the bike, so why bother with it if not needed?

• Options
    I was wondering if I needed the race belt for the bike...I wore it in my last IM in '12. You guys are going to make my T1 transition fast!
  • Options
    Steven,

All looks good! See you in a few days!