Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Post race thread

It is now the second day after 2014 IMLP. I hope everyone is doing well. This was my second full Ironman and a repeat at IMLP. The race was completely different than last year. First and most obvious was the weather. It did rain during IMLP 2013, but nothing like this year.  Last year, the temperature was pretty constant. This year, I was actively shivering during the entire first loop of the bike. By my 70 I was over heating. Last year I was not part of any team or Tri-club. This year, being a member of Endurance Nation was a very pleasant change. It was great to see so many other people I have become acquainted with out there racing. I did miss seeing "Wonder Woman" at the camp grounds above White Face. Although, the naked guy was there. The crowds in town were great again and those lining "Papa Bear" on the bike and the final climb were inspiring. Having Patrick at the finish was fantastic. I also was able to be at the finish when one of my co-workers finished his first Ironman. 

Comments

• Options
    Edwin, i was very happy to see you and everyone out there getting it done. The support from all the volunteers, spectators, and other athletes on the course was just outstanding.

The first I found out anything about what happened in the lake was at after mile 20 when I talked to Laura Becker on the bike, and I never really had a real concept of what happened until Monday afternoon seeing a picture that Simon posted on Facebook. I am truly impressed at the strength to stick with it and fight through the mental monkey wrench that threw into the beginning of the day.

Great Job Everyone!!!

• Options
    This explains a lot... "Medication such as Aspirin (ASA), Ibuprofen, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories (NSAIDs), and Tylenol (Acetaminophen) interfere with kidney function and may contribute to hyponatremia. Taking such medication while racing is simply foolish." What do you do when you are incredible pain during the race?
  • Options

Posted By Terra Meierdierck on 29 Jul 2014 12:07 PM

This explains a lot... "Medication such as Aspirin (ASA), Ibuprofen, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories (NSAIDs), and Tylenol (Acetaminophen) interfere with kidney function and may contribute to hyponatremia. Taking such medication while racing is simply foolish." What do you do when you are incredible pain during the race?

What is the source of the pain? Is it pre-existing injury pain or OMG this race is really starting to hurt pain?

I've taken ibuprofen, stupidly, back in the day while racing. Total placebo, as pretty much everything is hurting very badly and it's not as if taking something actually improve anything...it just gives you something to do and makes you feel like you're doing "something" to maybe help yourself feel better? 

• Options
    Can't wait to hear all the post race stories! congrats to all the IMLP finishers!

My Vineman report will follow.....however.... I did get #9 AG, 64th. Overall. Loooooong transitions (its own story) and about 10-15 waisted min at bike/run aid stations.....

Swim 1:12 (even with shoulder issues) 11th AG
    Bike 6:26 (despite hr 10bpm higher than plan/NP10-20w higher)
    Run 4:36 on a neg split (I'll need to check what the garmin says...but I think the last 5k was aground 26min) 6th AG 45th overall
    12:31Total
    Oh did I mention it was >100deg at my marathon start......

I'm happy.
  • Options

Hi, Coach Rich,

I've been suffering from a knee injury since the IMLP training camp last month.  I rested it a bit and did see an orthopedist. He said it was an over use injury. They did some X-rays, but not an MRI... He put me on anti inflammatories and started me on a round of steroids a few days before the race.  At about mile 45 my knee started KILLING me.  I suspected this would happen... so I put Aleve in my bike special needs bag.  I took 4 - but really, I'm sure I needed them to get through the bike course.  My left knee started hurting me too - probably for over compensating for the right.  They were a mess - but I finished image that's what counts.  But - my belly was terrible on the run - bloated - I felt disgusting.  My fingers looked like sausages.  I read and I had all the symptoms of Hyponatremia.  I don't know if I couldn't have finished without taking something though. 

• Options
    As John said, it was great to see everyone getting it done out there. Not the day I planned as I'm sure everyone had at least one (if not several) monkey wrenches thrown at them that day! But perservernce was the word of the day for sure. I had not heard about swimmers getting pulled until I was on the run course, but I can tell you that while I was swimming, I heard the thunder reverberating through the lake...I had to make my box a whole lot smaller at that point. We all encountered the insanity on the first part of the bike...I guess I never imagined it being as bad as it actual was down the descent. At the end of the day, most of us made it across the finish line, and those that didn't, seem to be relatively ok physically. A woman I know from home was doubled over at the waist (think L shape) and somehow made it across the finish line, although she missed the cutoff. I saw a video of this, and I couldn't believe it. Lots of emotions still lingering, but one thing is certain....I already am thinking about my 2nd one!

