Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽโ€บ 140.6 Forumsโ€บ Ironman Wisconsin
Options

7 Weeks

So I guess I'll start the 7 weeks to go - first 6 hour ride scheduled for this weekend, followed by Camp Week!! next week.ย  Think I might have to shift the order of at least one of the workouts there, but won't get ahead myself yet; gotta get through this week first.ย  The intervals in the pool were a rough order today.ย  Looking forward to the longer sets tomorrow.ย  Have a great week ya'll.

ย 

Mark

Comments

• Options
    It has been great watching everyone make good progress on their training! Time is moving so fast now... hard to believe its only 7 weeks away. Overall making progress as planned - I have really enjoyed the EN plan and coaches insights. Not to mention all the banter in the forum's.

Hope everyone has an awesome week!

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks for starting the thread Mark H. 6 hour this weekend? your going to be a bike volume beast with that ride and camp next week!

Mark F. great to hear your making progress as planned! It feels good both physically and mentally to know things are shaping up good for the race.

Crazy busy work day yesterday!!! I made to the track early this morning both to beat the heat of the day and get the run in before work became overwhelming. I had a mile and a half warm-up run from the house. My legs were still feeling tired from the weekends biking. At the track hit both mile intervals at 6:20 pace. I'm very happy with the effort especially on tired legs. Ran back to the house for my cool down and ended with just over 5 miles. Swim is up next!

Have a great Tuesday Team!
  • Options
    Hey All! I've been on vacation in beautiful SW Michigan this week, so I'm late to the party this week! Got in a solid 5 mile run while up there, and a ride-but unfortunately no swimming yet this week because my plan to swim in Lake Michigan fell through with the beach rip current warnings after the storm Tuesday night! So I'm hitting up the pool with a run today, going to hit my long run in the morning, and get ready for a weekend of riding!

Eric-Are you still heading to Madison this week? Should be good weather Saturday!

Mark F.-will you be heading to Madison for the camp week? Wait till you hear the banter in person...image

Mark H.-I'm also looking forward to the camp week! Just have to buy some new bike shorts to prep for it....haha

Great job everyone!
  • Options
    Hey Lauren, yes I'm heading to Madison Woo Hoo! You were in Sourhwest MI? You should have given me a shout out I live in SWMI! image

Getting settled tonight in Madison. My plan is race reheare the bike tomorrow followed by a 6 mile run. Same thing on Saturday. Sunday I'm running the course probably 16-20 miles. It will be the same flavor as camp just not with all the EN peeps which is a bummer. I may not have a cycle partner but my girlfriend Sarah will be running with me which is cool.

Training this week has been a challenge. Work has been stupid. I'm not getting the pool time I need. I feel I'm lagging in that area of the training. I'm spot on with the bike and doing ok with the run. After this weekends volume I'm going to beardown and make training my priority for the last 6 weeks.

I hope everyone has a good weekend of training and as always crush it!
  • Options
    Hi gang~

Pretty good week, been very busy with work so I have had to juggle my workouts around a bit but I am getting it done (mostly) :-). I did an abbreviated long run his morning, guess it was just short, just 70 min (stupid meetings) and will be running a local 5k tonight.

The big thing for me this week is updating my aerobars! I've noticed as the miles / time increase my wrists have begun to hurt when I rise out of aero to brake. I have s-bend bars and was looking to replace them with ski-bend bars. Well one thing leads to another, as it often does, and I am ending with with the Profile Design T3+ Carbon aerobars. This will replace my stock Felt DA4 bars with something more adjustable and comfortable. I am hoping like heck they get here before Camp Weekend, as hard as I tried I could not find them locally.

Swim tomorrow. Local Sprint Tri on Sat, followed by more biking (weather depending, or I will be on the drainer - I need to do a sweat test anyway...). More biking/running on Sunday.

Glad to hear all is going well for everyone
  • Options
    Great job getting the training in Mike! Sounds like your making a good adjustment for comfort with the aero bars. Plenty of time to get use to the new feel and fit before race day.

Hope you kick some at the 5k and Sprint Tri!
  • Options
    Mike - I change mine to ski bend and it made a huge difference. You will be happy with those

Tried to swim Lake Michigan this morning, but wimped out - it was freezing cold.
  • Options

I got the bars today, still waiting for the risers - looking at the setup, I am going to be happy I made the change.

Also, I PR'd the 5K last night - Woo Hoo!

Cheers

• Options
    Sweet Mike on both getting the bars and the PR! Have fun with those new run zones!

