Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

On course menu

Maybe a coach question, but here goes...
I've been training with and planning on using the Perform on course. Are there other flavors on the bike corse as well? Is there a chance I'll get handed some Nash flavor when I ask for Perform?
I'm more concerned reading some of the comments I've seen about flavors other than the lemon lime on the run course. Does anyone know if there is a choice or just one flavor offered? I'm pretty sure anything other than lemon lime, which I had to force myself to get used to bc I hate citrus-flavored and tropical-flavored drinks, will make me gag. I'm thinking mango or passion fruit or some other concoction is not going to be my friend on race day, particularly on the run, and trying not to throw up on the run (it's just not something I enjoy).
Any suggestions? I was not planning to run with my fuel belt but have only trained with lemon lime Perform (or water).

Comments

• Options
    Last Year (2013) on the bike it was Lemon-Lime, and on the Run it was "Orange-Mango". No choices, it is one combo flavor.
    I have no idea where they come out with that stuff, it is not like you could buy it anywhere even if you wanted to.

• Options
    Antoinette - I volunteered on the run course last year. John is correct about the mango flavor. I've also been training with Perform and the only thing that I've been able to buy is lemon-lime. Not sure why they do this to us image I'm going to just go with what they have, but I guess carrying your own is an option. I just checked the athlete guide and it only specifies "Ironman Perform" on bike and run. Maybe there is a contact that you can email or when you get to LP, it'll be more defined.
  • Options
    Yes, only lemon-lime powder available in the US and no premixed bottles available for sale. Oh well, I will either bring my own or use water and coke.
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    I train with lemon-lime and use the on course mango with no problems. I think that perform is perform. I wouldn't recommend carrying your own perform just due to flavor. I would only use coke toward then end of your run when nothing else is working. Coke does not have enough sodium.
  • Options

If you MUST have lemon-lime Perform/don't think you can tolerate the orange, then I would use a fuel belt, personally (the max volume, 4 bottle one).  I would put extra fuel belt bottles in RSN, and switch them out when your first set of bottles run out.  Water and coke are going to leave you with not enough sodium and not as much calories either, so if you go that route, I'd add some salt tabs periodically and/or gels.  Recommend using the nutritional calculator to make sure you're getting enough sodium and calories, especially the sodium if it is hot.    

• Options

I'm going to see if I can tolerate the Orange-Mango.  Perhaps they have "samples" prior to race day.  

And I will be using gels throughout the run for calories and sodium.

• Options

FWIW, I much prefer the lemon-lime flavor made from the powder.  The premix lemon-lime stuff is much more sour.  I actually prefer the orange stuff over the lemon-lime premix!  

• Options
    I also really like the orange mango! Wish I could buy it!
  • Options
    I've never tasted the orange-mango and would like a sample as well! Hopefully the change of flavor on race day will make the medicine go down better!