Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP 10/10 - The Road to Success

Happy Monday all - ...YAWN............

Trying to recover a bit this morning from the weekend volume and hoping to swim before the day is over.

DFW area saw 48 hours of winds, thunderstorms, flash flooding and tornados with one dead giving way to sunshine this morning.

Spent the weekend work on the trainer/treadmill....

Have a great week all!

SS

Comments

• Options
    Looking for consistency this week. Inconsistent/missed wko’s, due to injuries, has thrown a monkey wrench into motivation for the past 4 weeks. I will test out the foot on an easy run today and see how things fare.

9 weeks out to my HIM and the S/B/R are all not where I want them to be. Not stressing, yet, as I believe there is still time to pull them together.
  • Options
    I had a good week, culminating with a ride in the mountains on Sat (4000ft of gain) and did my sweat test on Sunday.
    I am doing the optional 1 hour runs on Sundays with a shortened (90') bike.
    For the last week I've been forcing myself to only walk 30 steps max on the mile splits.
    I was able to hold that for the entire 90 min run on Thursday - a first for me, so that's encouraging.
    My HIM is on Sunday so I will follow the IM plan through Wed and begin a mini-taper on Thursday.
    My goal for the HIM is only to run the entire way except for the aid stations - it would be a big confidence boost if I can pull it off.
  • Options

I had a good run last night and followed it up with a good ride today. For those of us up north, it was a hot day. 77 degrees & 69% humidity along with some wind for good measure. The long run last night ensured I would not be pushing the pace up to ABP. Hope everyone is well and ready for the final push towards Placid.

• Options
    This week is looking good and today started well.

Swam mid-morning like most Mondays but can't seem to fit the Tues swim in. Will plan to continue with Mon & Fri swims and call it good until OWS is possible. Currently water temps are still in the 40's or low 50's......Brrrrr!

As usual, I hacked the swim today and like 99.9% of my pool swimming it is all pull. I did 6x600 and held at or faster than my goal pace until the last set. I like the longer sets because I can increase my endurance at pace and work on different techniques by length - all the while making sure I don't fall off pace.

Several things I have noticed is that as I begin to increase my stroke rate, my pace drops. Most notable is the loss at the end of the stroke. Entry and catch seem fairly uniform but I find I am rushing the end of the stroke and miss a significant amount of push. And as I slow down, I tend to rush the stroke further.

Keep at it!
  • Options
    @Don

I would love to only walk through the aid stations at Knoxville!

Swim was done this morning. Skipped the run in favor of a m-ah-ssage!

Very smart decision.
  • Options
    I had a good 3.5 hr ride Saturday. Sunday I skipped the 2.5 hr ride due to Mother's Day activities but I did get in my first OWS practice of the season in the morning and just in time for Chattanooga 70.3 this weekend. I'm torn between going with a full vs sleeveless wetsuit. I think it comes down to do I suffer/deal with tired shoulders but faster swim or comfort and slower swim. Anyway, I'm following the plan through Tuesday and start my taper on Wednesday per the guidance in the wiki. Hope to be recovered for the Big Tri Day the weekend after.
  • Options

I too missed the Sunday ride.  I'd blame my mother but it was my bad planning.

Got in a swim tonight, no running yet so I might throw in an extra bike this week.

• Options

@ Ed / Derrek - solid rides you guys are putting up!

@ Steve - I am also in the same swim camp as you in that a faster stroke rate will not translate to a faster swim for me.  I still need to improve my body position and form before that's going to be a option for this water sloth......

@ Gordon - hope the foot healing process is moving along well!

Long swim for me yesterday: https://www.strava.com/activities/302606529  Pretty damn tired from the weekend volume but made it happen.  By evening I did get in a 5+ mile hill run as well.

Tuesday mornings are always somewhat of a bad dream for me.  If you've done the weekend work and intensities right, its just going to be that way.   Getting up, wondering which scenario will manifest:

a)    Physically tired and not able to effectively pull the intensity off on the trainer

b)     Mentally tired, and need to just start pedaling and pull the whip out

Today it turned out to be more mental than physical and I was able to actually get the work done: https://www.strava.com/activities/303004717  but it did suck!

Hoping to run a bit before the day is over.  Tomorrow I have Z4 run intervals and swim work

Looks like the ToC guys are tearing it up for Day 3!!!

SS

• Options

Another swim done and I'm starting to feel better in the water.  Not good yet even by my 1:30 IM standards but decent.  Still icing the foot, stretching  and rolling, apparently I did too much.  I'll back off again an reset next week.

@ SS solid work.as always

• Options
    Bike was a no go this morning. On only 4 hrs sleep, I managed to make coffee and went back to sleep.

Completed 40/100 decending swim sets. Followed up with 7' of water running. Interesting is what I call that. Looks like I will start more of it to keep up my run fittness.

X-ray scheduled for tomorrow and dr apt on Thursday. Hoping it's not a stress fracture
  • Options
    3700 m swim done yesterday, no time to get the run in. Still feel slow in the pool even when times are getting better
  • Options
    67' ride completed this morning; 21'@ 1.01. Cut one interval short as the +25-35 W swings on the Kickr fried my legs. Still dialing in this new trainer. One thing for sure, it delivers a brutal wko.
  • Options
    mid-week check-in...

it's been a successful week so far, as I'm 6 for 6 in hitting wkos

swims on Mon, Tue with a 60' spin class this morning

runs on all 3 days: 40' at Z1.5 pace on Monday; 2x1 mile intervals yesterday; 20' on the treadmill this morning

i'm feeling the fitness (and the fatigue) slowly returning...
  • Options

I got in the FTP and 110% work today total of 57' @.89 so I was working. 

