Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

miami 70.3

Its on my radar for 2015.  First 'destination' race I will have to fly to.  Hoping to create a mini racecation for the family as well.

What's the course like?  Is it worth the trip? 

Comments

• Options

Satish,

did this race in 2011 because I lived in Miami at that time Very, very flat. Only 'hill' is the causeway going to South Beach that you have run over ( both directions) twice. The bike is a long out and back, not very scenic. There are several hotels within walking distance from the start, but they usually sell out fast. If not staying right there in a hotel, parking was easy. They opened up American Airlines Arena ( where the Heat play) for parking. I don't know if they still do that, but it was very easy to find parking and walk to transition area. 

• Options
    I'm doing it again this year. Great location, venue is very well suited for a big tri. The Intercontinental (very nice hotel - stay there if the race discount fare of around $250/nt is doable for you) is 50 feet from TA, with Hyatt and Holiday Inn across the street. Swim is the prize. Crystal clear ocean swim in protected bay. Wetsuits typically ok. Bike is pancake flat, boring highway, guaranteed strong headwind either the 26 miles out or on the return. There's a lot of organized drafting. Run is pretty good. Basically a few miles along the bayside, then over a pretty beastly bridge, turn around, come back over the bridge, do it all again on the second loop. Heat, wind, and 4x over that bridge can cause problems. But if the heat is decent, it's a pretty fast course.

I do the race because it's an hour drive from home. If I had to fly, it's not a race I would do multiple times because Miami's not my thing, and St. Croix and San Juan are short flights from here. But if you like Miami or have always wanted to visit, you'll probably enjoy it.