Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2014 IM Racine 70.3 Official race captain thread

Hello Racine people!

I am looking forward to being the EN volunteer race captain at Racine this year.  We are a small but elite group!  Please check to be sure you are subscribed to the IM Racine 70.3 forum.  That will help to ensure you are up to date with all the Racine info from Brenda at EN and myself.

I am in the process of nailing down a place for lunch for the team on July 19.  If you have a favorite spot that you want to suggest, please let me know.

While you are racking up the training miles, you can pass the time by composing a short personal bio that we will ask you to submit in July. 

More updates to come!!

Wendy

Comments

• Options
    Hey Wendy, thanks for volunteering, doesn't look like a lot of EN folks are participating. I look forward to meeting you.
  • Options
    Hello Racine people! 5 weeks out this weekend!! How is the training going??

Thanks ( belatedly) to Niels for his posting. I'm also doing the ITU Chicago Oly.......I think I counted over 60 turns on that quadruple lap bike course!!!

Wondering if there are any Racine 70.3 newbies out there, or anyone who has Racine as their first ever HIM?? I could have answered "yes" to both those questions last year.

For those of you new to Lake Michigan, here are links to water temps and winds speeds/directions for the big lake. Racine is south of Milwaukee, about 25% of the distance between Milwaukee and Calumet.

http://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_animation.shtml?ofsregion=lm&subdomain=0&model_type=wtemp_forecast

http://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_animation.shtml?ofsregion=lm&subdomain=0&model_type=wind_forecast

Time to send some warming vibes to the lake !

Wendy

• Options

Two weeks to Racine!! 

Lake Michigan is still below 50 degrees!   According to one source, the WTC may alter the swim course for temps below 52.  Does anyone have more info on this?  Temps can change overnight ( and they have been doing that) so we can hope we catch the lake in a warmer mood.

For those who are interested, I would like to offer Chubbie's Pizzeria and Sandwich Shop  619 High Street in Racine as an option for a quick bite the day before the race.

http://www.google.com/maps/place/61...328df0e4f2

Chubbie's is a 2 minute drive from transition and seems to have adequate on-street parking. Here is a link to their menu:

http://www.chubbiesracine.com/ 

There are at least 6 of us doing Racine so, if we can get a quorum of 3 or more, I'll put in a reservation.  Please RSVP by July 13 ( next Sunday).

There is a race briefing from 11:30 TO 12:30 on Saturday July 19, and bike check-in starts at noon.  Does somewhere around 1-1:30 sound good for lunch?

Hope the training is going well!!  Don't forget to submit your race bio!!

Wendy

• Options
    Hi Wendy and team! Im good for lunch on the 19th at 1 or so. Looking foward to meeting everyone one!
  • Options
    Hey Wendy - Sorry I'm late to the party. Thought I would let you know that I will NOT be able to have lunch with the Team on Saturday. We're traveling down to Racine on Saturday and not sure what time we'll get there. Looking forward to meet/see the Team pre/during/post race.

Cheers Everyone!

Tim
  • Options

Thanks for the heads-up Tim.  Safe travels to Racine on Saturday. and have a great race!

As of right now, I have the names of 5 EN people doing Racine.  In case you missed it, Brenda sent out a link to add your name, bib number, and contact info to the team roster spreadsheet.   Deadline to add your name is Sunday July 13.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eb#gid=156

We hit our quorum for lunch at Chubbies!!  Matt W., Niels H., and myself ( with a "maybe" from Carl N.)have signed up.  So unless things change, let's plan to meet up there around 1pm.  There is a place on the team roster spreadsheet to add your cell #.  This could be useful on Saturday if people's plans change.  Feel free to bring any and all friends and family to lunch!

Went for a 30 minute swim in Lake Michigan this morning near Milwaukee.  Calm and 52 degrees!  That is a cold water PR for me.

Enjoy taper week!

Wendy

• Options
    Wendy, I have two friends who'll be joining us at lunch, hope that's OK, they are fairly new age groupers.
  • Options
    Sounds great, Niels.
  • Options

Another Racine water temp guide. It's up to 55 degrees!!

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Racine/seatemp

• Options
    Do people wear neoprene caps and booties at that temperature?
  • Options

The good news is the lake seems to be warming up a bit!  Last night in Milwaukee the water was 60 just off the beach with a patchwork of temperatures (warm and cold) as you swam along the shore.  Definitely could tell there was mixing of warmer eastern water with the colder western water.   Official IM rules state:

No aqua socks (neoprene booties)

unless the water temperature is 65.0

degrees Fahrenheit or colder. 

With temps in the low to mid 50's, I have experimented with wearing neoprene socks occasionally. They are a pain to remove, especially with cold, uncoordinated fingers. I don't plan on wearing them for the race.  With temps below the low 60's, many people wear 2 swim caps or a neoprene cap under their swim cap.  As far as I know, if a wetsuit is legal, a neoprene cap is legal.  It someone has other info I would be interested in hearing it.  For temps around 51, I have found that a 3 cap technique works great for me:  silicone cap first, then neoprene, then another silicone.  Keeps the cold water out of my ears and even keeps my hair dry.

All this offered with the proviso " nothing new on race day".

Hope this is somewhat useful.

Wendy

• Options
    "Thank You"
  • Options
    Team - Looking for a favor. Will anyone have a bike pump I can use Race morning?
  • Options
    I plan to arrive by 5am, park close to transition and will have a bike pump.
    Wendy
  • Options
    Thanks Wendy! I hoping to arrive at the transition area by 5:30. That is if my son-in-law cooperates with me on race morning and gets going asap. Please don't let me disrupt your race morning ritual. If you have the pump when I get there Great and if not. Not a problem. I'm sure I can borrow someone else's. Looking forward to meeting you on race day.

Thanks for being a Awesome Race Captain! You're the Best!!!

Have a Great Race.

Cheers!
    Tim