Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Swim Advice

Several people asked for my thoughts on the swim, especially the start. Rich seems to think I have some secret knowledge, but, really, my experience is the same as Rian stated:

"Last year I found a nice open spot about half way between the wall and the buoy line and 10-20yds back from the front. If you look up you are just in front of the mill ave bridge. Its weird but its a big hole that no-one wanted to be in, and gave me lots of room at the start. I swam 1:15, and had plenty of room to move forward more if I wanted too."

That's what I also found in my races there 08, 09, 10 (as a spectator) and 11. The "lake" has a slight S bend to the right from the Mill St bridge to the Rural Ave/Scottsdale Blvd bridge. If you follow the LEFT buoy line, you'll gradually find the crowds getting thicker as those from the right head towards you. If you start all the way to the right, a strategy many use to take advantage of sighting off the wall, you'll run into a pier about 300 meters out, and also find a lot of congestion, as many folks think being all the way on the right gets them out of the melee, thus creating their own special melee. For some reason (this is true at many IM swim starts), people stay away from the middle. Usually there's some breathing room about 1/3rd of the way out from the buoy line. But in AZ, due to the curve of the course, that sweet spot seems to be more like 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way to the right of the buoy line.

In the past, on the return trip, I have tried to swim straight back from one bridge to the next, thinking that will cut the tangent. but no one goes there, so there's no draft. I'm going to simply follow feet on the way back, and assume that following the buoy line will be my best bet on the way back.

Finally if you have not attempted to exit the water at this venue before, you really should do the swim Sat morning, so you can understand the difficulty of getting out on the special "ladder" they have in the water - a series of wide steps, quite steep. They should have volunteers to help haul you out. If possible, let them do that. But if it's too busy, you might find it a struggle. Giving it a try before the actual race is strongly suggested, so it doesn't freak you out on race day. Seriously, this is unlike any other triathlon swim exit I have ever done, certainly the hardest exit.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for all the input Al! Most appreciated!

I had to be "hauled" out sort of at Vegas this year...it is weird! I'm hoping to be swimming a 1:10-1:15 and it will be busy.
    I hope I get some volunteers to help! image
  • Options
    When I swam it in '12 I was neither a strong or confident swimmer so seeded myself way in the back. I parked myself back under the bridge and their seemed to be something like 3 thicker "lines" vs one big mass up front....something about being under bridge vs out in front of it seemed to separate people. I swam a steady 1:20which was good for me at the time. Very "busy" but not panic inducing start. Had to swim around a lot of people as 1:20 is right dead center average time. A separate swim mass seems to form after 1/2 a mile in with the 1:05-1:10ish swimmers and then another for the <1hr folks. I concur with all the other details above. I didn't think water was booty/cap needing cold but it can be surprisingly chilly. I did the pre-swim -ladder practice and am glad I did, your equilibrium will be out of whack and trying to step up hanging on the rail caused several tumbles. Grab and reach up and let the volunteer yank you out- your job is to not fall LOL. For someone still fighting open water fears it turned out to be my favorite part of the race.
  • Options
    In 2013, last year, I took Al's advice and positioned myself midway between buoys and wall under the east Mill bridge. As Al said, I was in a hole completely alone and had a smooth relaxed start. As a 1:40 swimmer last year I seemed to fall right in with my group and didn't get kicked like I did 2012.
  • Options

Yes! Last year I repositioned in this same location but closer to the front. I had a great relaxed start but because I was close to the fasties, was able to pull major drafting all the way to the turn-around. I PR'd the swim by 7 minutes.