Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

IMC 2015 - where to stay?

I'm planning to do IM Canada 2015.  My wife will go with me.  Planning to use TBT for bike transport.

Advice for where to stay?  Or areas/places to avoid?  Fly to Vancouver?...rent a car/SUV (that can accommodate bike....or skip biking any of the course)?

Thanks in advance.

JL

Comments

• Options

See this thread I started earlier this year: http://members.endurancenation.us/F...fault.aspx

• Options
    To more specifically address the rental car issue. You pretty much don't need a rental car once you're in Whistler (assuming you're staying in the Village) as everything is within walking distance. That stated, you need to get from Vancouver to Whistler and back. There is a shuttle that runs from the airport to Whistler and back. It would be much cheaper than a rental car (rental fee plus $30/night parking at any of the hotels).

The dilemma is what to do about a practice ride on the course. If you really want to pre-ride part of the course it should be the last 20 miles (Pemberton to Whistler). It's a very challenging 20 miles and made way more challenging on race day given that it's the last 20 miles of the ride. I wouldn't suggest doing the 40 miles (Whistler-Pemberton-Whistler) as that could easily turn into a 2.5 hours of hilly riding, which would be stupid a couple of days before the race. Driving to Pemberton and then riding back is a better option. I did that in 2013 and was glad I got to experience that section before race day. Need a car to do that.
  • Options

My wife and I found a 1 bedroom apt on Sarajevo Dr on VRBO.  About a 5 min drive from the village, right on Sea to sky highway. Was perfect , and never had an issue finding parking at the village, not even on race day morning.  There was a little grocery store across the street ( 2 min walk) . I do not remember other grocery stores in Whistler. We flew to Vancouver and rented a car at the airport. 

We didnt bike on the course before, but we drove a lot of the bike course. From Whistler to the Callaghan Valley and then to Pemberton. We didnt do the out and back in Pemberton, it is flat as can be. 

• Options

Jan and Bob....thanks for the feedback.  Very helpful.

Anyone else have recs on places to stay or not stay?  I think I will rent a car, as I want to ride some of the course and drive all of it.  

• Options

I really think it's best and most fun to stay in the main village area. I stayed at the Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre this year. I really liked the place. Nice hotel, great location in the Village. Two blocks from T2 and finish. Stayed at the Hilton in 2013. Nice as well. Pretty much every hotel room in Whistler has a full kitchen.

The Upper Village where the Fairmont is located is kind of dead when compared to Whistler Village. Most of the restaurants, T2, finish, expo and all that are in Whistler Village. Upper Village is within a few minutes walking distance though. Creekside is too far away and would require driving into the Village.

There's also numerous condos or houses for rent nearby but that, while potentially cheaper, will put you out of walking distance.