Home General Training Discussions
Options

No Power for me :(

Since I am not training with power right now, is it okay to ride a spin bike since I am looking at HR only or do I need to by a trainer now.  It is finally getting cold in TX and I am a sissy when that happens so indoors  I go.

Comments

• Options

Two factors for this answer- can you exactly(or even close enough) replicate the fit of your race bike with a spin bike? Do you own the spin bike ie it's already in your pain cave, or is it something you use at a gym or elsewhere? Most of us ride our own bikes on trainers because it's convenient and allows us to dial in the position. Just some thoughts.

Lynne

• Options

I use the spin bike at the gym a few times last year to break it up a bit. I just waited to the class was over then went in by myself. If you can get in a good position I would say it is good to use once in a while. But if you can ride your own bike as much as you can.

• Options

I recently read this article which got me scratching my head trying to figure out if there was any validity to what this guy is saying:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/bik...vs-cycling

I'd be curious to hear what other in the haus think as well!

If you do decide to use the spin bikes at your gym, I would caution against just goining the spin class.  While they are excellent workouts (and I do like to drop in on them for fun to break things up now and then)- they don't typically replicate the actual kind of work that the is built into the OS plan. 

• Options

yes it is my spin bike.  

Today I did go to the spin class but did not participate.  I just needed some loud music and company.  After my last interval the instructor actually got of the bike and came to ask if I was okay!  The class was resting and I was dying.  She didn't know I was in there doing my own thing.  My wife started laughing at me. Anyway, I figure if you are sticking to the work then its all GOOD.  which brings us back to the original question.

I did read the article at slowtwitch and I don't usually have the problem of the wheel continuing to spin when I stop pedaling.  At least when there is appropriate resistance.

• Options

Hi Paul,

Your bike, on your trainer, would be a better option. Used trainer on ebay?

• Options
    Posted By Nemo Brauch on 17 Nov 2009 09:53 AM

I recently read this article which got me scratching my head trying to figure out if there was any validity to what this guy is saying:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/bik...vs-cycling

I'd be curious to hear what other in the haus think as well!

I would say a bike is a bike. Riding your bike outside is best, on a trainer is second best, your bike on rollers is third best, a spin bike in a gym is fourth best...anything less than that and you should just go run.

FWIW, a decent trainer is like 200-300, has a lifetime warranty (Saris) and is pretty much bulletproof...waaaay better than spending all that $$ on a gym membership!

Patrick

• Options
    You might as well just accept the fact that you need a power meter...maybe if you are very good and write a nice letter to santa :-)

• Options

Trainer it is.  I can lug it and the bike to work too.  Thanks for all the help.  

And here was my post from another thread:

Santa is looking around for a PM.  I have already put my stocking by the fireplace and now the kids keep asking when they can put there's up.  I'm a horrible dad. 

• Options
    As a spinning instructor I dont have much of a choice . I also feel a bike is a bike and as it is my job I try to incorporate my EN plan into my class and they all have to do my 2x15 ' with me . I did hear someone say they needed to mentally prepare for my class ! . My only worry is I spend more time on the bike than my plan requires .
  • Options
    Tina,

extra time on a spin bike should not hurt you much at all. Unless you are not able to hit your run targets I would not worry about it.

Would be an interestingish spin class, 10 minute warmup followed by a 2x20 (2)...hmmm maybe I will take someone up of the offer to be a sub instructor one of these days and make very few friends :-)