Home General Training Discussions
Options

Stages cycling power meter

Anyone familiar with Stages cycling power meters?  You replace your non-drive train crank with basically the same crank that has their power meter installed.  No tools needed to change the battery and seems like an easier option then a wheel build etc.  The made in Boulder and recommended to me by some friends her in Colorado.  I'd love to get some feedback if any of you are using this option!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Paula!

I have a Stages PM and love it! Seems pretty accurate for me based on tests with other PMs you just have to be careful because it's single-sided. So if your pedal strokes are uneven left to right you'll get a somewhat inaccurate reading.

DC rainmaker has a great write-up about it here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/stages-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
  • Options
    I got one and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to install and start using. Have the same type of crank on road and tri bike so can move the power meter from one to the other in just a few minutes.
  • Options
    Paula,

I bought a Stages PM in December 2014 and use it with the new Garmin 920XT. Because I wanted to splurge on the new Garmin, I need to save money when purchasing a PM. I'm happy with it! Good luck !!
  • Options
    Works well - give it a wiggle, it's alive.
    Easy to calibrate - just turn the crank so it's hanging vertically down.
    Easy to change battery - twice since May.
    Communicates well with iPhone over bluetooth & Edge 800 over ANT+; not so well (occasional 5 sec dropouts) with 910XT, seems to be affected by bottle placements...
    Gives you cadence too.
    Solid, reliable.
  • Options
    Used one for about a year. I had an endless amount of issues with mine. My first one had to be replaced (worked about 50% of the time) and the second one wouldn't hold the battery charge worth a crap. Sold it and went back to Quarq.

It was great when it worked but the inconsistency with the battery life and intermittent signal loss meant it had to go.

YMMV.

• Options

Thanks guys!  All of you feedback greatly appreciated!  I am definitely interested, but don't want to upgrade to Garmin 920... I will have to find out if they have worked through those issues. 

• Options

I also have a stages, question is, what measurement are people using in the data field.....3 s average, 10 s average, etc.???

thanks guys,

joe Crispino

• Options
    I always use 3s avg power regardless of which power meter.

My five fields on my front page are : 3s avg power, speed, cadence, distance, elapsed time. Second page has other power metrics like IF, TSS, NP, etc.
  • Options
    I use 3's and 30's on my 910xt display
  • Options

I'm too old to see 5 fields in my 910