Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Week 1 of 12 The IMAZ Journey

2»

Comments

• Options
    I have been taking it easy since immt, stepped it up this week with a few runs and one bike. Got a cortisone shot in left shoulder which has been hurting since a ski injury in march and got much worse in tremblant. We'll have to see how this goes. Still hurts 5 days after shot.

Doing a local century this weekend and some mtb, going to try and hit the training plan again this week, perhaps easing on intensity to further the immt recovery
  • Options

X2 what Al said about building your far on top of your fast during the race prep phase of an IM build............learning how to take what you have at that point an execute with that fitness level over a long period of time should be the primary focus.

How are those long bikes going this weekend?

For me, a Pre Ride run: http://www.strava.com/activities/187277606  ......stiff - 6th day in a row of running.....

Long ride with interval work followed: http://www.strava.com/activities/187418834    .........need a nap now.......

@ Betsy - you should be good to go now with the Strava club link for our group.

EN IMAZ Strava club: http://www.strava.com/clubs/2014IMAZ   It is growing!

Good luck today all!!

• Options
    X3 on what Al said-and very well said!

@Joe-hardly the old man! I'm two age brackets above you!

@Scott-take care of the shoulder!

I think I have this Strava thing going-after a 0mi 121 h recording. Wish I could figure out how to delete that 'butt dial' and copy/paste the links??

This am ride @ https://www.strava.com/activities/187424953
    3k feet of climbing but I tried not to overdue the wattage, stayed back with the B group. I'm thinking of riding the beeline by myself tomorrow and lock myself in aero.

I rode 3:10 then Came home and did the sweat test-drank 20oz water, no extra food and weight didn't change a bit. Fits with my usual bottle an hour give or take

Somehow didn't get the run in but had a swim lesson this afternoon- and got the push for first time to crank down the tempo trainer on intervals. I was maintaining form for 50s with a full .1s decrease??

• Options
    @ Joe, I'm in the 45-49 age group, as well

@ Betsy, can you post the link to Als post on swimming Tempe town lake?

@ Daniel happy late bday. Hope you had some fun

Rode for 30 min today at z3- feeling great. Spent time rolling calf/Achilles due to heel pain
  • Options

ABPish ride this morning: http://www.strava.com/activities/187880933

Week 1 done......warming up the engines......

Maybe I'll hear some of you pulled some Z4 nap times today........wouldn't be a bad idea.

SS

• Options
    48 mi ride from my house to Beeline, loop in reverse starting at Shea then home. I am happy to report that their was very little debris and I didn't flat-I heard sasturday their were 6 fltats out there! I kept it overall a z2/IF .7 day, stayed aero most of the time, 100% on the Beeline. Unhappy to report that my strava didn't record (I guess you can't use it and listen to a webinar on iPhone at the same time).

Preceded the bike with yesterday's run-got the z5 mile in at 10s under!!

No nap but off to bed now

Week 1/12 in the books
  • Options

Good work everyone.   Keep building.

I rode 50 miles Saturday, Z1 the whole way except 1 x 15 miles @ Z3.  then swam for 45 minutes EZ.

Yesterday, I rode again but made it an ABP ride.  It was hot 78-85F, sunny, windy and 60% RH (good Kona weather). It was the first time since IMMT I felt I had some pop back in my legs.  Since my Quarq is getting fixed, I rode without power the last 2 days.  I rode 45 miles by HR. After an ez 5 miles, I rode 35 miles all with HR in the 142-152 which is low Z3 to low Z4.  I rode above 21 mph for those 35 miles.  Then 5 mile ez CD.  Averaged 20.6 mph and HR of 139 for the ride.  After that I ran 5 miles, and almost had a melt down.  Had to stop and rest after both mile 3 & 4 to let my HR come down.  It was at least 15 bpm higher than what it normally is for my Z1pace (8:48 for me). I was drenched in sweat and just finished the run.  I guess I'm still not completely recovered yet from IMMT.  Resting completely today.

• Options
    Bruce-It is so impressive that you can do anything this soon after an IM! Rest today! I would treat Kona as a celebration of your achievements and just enjoy the day and plan to finish.
  • Options
    Bruce-It is so impressive that you can do anything this soon after an IM! Rest today! I would treat Kona as a celebration of your achievements and just enjoy the day and plan to finish.
  • Options

Posted By Bruce Thompson on 01 Sep 2014 09:48 AM

...Averaged 20.6 mph and HR of 139 for the ride.  After that I ran 5 miles, and almost had a melt down.  Had to stop and rest after both mile 3 & 4 to let my HR come down.  It was at least 15 bpm higher than what it normally is for my Z1pace (8:48 for me). I was drenched in sweat and just finished the run.  I guess I'm still not completely recovered yet from IMMT.  Resting completely today.

