Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Week 12

Booyah ~ it's test week people!!

The descends on the swim today were killer, but I was stoked to see about a 1:28 on the last of each set of 100s...who knew.  Lost some descend mojo on the 50s, but still held onto about 45 seconds per.  My arms felt a little loopy and people were staring at me as I tried to suck as much O2 in as possible between sets.  Stupid pool has decided it doesn't want to open in the mornings any more so will have to shift to lunch or head to the other one on post - imagine it's a free for all at that time in the morning though.

Bike test tomorrow ~ will see if I can get it done in the AM before work.  Rain is moving in so need to get it out of the way.  Hoping for an FTP bump so I can have some permissions to work a bit harder on long rides and RR to see if I can hold and still run.

Does anyone else's swim test look a bit wonky on the training plan?  Mine says the test is 3500, but I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be just a 1000 so that is what I'm going to do, followed by some long sets to get to the 3500 number.

Have a great week, and tell us all about those gains you've made to show that work works...

Mark

Comments

• Options
    1:28 is awesome. I got down to 1:36, but was kicking harder than tri effort I believe, a no-no. Nice job. I am taking a pass on the bike test - have to since the TT is packed for St George. But I am going to sweat out an hour on the trainer. One more day, off to Utah, and then dial it in for CDA. DS
  • Options

Good luck at St. George; think I might have to put that one on my to do list in a few years.  Love Utah.

I thought 1:28 was awesome too:o)  But it hurt bad enough that I'm not sure how these other bubbas just cruise along at that speed ~ I'm damn near hypoxic...power and technique; hopefully making some improvements there.

Bike test this morning was not especially great; don't have the numbers in front of me, but VO2 Max bump of about 30, and FTP bump of 0.  I usually don't ride early in the morning, but wanted to beat the rain; may of been a nutrition issue, but blew up last 7 minutes of FTP test and ended with NP of 241, just like last test.  Would like to think I could of held on to 250ish, but until I can prove it, gonna have to see what the long rides hold.

Still debating the run test ~ as a life long runner, I like to think I have a pretty good idea of where my run fitness is ~ translating it to long course IM has been a learning process though.

Back to work...

Mark

• Options
    Doug,

How did St. George go? Sounds like it was a pretty tough course that'll work out as a good lead in to CDA. I did HITS Napa Valley a couple years ago before CDA, and it worked really well to tell me how much work I still had to do before my first full:o)

Solid week on the bike for me. Did every workout plus an extra run, though my bike test was not superbly executed, and managed to reach 8.5 hours and 147 miles. I have some family stuff coming up during the two weekends following the next, so will be looking for some opportunities here and there to get some extra work on the bike in...still not sure how I'm going to be doing camp week ~ will hit up the coaches to see if my planned timing will work.

Seems my pool is no longer going to be open in the AM, so will also have to switch around some workouts there...luckily, I get 1.5 hours for lunch, and the pool is a few blocks away, so I should still be able to get most of the work in.

Hope the week was solid for the everyone, and week 13 is upon it...game day is exactly 8 weeks from today!!

Mark
  • Options
    Survived BRP camp. Ouch! One of those things that makes you realize you can do more than you thought. Resting up, then I 've got to get to work on the run and swim!
  • Options

Lookin' good team!  

All is well in my world except for WHERE did the time go?  Eight weeks - yikes!  Hitting a good groove with training, have added a long brick on Sundays at GRP and that is working out nicely and a great confidence booster.  

#letsdothis!!!

• Options

Posted By Mark Hickman on 03 May 2015 09:04 PM

Doug,

How did St. George go? Sounds like it was a pretty tough course that'll work out as a good lead in to CDA. I did HITS Napa Valley a couple years ago before CDA, and it worked really well to tell me how much work I still had to do before my first full:o)

Solid week on the bike for me. Did every workout plus an extra run, though my bike test was not superbly executed, and managed to reach 8.5 hours and 147 miles. I have some family stuff coming up during the two weekends following the next, so will be looking for some opportunities here and there to get some extra work on the bike in...still not sure how I'm going to be doing camp week ~ will hit up the coaches to see if my planned timing will work.

Seems my pool is no longer going to be open in the AM, so will also have to switch around some workouts there...luckily, I get 1.5 hours for lunch, and the pool is a few blocks away, so I should still be able to get most of the work in.

Hope the week was solid for the everyone, and week 13 is upon it...game day is exactly 8 weeks from today!!

Mark

Mark - Sorry, I didn't see this post. STG is, in a word, difficult. The ride is super hard with a big climb at mile ~40. And though you get a sweet descent for nearly 10 miles after that, the first 3.5 miles of run is up hill, then you get a flat, then you get more and more hill work. Rich nicely pointed out my numerous errors... with my gearing I was a dead man walking. Utah is great, I had not been to Zion, took the family and we had a really great time. Many many finishers hiking into the narrows the day after, great camaraderie. I suppose I might be back, but only after building up some confidence.