Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

2014 IMMT Week 16

Awesome race rehearsal reports from last week!  Campers get to have a day or 2 to absorb the volume from the week end.  The rest of us are back at it, depending on your circumstances.  My back is feeling better from a morning massage from my wife.  She's wonderful and you will all get to meet her at the race dinner. Don't forget to start ordering stuff for the race so you get it shipped in time to pack. Hoping you all have a good week 16.

Comments

• Options

nice work everyone.

almost back to full gas two weeks post bike wipeout.             hit my full bike workout saturday.    almost full length long run on sunday with good intervals (note I am doing a somewhat coach personalized plan).

as of today, I can finally swim without bad chest/back pain.

remember to hit your post workout nutrition and hydration.

hone in on your race goal bike power.      doesn't matter what your ftp is now.        does matter what watts you can hold for your projected bike time.

• Options
    Mon = rest...tues=recovery swim...wed = back at it but lower intensity

@ Robin...."does matter what watts you can hold for your projected bike time"...i've seen others (cronk) reference similar statements...can you expound or point where to read more....not sure i totally understand this....holding watts for 6.5-7 hrs isn't the same as holding watts and then ready to run 26
  • Options
    Don't mean anything special jeff. Folks should think of zeroing in on their race goal watts. Rough calculations of this based on ftp are past. Ftp doesn't matter at this late stage. What you put out in the race does. Just the way i have come to look at it with thoughts from tim, etc.
  • Options

Posted By robin sarner on 16 Jul 2014 07:50 AM

Don't mean anything special jeff. Folks should think of zeroing in on their race goal watts. Rough calculations of this based on ftp are past. Ftp doesn't matter at this late stage. What you put out in the race does. Just the way i have come to look at it with thoughts from tim, etc.

I agree with this ^^ as well.   At this point, your 5 or 6 hour power is more important than your FTP.  Certainly we need our FTP to train and to get an "estimate" of what we "should" be riding to (NP wise) on raceday.  But this number should be refined and proven through your race rehearsals or other similar long rides.  What really matters for the actual race is the shape of your power curve (i.e. does your endurance support "x"% of your FTP for your expected "y"hr bike split).  RR1 should have given you a pretty good idea. Did you feel great?  Did you overcook? Now RR2 can be used to either go a little harder, a little easier, or exactly the same depending on what you learned from RR1 and what you are trying to accomplish.

• Options
    After taking Monday and Tuesday off to recover  from the weekend I had a great ride Wednesday night only to be followed by an awful run last night.  I had to call it quits at mile 8.3 due to intense pain in my left hip.  Bummed.  At least tonight is a swim.   Crossing fingers my weekend is better.   Getting concerned.  We are only 4 weeks out. Yikes!
  • Options
    Leslie...make sure you get plenty of rest.  Last year at IMWI I crashed badly 5 weeks before the race; didn't break any bones but bruised my hip badly and sllight dislocation of my shoulder.  Took 2 weeks off almost completely and then 3 weeks of slowly getting back into it.  Only ran 3 times in last two weeks before the race; nothing long or hard.  AND I had a great race... finished in 11:26 PR by 32 minutes.  At this point you've done +95% of the hard training, so now it is time to do hard resting.  Rest is a magical thing after all the hard work we do in EN.  Rest up & you'll be ok for the race.
  • Options
    @Lelsie, I second what Bruce said. 4-6 weeks before very IM I've done all sorts of ailments and maladies creep up. From foot, knee, shoulder, neck pain to most recently backaches, rest and a little physical therapy always seem to fix the problem.
  • Options
    For the love of..... last night's long run was tough. When I read it, 60 mins at Z1, 70 at Z2 and then drop the hammer/speed up as much as possible, I felt ok.

The first 60 mins felt pretty good, but that Z2 set felt super hard, like, so hard that my brain and legs were at odds the whole run. Recovery protocol from camp was followed, so I'm not sure whether I just need to HTFU, or realize that sometimes the body is still absorbing hard work, so when you throw some more at it, it's like"More HARD WORK????? I'll teach you, I'll make it feel HARDER!!"

