Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Week 19...Taper Time!

After yesterday's day off and food coma (not really, I was mostly good) I hit the pool for an early swim and then run. Due to the concern with my left foot I did not attemp the the zone 4 stuff and instead just did the time in zone 1-2. Foot felt really good.

I spent yesterday entering all of my workouts into WKO+ to get an accurate TSB for the next couple weeks. I am currently sitting at +7 TSB, a little higher than I expected, but it is what it is.

Comments

• Options
    I enjoyed my day off and did the swim and run this morning. I did the run as written and hit the Z4 stuff. I just wanted the mental boost to know that I have "still got it" for my last quality run workout. Right now my TSB is at -12. I also plan to enter my remaining workouts into training peaks to guess at what my TSB will be on race day. On the TODO list for today is to put in my last Amazon.com order for any extra stuff I might need and start to work on my final race plan.
  • Options
    I did the swim this a.m. and will knock out the run later this evening after I watch USA vs Ghana! Also, I dropped off my bike for tri bike transport during lunch...i wish i wasn't parting ways with it so soon but it's a long trip to CDA from Atlanta!
  • Options

Here are the bib numbers of the people who are listed by WTC for EN in the TriClub list. Others should sign up!

424 I 443 I 922 I 1906 I 1686 I 2268 I 246 I 500 I

• Options
    I thought I was signed up but I am not on that list. Where do you sign up?
  • Options
    same here, was from the initial entry form or is there a sign up elsewhere?
  • Options
    been in the Wiki a lot the last two days...reading and trying to re-absorb much of the content. There is so much good stuff in the race execution section. Just read this post on tapering and found it especially clarifying & helpful. Figured I'd pass it along...

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=The+Ironman+Taper+Tweak

We fly out for CDA one week from today. Can't wait!!
  • Options

Please go Here to subscribe to the tri club newsletter. That will get you registered as an EN Athlete.

• Options
    Thanks Steve, I just subscribed. Not sure how they connect that to the race in CDA, but I entered Endurance Nation. Can't remember if I went under Bill or William when I signed up for CDA so not sure if that is how they match, etc...someone said we can actually do it at the race sign in potentially as well, so we can do a tally again and fix there if any issues.

Bill
  • Options

Posted By David Leventhal on 17 Jun 2014 02:32 PM

been in the Wiki a lot the last two days...reading and trying to re-absorb much of the content. There is so much good stuff in the race execution section. Just read this post on tapering and found it especially clarifying & helpful. Figured I'd pass it along...

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=The+Ironman+Taper+Tweak

We fly out for CDA one week from today. Can't wait!!

Not sure who wrote that, but it doesn't sound like our coaches today - maybe a younger version of one of them?

Here is a wiki link that provides RnP's current advice and support in the taper.

http://members.endurancenation.us/R...ith+Intent

Key quote: "...you need to sit down and really start thinking about what it is that you need to line up from a mental standpoint, as well as a physical standpoint, to be ready to execute on the day.  You can review your training logs to make sure you've done the good work.  You can go ahead and review your equipment and feel confident about what you have.  You can go ahead and outline the race plan to make sure that you know what you're going to do on the day.  You can make sure that your travel arrangements are all lined up, everything's printed out, all the itineraries, family friends, everyone else knows what they need to do."

If (actually when!) you post your race plan, put it up in the general training forum called race execution. Then you'll get the whole team to see it, and get broader feedback then just the dozen or so of us who are monitoring the CDA group. 

• Options
    At registration there will be a tri club table where you can register as an Endurance Nation member.
  • Options

I've had my race plan on the RACE EXECUTION forum for over a week and nary a comment. Either it's bulletproof or I am screwed....

• Options

I just listened to Coach R's Monday evening "coach chat" which was on the use of power in training and racing. He succinctly covers in 20 minutes (from about 24:00-44:00 in the file you download) how to use power to guide you on race day. Key takeaways, IMO;

• The range of watts within which you can safely ride is usually quite narrow - 4 watts in my case. Go lower, and you leave time on the table. Go above that band for even 10-12 minutes early on, and you can bugger your whole day, as I've done in two of my races in the last 5 years.
    • Variability index for those of us with "Medium w/kg" - like me, @ about 3.25 - will probably be within the 1.05-1.08 range, simply due to the need to increase watts a small amount over hills.

