Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Wheel Setup Recs for IMAZ

I'd like to hear from some of the triathlon ninjas who've done IMAZ on recommended wheel setup.  

I current have Flo 30s on my 2013 Cervelo P2.  They're pretty good training and race wheels, especially when climbing is involved.  Since IMAZ is pretty flat, I am considering buying a Flo 60 for the front and a wheel cover from Wheelbuilder for the back.

I've heard IMAZ can be windy.  Will this setup be hard to handle?  

What are other folks planning to race with?

Comments

• Options
    60/Disc would be recommended setup if you got it.
  • Options
    I rode 808/disc at IMAZ @ 150lbs, with the normal wind, and had no issues. Extremely fast bike course.
  • Options
    I rode flo 60/disc at IMCDA which had 20+ knot winds and I survived. Definitely go with the 60/disc.
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback!  You guys gave me just the encouragement I needed to get some wheels on the upcoming Flo order this week!

• Options

Reports of wind on the IM AZ course are greatly exaggerated. Since moving to Nov in 2008, winds are pretty nominal, 5-10 mph usually. They do tend to shift around during the course of the rode. But I've raced it 4 times with my wheel cover, and never noticed an issue. Biggest issue with the bike is to STAY IN YOUR AERO tuck for 5-6 hours. 3rd loop, you see lots of folks sitting up, so OF COURSE they think there's more wind 

• Options
    This will be my third AZIM. My two prior I've had nothing special on my little Tri bike. I was going to ask eventually so now seems like a good time. Al you can weigh in here probably: at 110# should I be brave and try my disc cover on my power tap? I've always been told to fear the wind. I'm good at staying aero on loop 3. I was out Saturday on the beeline and winds were mild-5mph
  • Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 02 Sep 2014 12:03 AM

Reports of wind on the IM AZ course are greatly exaggerated. Since moving to Nov in 2008, winds are pretty nominal, 5-10 mph usually. They do tend to shift around during the course of the rode. But I've raced it 4 times with my wheel cover, and never noticed an issue. Biggest issue with the bike is to STAY IN YOUR AERO tuck for 5-6 hours. 3rd loop, you see lots of folks sitting up, so OF COURSE they think there's more wind 

I didn't find the winds to be bad but as Al mentioned the winds shift around which is not something we see here in SE Texas.  First loop had a little bit of a headwind going out and a tailwind coming back.  Second loop was more crosswinds.  Third loop was opposite of the first.

• Options

I'll show up with an 808 on the front and a cover on my PowerTap with the option to take the cover off if winds are forecasted > 20 mph.....

I have found I can manage that setup in winds up to about 20 mph.....

• Options

Posted By Betsy Kantor on 02 Sep 2014 12:21 AM

This will be my third AZIM. My two prior I've had nothing special on my little Tri bike. I was going to ask eventually so now seems like a good time. Al you can weigh in here probably: at 110# should I be brave and try my disc cover on my power tap? I've always been told to fear the wind. I'm good at staying aero on loop 3. I was out Saturday on the beeline and winds were mild-5mph

If you've already got the disc cover, and the course is always available to you, just give it a try one day and see what you think. You'll probably go faster.

• Options
    Thanks Al-seems like an obvious answer-just needed to be told. I will muster up the courage this weekend and report back
  • Options
    Picked up a set of Flo 60/90s in the order today. Looking forward to taking them out for a spin.