Good call, Bruce.

This past week included a travel day (Friday), & a bunch of rainy cloudy days, both in the mtns of CO, and back home in WA. The rain on Saturday perfectly coincided with my planned Oly race, so I pulled the plug on that one. My week consisted of about 750 TSS: 165 mi of cycling, only two swims (6000 yds), 20 miles of running, and 3 weight sessions.

This coming week is my last transition week into the IM build. I'll end with another (hopefully not aborted) Oly race on Sunday, then head back to CO early next week.

• Options
    Local sprint yesterday. Wanted to podium but came in 4th. The posted results showed me in 3rd until all racers were in then I was in 4th. How does that happen? We figured that some one was listed in the wrong group and this was then corrected. Less then a minute between 3rd place finisher and myself. I need to get more comfortable hurting to make sure I leave it all out there. Local pool was closed so we went for a 6 mile trail run. . School starts Wed. for my daughters senior year. We need to work on those college apps, which are due Nov. 1 We need 2 letters of reference and she has to write an essay. All I needed to do was fill out and application and write a check....Hope everyone had a great labor day
  • Options

@Mary I just tried my first sprint X2 over last month (seems to fit the "get faster" plan image  ) Wow such a difference! After I "accidentally came in 2nd AG I found myself actually "Racing" the second one. Just that difference is both stressful and exiting. It sets up a whole different mindset about pacing and using your strengths and defending weaknesses. I definitely believe it has helped with transitions (I still need practice-lost 3 places due to a botched T2 -started running out with bike and no bike shoes on LOL!) and with swim (I'm actually "relatively" better than I thought and positioned myself off the side front on second race - I also practiced more sighting and the flip over on back to turn at buoy -works great BTW.)

It was fun to hunt down opponents on bike and run he he.... I was good at holding watts but played tag with a younger Male and the 2nd place Female...trading places going up and down hills.....but then with a slight down (my advantage being heavier) and only 2 miles to go (knowing I was a slow transition guy) I put a decisive surge on passing both and keeping the power up for 1 full 400w minute then back to my SS 320w  The Gal was out of transition before me but I caught her in the first mile....the guy passed me at 2 miles but gave me props on the bike as he went by.....Fun stuff! (another 2nd place AG BTW) Some day I may be fast enough to "race an HIM/IM" but till then these short course events are a new fun challenge.    Enjoy and take back the skills to your long events-god luck on getting that podium spot!

• Options
    OK.....so there I was....
    A last minute thought to dovetail some of the new TT power I seem to have developed and carry the IM fitness into a HIM race in 2 weeks...yea I know no HIM training but hey I "should be reedy right?"
    SO the plan was a simi RR. Go out EZ through all the turns and lights on post then do 56 miles steady then 2 miles CD.
    Looking at the last few rides suggests a FTP of 300 to 319 so .8 gives a range of about 240-270 for a <5 hr HIM ride. <br /> No aero race getup and opted no cooling sleeves etc. 3 bottles mixed sports drink (Id use race supplied anyway)..... got outside and OMG. 93% humidity and 88degrees I was dripping before I go to parking lot. Grabbed a small Gatorade and stuffed it in back pocket as insurance. Oh and that breeze feels stronger than the 6-8mph the weather report shows.
    Miserable.
    20.6mph at ave 226w 56mls 2:42 [ride actual 66mls (Goal was 240-270 remember) brutal. Never seen power fall off like this. after every light stop Id start out at goal watts then over about 10-15 min power would progressively fall to 200. During ride I felt like I was in peanut butter RPE was as if I was doing Z4+ TT (360 w).
    So much for a RR
    I have no ida what to do with these numbers or chuck the whole race idea as a lack of preparedness issue. ( I have been having some pre-ride GI issues but didn't think I as dehydrated. Oh and I did race the sprint hard on SAT but did nothing SUN ?recovery? And the race in question is the Rev3 Poconos BTW

http://app.strava.com/activities/188576355/overview Strava is missing 4 miles out of mid ride. (sucks cuz it was a good wind protected 24mph section LOL)