The link to the webinar is at the top of the Dashboard. With a 20 minute listen to review the protocols.

• Options
    I will definitely listen to that webinar. Sounds useful. Swim went well this morning. Looking forward to tomorrow's run. Seems like that is the last real run workout until race day! I also wrote up the first draft of my race plan: http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/15863/Default.aspx
  • Options

Confession time...

I have not made it to the pool since last Tuesday. Not because I can't, because I simply have no motivation, desire. Swimming MOJO is GONE! I actually got in the pool last Thursday and went and swam with my kids in the family pool because I simply could not bear to do the prescribed workout. Part of me is disappointed that I am not just "pushing through these final two weeks" and the other part of me is saying it is OK, your work is done, your swim is not going to improve at this point. 

I guess I am looking for a swift kick in the A$$, or some validation that it is OK that I have not been swimming.

• Options
    Yes you are OK not swimming. It won't make or break your race. But know it's important to maintain that fitness edge that will keep you fresh for race day. Try to get at least 50-100 TSS per day to keep from getting stale.

Your work is done but you are not to race day yet.
  • Options

We all probably have one event we struggle with these last weeks (at least one!).  I swam in family pool this am but it was better than nothing.  For my swims, instead of Masters workouts, I have done some 1.2 mile swims and it has really helped me work on my pacing, I was starting too easy.  Keep on trucking, we are almost there!

Bill

• Options
    Did the last long run this morning, went 11 miles in the 80 minutes. Now it really feels like the taper begins. My TSB also went positive today, even with the run. I am going to drop my bike off tomorrow and one week from today I will be on a plane. Its all really happening now!
  • Options

Posted By Jennifer Datwyler on 18 Jun 2014 09:16 PM

...I guess I am looking for a swift kick in the A$$, or some validation that it is OK that I have not been swimming.

You can't get any fitter @ this time, but you can lose too much fitness. The way I try to maintain my fitness in the last 10-14 days is by making sure I do SOMEthing everyday, and also that I do a bit of intensity at least 4 x a week. Our mitochondria, the little energy factories we get from our mothers, reproduce within our cells on a regular basis. They need to be continually reminded to maintain the higher numbers of them we have created through training. So even next week, it's important to take a few quick digs most days before the race, like 10 x 25 yard sprints, or 6-8 strides while running, or popping up a hill now and then (or short hard intervals on the trainer) on the bike. This won't tire you out, it will freshen you mind, and keep your muscle energy systems and cardiovascular pumps primed and ready to go.

All that said, 2 x swim/bike/run each week is just fine. Volume this week about half of what you were doing last month, and next week, no more than 5 hours needed (apart from the race itself!)

• Options
    Did 10.10 miles this morning in 80 minutes with 20+ minutes of it at zone 2. Felt great. I don't know what my TSB is but certainly found the run "short" compared to what we had gotten accustomed to on Thursdays. I've been light on my # of open water swims so I'm looking forward to planned openwater swims Friday & Sunday to boost my confidence.

Gave my bike a good cleaning yesterday afternoon. Cassette and chain into a tub of degreaser. Bike sparkles. I still suspect there is a fair amount of gummy perform that I didn't remove because I cannot access or see it (primarily the headset and I'm on my way to new bearings)
  • Options
    Whew, another long swim in the books. Took it down a notch for the first half and finished in 1:08...glad that is done!

I somehow have developed a hot spot on my left foot below my two small toe's. I noticed it last Sunday and it's more annoying than anything. Kinda worried about whether it will heel fast enough and how it will feel after 140.6. I'm thinking I might shut down today's 40 minute run to rest it.
  • Options

Sprint tri (Lake Meridian) today. Tune-up/Shakedown for next weekend: 1/2 mi/15.8 mi/3.1 mi in 14:30/45:00/23:00. Passed the test: 0.98 IF for the bike. 1st in AG, would have won the one below & 2nd below that; 28/150 OA.

• Options
    Way to go Al... Times 3 it sounds like! That's really inspiring.