Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Lake Placid Gear, and Gears

Coming from the flat, below sea level New Orleans area, I assume I'm going to need to change my cassette for LP.  My crank is a 53/39, what kind of cassette range are you all running?

Also, I asked a while ago, but I'll ask again:  Does anyone think I'll have any problem running Zipp 808s, with the carbon clincher?  Not worried about weight so much, more about braking.

Those of you from around there, or have raced there have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options

50/34 Crank & 11 - 28 Cassette. Braking is a plus. Depending on your ability to descend, there are a couple of spots where carbon wheels/braking surface is not optimal. Ken at the Placid Planet (Best Bike Shop) has had heat damaged wheels from braking on Route 73.  Good luck

• Options
    My first time but I'm also running a 50/34 and 11-28. No experience with carbon though.
  • Options
    I have 11-28 and a 50-34, and was happy that I had that. There were a bunch of riders that are much stronger than me that also had the same setup, and were very happy with it.

• Options

Good recs here on the gearing.

What's your experience with speed on the bike? A what speed will you put on the brakes? The downhill is about 7-8mi long. You'll hit speeds north of 45mph, guaranteed. You'll be north of 35mph for pretty much all of it. So if you get wigged north of 35mph and are on the brakes a looonnggg time to stay there...that might be an issue. 

• Options

Thanks all for the responses.

Well coach, I haven't been north of 35 in several years.  I've watched the videos on youtube and I think there is a good chance I'll start off riding the brakes, and hopefully letting loose.  Guy at my bike shop claims the Firecrest Zipp carbon clinchers we designed so that overheating wasn't an issue, but I'm not so sure.

• Options
    Might be a good idea to use a car and driver on race week to get a ride out of town, ride the downhill, then get back into the car and carry on. Or ride of town. Either way, get a chance to ride the downhill without tons of squirrelly triathletes around you, learn where the bumps are, etc.
  • Options
    Looking at the responses, I see that most have 50/34 chain rings.  Since I have a 53/39, can I get away with an 11/28 cassette or should I look into a smaller chainring as well?
  • Options

http://www.muggaccinos.com/Rides_St...0hills.htm

This is what I found, on the internet so no idea if its sound advice...

• Options

Posted By Ethan Hales on 02 Jun 2014 05:18 PM

Looking at the responses, I see that most have 50/34 chain rings.  Since I have a 53/39, can I get away with an 11/28 cassette or should I look into a smaller chainring as well?

We're big on compact cranks here, search the wiki for an excellent article by William Jenks. 

You'll be fine with the 53/39, no need for you to spend the dough, considering you're in about the flatest city US 

• Options

Ethan,

I am not getting into LP until Friday, but I plan on getting a ride out of town, ride down into Keene and have my family pick me up at the bottom if you are interested in doing this, I have room.  This will be my 4th LP, I am pretty familiar with the course and would be happy to take you down the descent.

frank

• Options

Frank,

My brother and I plan on riding some of the course (including Keene) at about 1230 on Friday.  We have our wives to drop us off and pick us up, but if you are in LP by then we would love a guide!