Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Bike Racing

So I started reading "Bike Racing 101" and the training methodology is blowing my mind. I mean, I have heard about the long and slow base/aerobic training that non-ENrs do so I'm wondering..... Is that just how it is with "real" bike training? Or do other resources promote a more EN style of training? Anyone have any experience, thoughts, recommendations or other resources on the topic?

FYI I'm doing a road race in April and plan on primarily relying on my OS training but also looking for other info aside from training plans. I'm thinking of doing mainly bike races and short course tris in 2016

Comments

• Options

Posted By Kim DuBord on 09 Jan 2015 07:12 PM

So I started reading "Bike Racing 101" and the training methodology is blowing my mind. I mean, I have heard about the long and slow base/aerobic training that non-ENrs do so I'm wondering..... Is that just how it is with "real" bike training? Or do other resources promote a more EN style of training? Anyone have any experience, thoughts, recommendations or other resources on the topic?

FYI I'm doing a road race in April and plan on primarily relying on my OS training but also looking for other info aside from training plans. I'm thinking of doing mainly bike races and short course tris in 2016

If I were to focus on bike racing, I'd:

• Use the BF plan as a template training week, but move one of the weekday rides to Sunday, in place of that run I have there.
    • Add some volume to that (now) Saturday and Sunday ride. Max of about 3hrs Sat, 1-2hrs Sun.

That's it. I did this in 2010, basically this but with bouts of ludicrous climbing on the weekends and got crazy strong. 4x/wk of solid EN-style riding is all you'll need...and frankly all you can absorb. 

• Options
    Kim, if ALL YOU DO is ride a bike, then you gotta mix things up to make it sustainable across a year. They still do plenty of hard work and there is room for hard work there (per Rich); even in our plans we have volume..it's just that volume for us is Race Specific (HIM, IM) whereas for cyclists, the short intense work for winning hills, breaks, creating gaps, is more race specific, so their off season _usually_ looks different!
  • Options
    Kim,

Have you found your way into any aggressive group rides, yet?

Keep reading/researching/digging for the How To's but easing into a group ride that has a reputation of experienced riders will teach you more than anything else. After a few times of trying to hold the wheel in front of you on a climb, let's say you're 4th or 5th or 8th back and don't want to be the one to split the group, and you get to a point where you're chanting in your head "Odds are I won't die here, Odds are I won't die here,....'' cuz your heart feels like it's found it's last beat of effort and there's still 300meters to the top of the hill, cuz you know if you make it to the top of the hill you can catch your breath, but you know that once the group crests the hill they will then pick up the pace over and down the other side.....

Yep....it rocks!

My point is.....and this is just my opinion...our plans here will have you working very hard. Get into some group rides for fun. Just hang. Do whatever work it takes to hang on. If you get dropped, come back next week and do it again.

If you're mish mashing the two sports, do it for fun, to be a bad a$$, just know your limits b/c, like the coaches said, tri training isn't the best way to train for pure cycling events and takes away time that could be used to train specifically for pure cycling events. And, vice versa.

Little extra tip: if you're doing the road race solo, you need to be very good at mooching a wheel, hopping from one paceline to another, finding the paceline that is a good RPE for you. This will require your ability to REALLY step on the gas for 30sec to 1min (bigger watts than VO2sets). As I'm sure you know, this is very different from signing up for a century.

Cool stuff, good luck, keep us updated!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input folks! I frequently do group rides although I'm not sure I'd call them aggressive, but def challenging for me! As I keep pushing to the next cycling level, I hope to be hanging on more easily. Climbing is def my weakness I can cruise along on the flats and then comes along one minor climb and bye bye group....

For 2016, I would be using a bike plan, but with some running still just for maintenance. I don't like running so I def don't want to completely lose what I've worked so hard to gain the past few years.

For my race this year, I'll be just exiting the OS and will consult with the coaches re: how to hack my plan a little closer to race day. I'll skip swim camp in favor of "Kim's Bike Camp". image