Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

James Barrett IMCDA race plan

Hey folks been with EN For some time but this is my first time writting down my race plans so feel free to pick apart

Wed.

Arrive Spokane on wed getting picked up by my niece or other family member...gather bags  pick up whats left of my Bike bag  as the TSA goons have either lost my keys or broken my handle or last case just thrown around the bag breaking the  hindges. Stop by the store for my Naked juice and apple sauce mmmmm..Get situated at the Home-front and after getting caught up with family get bike back together. and get a good nights sleep

Thursday

Athlete check in and bike recon on the hills with the team, possibly a short swim if i feel like the water temp is cold...cold water and I don't really get along to well its a love hate relationship..more hate..Team dinner at Crickets that evening always a good time  then back home to get early sleep 

Friday

Recon swim then The 4 keys talk at 10:30. go home and get all bags packed for check in on saturday  do the hills recon run  in the afternoon as i am staying just a mile or so up from the course hill portion by Anthoneys, return home and go over my bags again as i always get spun on "do i have everything"..Re evaluate special need bag 

Saturday

Try to sleep in but not likley eat well and continue to drink fluids not beer although im not promising anything if its early..rest of day just kick back and relax  watch a movie bla bla bla eat a medium dinner and try to get to bed early so i can toss and turn more than usual

morning bag- wetsuit,2 pair of goggles booties and neoprene cap with-wax ear plugs a gel and a couple salt tabs and 32 oz of sports drink and Garmin 910

T-1...Helmet,sunglasses,butt butter,socks ,shoes and Official EN bike jersey(will have singlet and hr monitor on during swim)spray sunscreen, rolled up arm warmers/coolers

T-2...more socks if needed, running shoes ,hat Race belt with 5 gels and salt tabs(will use perform and water on course)

bike sn-..1 extra tube and 1 extra co2, last bottle of 750 calorie Infinite bottle(will mix at 65 mile mark whick will give me the nutrition last 2 hours ,extra butt butter

run sn-..couple gels and salt tabs just in case

Sunday

wake up if i get some sleep at 2am down a 320 naked juice then lay back down then up at 330 to eat 4 cups appple sauce with  whey protein another naked juice and a couple cups of coffee...then wait for it to pass..start sipping sports drink till the warm up for the swim finish admin stuff like dropping off special needs bags,putting fuel on bike ,pumping up tires get wetsuit on with a throw away top ..continue to hydrate and get 1 gel and a salt tab 1/2 hour before my 115-130 seed time for the swim

Goal- is to not rush things or get caught up in other peoples demons and execute like i did on my race rehersals...steady is fast fast is steady(pray no cramping in the water...always an issue with me)

Bike

out of the water grab my bag and strip my own wet suit off,put jersey on sunglasses helmet,socks then shoes( in that order) spray sunscreen on and ease my way to the bike no big hurry, Mount up then after the intown comotion subsides roll up my sleeve warmers and start my nutrition..garmin timer set every 10 minutes 2 sips infinite concentrate and 3-4 big gulps of water to wash down salt tab every 30 minutes and a gel every hour(for at leat the first 3 as i dont like it after a while) Infinate bottle has 750 calories in a 24oz bottle which lasts me 2 hours..second bottle i will have to mix on the course so baggie with powder is already in my jersey. goal here is not to spike the watts to much on the hills and be consistent at 160 ish watts  time goal is 6:20 bike

Run

spin high cadence last mile or so hand off the bike ,grab my bag change socks and shoes,,take off jersey , hat on Keep same sunglasses on race belt number  reapply sunscreen..look at heart rate and walk out of transition if necessary need to be 120 or so to be effective on the run..pace goal is 10:30 mile for the first 6 or so miles..get the legs and heart rate in check  walking 20-30 steps per end of aid stations ..will drink performe every station and wash down with 6 or so oz water till i am burping back up the back off (this is all depending on temperature so will have to keep an eye on bloating...continue with a salt tab every 30 minutes..after the turn around settle in at 9:30-10 min pace till last 6 miles then ill be in the suck so might as well be in it less time . I will continue to monitor heart rate but im sure it will have drifted in the 140;s by now just hold on till the last mile or so then whatever i have leave ill leave there

any thoughts or emotional outbursts would be appreciated

James

Comments

• Options
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast I think is Rich's mantra.
    Make sure you have your power ranges written down or know them inside and out. The first 60 minutes should be about .65 IF the rest .68-.73 IF and also have a ceiling that your not willing to go over (usually 105% of your race intensity) that way when you hit those hills you don't spike for too long. I will have those three numbers written on my stem to look at all day. Then just glue yourself to your display.
    Good luck and look forward to meeting you Thursday night.
  • Options
    Hi James...I don't have access to my athlete guide right now... I thought they said no booties in the water but I could b wrong... Would just double check... See u at crickets!
  • Options

From the athlete's guide: "No Aqua socks (neoprene booties) unless the water temperature is 65.0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder."

Meaning if the temp is below 65.1F, you CAN wear booties. Try them out first; for some people, they will fill up with water and act ike a mini anchor. Others seem to do just fine with them.

• Options

Thanks for the feed back,

i am pretty sure the water temp is going to be well below 65 so im in with the booties and if not then it will be a better swim with the warmer temps did i mention cold water and i don't really get along . 65 degrees is a heat wave compared to st George or CDA 2 years ago

i had one pair of booties that would fill up but the blue seventy does not so ive kinda adopted the brand..doesn't help really with the cold that much but i feel much better with something covering my feet up to transition for feet protection on some hidden dangers in the sand and the rocks just inside the exit chute

congratulations Al on your race 

see you all in a few days