Does anyone know for certain about how and when official results will be released?
  • Options
    http://www.sportstats.ca/displayResults.xhtml?racecode=109445

Try this link
    Search your name

I found my "real" full event results
  • Options
    First off. Is Woody OK? I heard on Monday that he may have had a bike crash?

Great job to everyone!

As Edwin said, it was great to see everyone out on the course! My day didn't go exactly as planned but I had a great day out there and really enjoyed the support of the EN athletes and support along the course, especially by the pub. image Will be working on my race report today as long as there are no crisis here at work. Unfortunately the 910 has chosen this event to be selfish with the data, I cannot get the data to upload. Planning on installing the old Ant Agent (instead of Express) on the PC at work and see if I can get it that way.

@Terra, You had the Kennebunk club as well as the EN team cheering you on at the finish! Great job!

@Brad, Tina and I had come back to the finish for the last couple of hours after dropping the bike back at the hotel and cleaning up; we were there as Leah? came in and made her way around the oval. She was really digging deep. I didn't hear anything about the swimmers being pulled until the run either.
  • Options

@Christopher, My 910XT didn't pair with my HR strap. That really didn't effect my run. It quickly became clear it was not going to be where I wanted.  I started with the correct pace, but the first sip of infinit I took nearly doubled me over with stomach cramps. I tried a couple more times to drink and had the same effect. I was sipping coke and water and using ice from the first aid station on River Road.

• Options

Just got home from LP and wanted to post a quick THANKS!!!  I love Team EN and if it weren't for all you ENers out there, the day would not have been complete.  Those racing and those cheering were awesome!  The best part was seeing Patrick when I crossed the finish line. 

As many of you said, the day was definitely what I had planned, but we got it done!  I could never have imagined the day the way it actually turned out, but at the end, we endured, we overcame and we crossed the line.  I got to visit the medical tent too; got a little more for my $700 registration than some of you image  I also had NO clue what happened during the swim until the end of the first bike loop.  My box was very small all day, I could barely fit in it!  Learned a lot on Sunday and would definitely do it again.

I was happy to hear despite everyone's problems, we are all in one piece....a little battered, but that's to be expected.

• Options

Wow sounds like everyone had a tough time up there!  real "test of execution" and adaptation....and perseverance!

@Christopher -I had the same issue. "History" shows the whole race and Laps showed the separate events...until I clicked on "map" for swim (see below-added more data to oversized record)...once it drew map I no longer could see the other intervals. Also none uploaded to Connect....small little test "runs" recorded after  did fine as well as my pre race WKOs......

And here is the problem.... (I called support but should have picked up on this when I had a 112 mile bike ride recently no show but the brick run upload fine _not in multi mode).....Not enough memory.   Should have "delete old" at least prior to big (Important) events. Multisport event is too big a chunk and gets truncated and will not be transmitted to computer for upload.

No recovery         Sorry.

• Options
    What a day. While it started out with some unplanned things happening it all was fine. I could not control the lighting so I just dealt with what I could. Plus now I can always point to the spot on the road in front of the brew pub and tell people, over an Ubu Ale, that is where a random volunteer stripped me of my wetsuit. I stayed in my box all day and just had so much fun. My first IM is in the books and I cannot wait for number two. My epic race report is at 3,000 words or so at this point and I am just at the wet suit stripping. I hope to have it up soon. I am glad that everyone finished no matter what their day consisted of. Everyone is a star as far as I am concerned. I am just as much in awe of all of you as I was on the day I first joined EN.

--Larry
  • Options
    @David, That's what I figured the problem was. They are supposed to bump old workouts automatically as they need but I've proactively deleted old workouts in the past just to be safe. I had planned on doing that last week and forgot. Didn't put it on my checklist! Unfortunately that cost me my run data which is what I really wanted to evaluate. I did get the swim off the 910 & the bike I got from the 500.

@Edwin, I was dealing with some stomach cramping during the middle of the run. Needed to walk several miles to get everything back to normal & then the run came back together & I was able to run the last 7 in to the finish. That felt good.

@Antoinette, I saw you at the aid station on the climb back into LP on the first loop & was worried. You certainly dispelled any fears when you went by me. image You looked great on the run too. Nice job out there. I saw the post on FB, take care of that eye and heal up quick.

• Options
    Anyone going to a GF plan after post race transition?