Anyway, short of laying down beside the pathway in hopes of dying so that a groundhog would eat me for dinner, because that what I wanted to do, I had no choice but to finish the session. I didn't hit all my zones to a T, but it got done, despite the Meh of it all.... I can't lie, really happy that next week is our longest run before race day.
  • Options
    Nice work, Nicole. Way to hang in there. I gotta say though, my wife says she saw lots of wildlife up there when she was talking walks on the trails. More than just deer so you might want to keep that in mind on that second lap of the marathon. Best to aim for finishing before sundown. ;-)
  • Options

@ Nicole...good work.  It is supposed to be hard at this point in the training.  The Z2 and Z3  efforts in the long run are to simulate what you'll feel at the end of the IM run, but without destroying your legs by asking you to run 20+ miles in training.   In my almost 4 years with EN, the Z2 & Z3 effort at the end of the of the long run is the MOST important training session we do for an IM.  It is what sets EN apart from other programs and is what sets up ENers to keep running at the end of an IM while most everyone else is walking.  On race day, your racing self will thank your training self for working hard in the long training run. 

Sounds like you are on track for a solid race.  Well done!

• Options
    Thanks guys, I'm very familiar with the "why" of the EN plan, history shows that I will be happy about it on race day. This is where the magic happens!
  • Options
    @Peter Wick ... does that mean I need to hang a cow bell around my neck for the second 1/2 of the run ... to scare off the wildlife?  Yikes!
  • Options
    I would go with some jingle bells. They're lighter and wouldn't swing up and bop you in the kisser. You could make something like one of those wrist corsages they wear at proms. Just keep it in your run special needs bag just in case. Eh, just aim to finish before 7PM. That's what I did last year and it worked for me. ;-)

You know I'm totally kidding, don't you? You'll have plenty of company on the course to keep the 4-footed spectators back in the cheap seats.

True story though. I stuck around for the midnight festivities, mainly because I actually could instead of lying comatose in a bed somewhere, and that meant a long walk in the dark for me and my wife back to our car. Going up this hill on the run course we came upon a deer standing in the wide strip of grass between the road and a paved walking path. He was just grazing there calmly. When we got to about 10 feet from him he looks up as to say "Hey guys, be cool. There's plenty for everybody." He didn't scamper away and just watched us shuffle on by. Never been that close to a live deer before.
  • Options
    Whew! Deer ... I'm not so worried about - see them all the time on rides in the country. Just those other 4 footed creatures (I'm thinking of those IM Canada pictures). 7 PM would be a dream i could only imagine having!
  • Options
    Wildlife as in bears????
  • Options

Okay. All joking aside, yes, it is a ski resort in the mountains. There will be wildlife around in that beautiful area. Have I heard of any incident involving wildlife during the race? No. I suppose it is possible but do not worry about it. Not at all. Not even those pikes in the lake. Good fishing though.

• Options
    only pike and snapping turtles to worry about in the water.       and aggressive coyotes and wolverines on the run.
  • Options

Oh! That's right! I forgot about them wolverines. Shame on me! UM '91, '95

• Options
    That's it ... I'm packing my badger (as in bucky) hat!!  UW '99 (I was on the long-term plan! )
  • Options
    Belated thanks to Bruce and George for support. Im looking forward to the taper! I'm just concerned because my longest run so far is 13.1 miles. We have a race rehearsal this week and I'm taking a vacation day to do it so hopefully it will go well.

Question for you smart experienced folks: what do you think the least amount of miles someone should run before an IM? I know the coaches say to stop running after a set time, but as a slow runner (well, shuffler really) I'll never surpass 15 miles in a practice run. It makes me nervous going into a marathon with only 15 miles as my longest run.

• Options
    Leslie - as a slow runner as well,I understand your concern. I think the most I did in prep for an Ironman was about 16 miles and that would have only been one or two long runs. I think the key was doing the work within the run. Remember that you'll be doing a combination of running and walking on the marathon, so it doesn't require as much straight up running. Really, if you've been doing the run workouts and the long run, you'll be fine. And, it's helpful to remember (at least it is for me) that you're running one mile at a time - just aid station to aid station (or more if you're feeling good).
  • Options
    Thanks Sue! Good to know you can do an IM on only 16 miles. I'll keep the faith, follow the plan, and see you all at the finish line!image
  • Options
    Good luck healing all.

I believe just run the long run time regardless. Wiki has a thing on this topic.