Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

Week 18...3 to go

Happy Labor Day!

Today is a rest day as I had another big weekend. My CTL on WKO+ is at a record high and I need to get it back in line to get where I want to be by race day. Since I have already done my RR #2, this is the official start of my taper, although I will keep the volume up a bit for another week.

Don't forget to update the official sign in sheet with your race numbers. This is how Brenda builds the EN tracker.

Start thinking about your Personal Bios, I believe they are due to Brenda by Sept 12. You don't want to be the only one that missed it!

There won't be any 4 keys talk from the coaches at this race, so make sure review (i.e.- memorize) the on line 4 keys in the Race Execution tab of the Wiki)

Have fun this week!

Comments

• Options
    Swim day for me. Lots of 100s and actually did the whole workout, including optional 400-4000m total. What a great way to spend Labor Day. I sent my Bio in a couple of weeks ago and hope everyone has a chance to do it.

Maybe we can have a movie night on Thursday after the dinner and watch the 4 Keys DVD? Or, maybe not.

Also hope everyone is getting lots of rest. One of the cool things from the 2013 IMLP Camp was Restwise. We got a free (approx 30 day) trial. The take home point for me was that rest (8 hrs sleep and monitor resting HR) is more important than the workout. It was a difficult concept for me to grasp, especially with a busy family, work schedule, and that self imposed desire to get the training session. But I feel like the extra focus on sleep significantly helped me PR there. Even now when sometimes I wake-up early, without an alarm clock, but don't feel fully rested I'll force myself to go back to sleep. Then when I awake it feels as though the batteries have gotten an extra charge. Not to sound like a commercial but Restwise helped me overcome the guilt of either cutting the training session short or skipping it all together in order to get the appropriate sleep.
  • Options
    Retested the bike this morning. The second half felt like I was going to have a bump in FTP but the result was no change since IMMT. I'm still looking forward to a flat course though. Planning on doing my Race Rehearsal this Sunday. Saturday is filled with family stuff.
  • Options
    I did my RR last weekend, so this weekend I thought I would hook up with the LBS roadie ride on Saturday.

No test for me, instead I averaged my NP from the last five 100 milers and used that in my RR. Works out to be .73 IF. Worked good.

Last "long" run this morning, although 13 miles doesn't seem very long.

• Options

Hey guys...is there any of the typical EN Course Detail/Overview or Webinar for Maryland, even though the first year for it? I know in the past the coaches have gotten these done for new races, like IM Lake Tahoe, but I can't find anything. Am I missing a resource for Maryland execution?

If not, has anyone found resource to get us part way there w/o EN resources?

Or is it simply flat, flat, flat. image Surely there is guidance beyond flat, with typical wind there, other factors? We are in lowly KS...a bit diff than the East coast. image

Thanks,

Greg

• Options

No guidance on this one and no four keys. But the bike and run courses are FLAT, so there is really is nothing to figure out. Just find your intensity and sit on it for 5-6 hours and stretch when you need to. There will be some wind so you might want to look at Rich's coach chat on Racing In The Wind.

• Options
    @Greg, the only other factor other than wind might be the heat and humidity. I did Eagleman in 2012. The heat in June was a wicked. It was everything goes to keep the core cool. I'm hoping in Sep less so but lately it's been in the 90s. And the swim could easily be non wetsuit.
  • Options
    Right now I'm waiting for a storm to pass so I'm taking a few minutes to write my race rehearsal plan. This is 4 weeks after IMMT and will be my only RR dedicated for this IMMD, so I figure that IMMT and the RRs before that count for IMMD. The terrain around my house is exactly like IMMD, flat as a pancake, usually hot, and usually windiy. I did a 1.2 mile swim last night and did not have enough time to complete the full 2.4 miles due to family commitments and lack of sunlight. I had 5 hours sleep the night before so 1.2 miles seemed good enough.

PreRide nutrition is a PowerBar 5xMaster Amino Pattern, and 1 bottle Perform. No 3:30 breakfast today - 8 hours sleep took priority and it felt good. 60 minutes with no thunder and then I'lll start the bike which will be a 28.37 mile loop using my house as the SAG. Full race kit - aero helmet and race wheels.

I'lll carry 1 bottles of Perform (1/hour), 1 bottle water to cool down, 4 Power Bars (1/hr), 3 PB Gel no caffeine (1/hr for the first 3 hours) and 2 PB with caffeine Gels (1/hr the last 2 hours), 1 Salt Stick/hr. That should total 1,075 mg sodium/hr and 405 cal/hr. My sweat test called for 1.5 bottles of Perform/hr so I'll sip a little extra. But I usually feel to sloshy and pee too much with Perform so I may add another Salt stick/hr. I also don't plan to add caffeine until 3 hours into the bike.

First hour of bike is JRA, then Goal IF is .69 and keeping my TSS to 286. I should get the 112 miles in 6 hours.

Then 6 mile run or 1 hour which ever comes first Z1 + 30. Then done and dinner with the family.

Well I see some sunlight, its time to getter done.
  • Options
    Looking forward to the after report.
  • Options
    RR done and in the books. The weather turned out to be near perfect, 75 deg, 10 mph NW wind, humidity 89%. Sure would be nice if IMMD turns out that nice. The ride was another learning opportunity for me. I was on track to finish the 4 lap lollipop course in 5:50 but I backed off the intensity considerably at 4 hours because Garmin was showing my joules were quickly creeping up to 250 and I thought that was my TSS which I was trying to keep at 285. I started putzing around with the Joule GPS setting to show TSS but mistakingly thought joules were the same and the strange think is I know better. I could have easily kept going harder to the finish but my ride profile shows I dropped power the last 1:30 or so. In reality my TSS was 267 a bit below my 286 target, IF: .67, NP: 150, and VI 1.04.

My nutrition went as planned until 3 hours or so into the ride when I felt a bit nauseous and I had a feeling the Salt Sticks were the source. I took a tums and felt better almost immediately. So, for race day I'll get all my sodium from Power Bars, Gels, and Perform and see how that goes. As usual after a Gel I make sure I drink 8 oz fluid so I am hoping the Gels were not the culprit.

3 minute transition mostly to change socks.

The run felt good and solid. No foot pain with average pace of 9:12.

Afterward I felt more nausea at dinner so I drank some ginger ale that helped a lot.