Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Wetsuit Recommendation

EN,

I need a new wetsuit.  One I bought off Craigslist when I was getting back into tris is falling apart.  Don't want to spend the money on the top of the line wetsuit either.  Looking at those $99 sleaveless specials by Xterra.  Anyone have an Xterra and like it?  I'm 6'2" and 205 so looking for input/recommendations from the Clydes as well.  Thanks.

Clint

Comments

• Options
    The best wet suit deal I got was in the fall. All of the dealers try to unload their inventory at the end of the season and you get get suits for up to 75% off MSRP. depending on how many races your doing this season, maybe you want to rent then get a SWEET deal in the fall.
  • Options
    You may want to be careful in choosing a sleeveless vs a sleeved wetsuit. I know that in my part of the country owning only a sleeveless would really limit the open water swimming opportunities due to water temps.

I have also read that sleeved suits tend to be faster than sleeveless models, although speed is really a relative term when it comes to my swimming abilities (or lack thereof).

P.S. Promotion Wetsuits ( http://wetsuit.com/ ) located in OR produces a line of economical models that many friends of mine like very much.
  • Options
    ahhh the Xterra dilemma...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my xterra vector pro. I'm on my 2nd one, after many many self-repairs of seam tears in the 4 seasons that I had my first one. The multiple seam tear issues didn't prevent me from buying a identical suit as a replacement. however, of the 4 other friends that also have the xterra vector pro, ALL of them had replaced their suits (mostly under warranty) multiple times in 3 years.

Now, the vector pro is sold as a high-performance (NOT high-durability) suit, so there's no real false advertising going on. And it is BY FAR the most comfortable and flexible suit I've ever worn (compared to QR Ultra, Orca P-Flex, Blue Seventy Helix).

I'm guessing the suit you're referring to is the Vortex? Definitely more durable and less flexible than the vector pro. unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with it, so probably not much help. But xterra has a decent warranty policy, so for $99, hard to pass up.

I do agree with Al, however, that depending on your geographical location a sleeveless wetsuit might not be the best choice.
  • Options

Xterra is running a 50% off special and free shipping on the Vortex 3 Line till 3/15 http://app.streamsend.com/private/J...se/9395561

I have the Xterra Vector Pro Sleeveless that I like.  I tend to run hot in my full suit and the sleeveless helps a lot.  I use it for all but the coldest races.  This suit is much more delicate than my profile design full suit.  If I’m not careful the rubber tears real easy.  On the positive side i can feel that this suit offers much more buoyancy in the right places than my full suit and as a fellow clyde this is helpful!

• Options
    I've had the Xterra Vector Pro for two seasons and like others, mine is now has quite a few tears...mostly fingernail cuts from pulling it up. It's a full suit, but I also have a QR shorty I use when the temperature runs 74-78 else I'll get to warm. I'm probably going to step up to the Xterra vendetta this year. It's supposed to be more buoyant, more flexible, and more prone to tear. I'll probably save it for just my A races this year...no more than 3 races and a check out swim or two.