We'll ride #1 on the IMWI bike course ended on mile 21 on Messerschdit. I was cranking up a hill and chain came off which I thought was odd. It turned out my rear chain de-railer had snapped when I shifted gears. I called my girlfriend to come get me. I was very disappointed. The weather was overcast a little rainy and wind gust from every direction. Not perfect riding conditions but great for race rehearsal. The ride had been going awesome. The course was beautiful, roads were in good shape for the most part. I got my bike back to Madison and dropped it off at Machinery Row. Frame was bent, new rear-derailer, new chain $270.00. Prognosis negative for the long term of the bike due to the frame bend. The good news it will be put back together and ready this evening so i can attack the course tomorrow. I got a good 6 mile run from the hotel along the lake and back. Hopefully tomorrow will go better. Better to have all the troubles in training rather than on race day.

Train on team!
  • Options
    Eric,,

So sorry to hear about your rear derailleur and frame, as you said "Better to have all the troubles in training than on race day".

To be honest, I am not 100% sure I am going to bump my training zones, maybe I am dogging it a little -> call it first timer nerves but I really don't want to get myself in to trouble on the run. I am already in a negative mindset about the run, I don't want to add anymore pressure while I crawl of of my negative run place...
  • Options
    Mike-If it helps, EVERY long run of mine this summer has been terrible. We only need one good long run-on September 7th image I'd try out the new run zones. You may surprise yourself. And when we get closer to race day, I'm sure we can start a forum post about adjusting VDots for the Ironman marathon. I know there is info in the wiki about this but not exactly sure where it is at. Congrats on the new PR image

Eric-I'm with Mike. Better today than September 7th. Sucks but you'll be an animal out there tomorrow! Have a great ride!

• Options
    Good to hear that everyone is hammering the workouts and working out all the kinks now instead of race week. Has been a pretty positive week for me, other than the denizens of the pool becoming more and more unpredictable; floaters, 25m racers, and social hours are ramping up. Hopefully those minor nuances will be the worse thing thrown at me during this build up. Can't believe I'm actually looking forward to a 5-hour ride tomorrow. Last year I rode a total of 1 ride up to 90 miles; should be 3 in the next 8 days. Have a great weekend.
    Mark
  • Options
    Awesome to hear everyone getting primed for Camp. I have work commitments that will keep me away from the camp next week - plan to do the similar workouts the following week. Looking forward to hearing how everyone does!

Mark F
  • Options
    Long ride done, Sprint Triathlon done -> 1st place in AG, Woo Hoo! After a terrible swim last night I am glad my swim this morning went good, I needed that! I don't think I was passed on the bike or the run. I know I passed a bunch of people on the bike, and a few people on the run. All-in-all I would say today was a Win. :-)
  • Options
    Congrats Mike! Way to go on the AG Win!!!

Mark-Looking forward to hearing how your makeshift camp goes image

Eric-HOW did your ride go???

I was able to get in a great 80 miles today followed by a a 3500 yard swim (missed all my swims this week so it was necessary-but not easy to do after a long ride!) It got pretty hot out there today, but glad to get it done. Really looking forward to camp week!
  • Options
    Mike- Lauren is right about the run. There is nothing wrong with training at your new zones to build strength and racing at a more conservative pace. Great job on the AG win!

Lauren- great job on the bike and the swim!

Mark H- great to hear your week was good! It is funny how we start looking forward the long bikes.

Mark F- I was in the same situation with camp. Getting my volume this week (or at least was trying to)
    Bike ride went great today despite riding without my power meter. (My Garmin would not pick it up so no power pacing or RPMs). Rode 100% by feel. Perceived effort on the bike seemed ok. I ended up with a time of 6 hour 30 min. Which included several traffics stops and a pit stop for powerade in Mt. Horeb. The 6 mile run after felt good. Legs felt fresh for the run. I was real leery about riding without any source of pacing. The WI course is so technical I'm glad I got the experience (not on race day!). On race day I will be faster- more aero POWER Meter and no stopping for traffic. I'm confinement I can hit 6:15 on the course again or faster. Once again glad it happened in training and not on race day. All in all race rehearsal was a success!

Keep crushing it!

• Options
    Awesome to hear that the second attempt at your IMWI course ride went well Eric!

Today-I scored some mental toughness points. 2 hour treadmill run. Shoot me now. Haha But due to a number of factors (waking up late, needing to be close to home, heel kinda tight) I stayed home and ran. Boy was I sweaty. image
  • Options
    I'm in awe that you mentally gutted out 2 hours on the dreadmill Lauren!! Great job getting it done!
  • Options
    Haha not my finest moments, I'll tell ya that. I think I even started growing at one point. So happy to be done! image And my legs feel a lot better this morning than they typically do after long runs...so there's that benefit!