I'm still debating the substitute bike workout tomorrow, the exact length and nature of the ride.  I'll probably just do 60-90' ABP 3-5X15' @.8-.85.  With no run tomorrow and only a swim on Friday I don't see how this could hurt.  A long run would take more out of me than this ride. 

• Options
    I feel like a slug today because I bailed on yesterday's bike. In my defense, I did have to travel 2.5 hours to a field office for some software upgrades - not all of which went according to plan...., I did have enough daylight just not the ambition to get out the door. I ended up resigning myself to a unscheduled rest day. That should make today's long run better.

Keep at it!
  • Options

@ T. Cronk - had to get a massage after reading your interval work on the track yesterday!  Btw - I cannot make the dates you are running your camp on and have to back out of the room.  I tried but can't make it work and so will go to camp with the others beginning on 6/11....

@SW - I can't find any slug there......only a very hard worker on all fronts!  You and I both know one day means nothing and the rest probably sets you up better anyway.

@ Gordon - .89 is definitely WORK bro, congratulations and check that back tire.

@Phil - Nice work bro!  I had to do the water running back in 2012 when I shredded one of my right pereneol tendons.   Amazing how fast the recovery came along with that.

@ MW - Looks like you are coming up to speed fast beginning to bang on all cylinders! 

SS - mid week update:

Mon / Wed swims done.  Mon/Tues/Wed runs done.  90' Tues intensity bike complete.  Body tired  - complete

Deferred my hacked intensity bike to sometime around lunch hour today.  (Long run for me on Sunday)

The ToC guys are tearing up the Strava leader board!

Good luck out there to those doing long runs today!

• Options

Skipped last Friday's swim and run due to fatigue and social (SAU) obligations. Full Saturday and Sunday on the drainer. Successful sweat test executed. Successfully executing all workouts this week. Reversed yesterday's brick. Ran 4.2 mi home (with some steep hills) then got on the drainer for the 1:10. Legs are feeling the fatigue prior to today's long run. I suspect a proper brick would have flushed my legs better for today. Alas, I push through.

Safe training all.

• Options
    @SS no worries.... I'd be going earlier if I could... That weekend is the only one that works for me.... Its gonna be all business anyway ;-)

• Options
    Unplanned day off today. Missed biking this morning and too busy a schedule to make it up or get to the pool this afternoon.

@SS - thanks for the encouragement. No stress fracture, but believes it's a Morton's Hemotoma. I was referred to a podiatrist and told to take two weeks off f running. Lots of chlorine and biking in my future.
  • Options
    long run this morning -- great running weather in northern NJ; cloudless and 45 degrees at 5am!

12.93 miles in 1h41min for an overall pace of 7:49 / mile

wasn't able to hit Z2 in the final 40' but ran strong on some hills and increased pace vs. the first hour

back in the pool tomorrow!
  • Options

The weather was great today for a 1:45 run.  I stayed in zone 1 for the first 60 mins then increased to zone 2.  I increased my hills today with 800ft of elevation.  Each weak I plan on adding a few more feet of climbing but with that I'm giving up distance.  But my thought is if I can run up hill I can run the flats even better!!! ..... I hope!

• Options
    Crank the Kanc TT Done.... 74 minutes of pain , 21 miles , 2300' elev gain , 5 seconds slower than my 2012 time , 11th out of 79 Masters M45-54 AG , This is the closest thing I have done to an FTP test since last year..... 74 minutes at 210watts comes in at IF .95 of my current self estimated STRAVA backed up FTP of 222 and a w/kg ratio for the effort @ 3.76 .... This falls in line with OLY bike splits of 64-80minutes and 202-218 watts.... Gonna call it good enough..... OK now I'm gonna get serious about IMLP LOL!

Back to watching the IMTX peeps !
  • Options

Busy couple days even missed tracking the team for IMTX for the most part. 

I was up early and got in 3.5 on the trainer again today as written.  I logged 188 TSS and .72 and for all but 15' around the 1/2 way mark I felt pretty good.  Oddly enough when I stopped for a bathroom break at 2H30' I felt much better until right near the end.  This was only 2' so I guess the break was what I needed. 

• Options

Sunday 3 hour bike ride overall @ .74 with 173 TSS. I had to manage myself today as I was a little tired so after 30' WU I alternated 10'(5') .75-.8 with .8-.85.  I only did 40' @ ..82 but it was a good choice as I would not have made the 3 hours riding zn3 all the way.

• Options
    Did a 3 hour session in the Blue Ridge yesterday - climbed 6300ft. The ride was slow but hard climbing sessions - my NP FTP shows a hard workout and the TSS was 321. Didn't get in my long run on Thursday since my family dropped by (we had a huge loss in the family 3 weeks ago and I'm the closest relative, so lots of time caring for folks). I'll try to get in a drainer session followed by a hour+ on the dreadmill.

Last year I got hammered out at Coeur d'Alene by the combination of headwinds and hills - won't make that mistake again this year at Placid. Headed up to the Placid area over camp weekend but I'll be offsite since I've pretty much busted the budget this year! A good time to get the training in on the actual course... looking forward to exploring the region
  • Options

Looks like the IMTX team did a HUGE job under some tough, humid, windy conditions!

Great reports coming in to wrap up Week 10!

Mike  / Kristin - strong long run performance!

Tim - 3.76 w/kg for 74 mins has got be well over 4.0 for 60'!  Hell of a way to test your FTP, painful.  Well Done!!

Gordon / Stuart - nice work on the bike guys! 

Sat Long ride done: https://www.strava.com/activities/305199844 (forced to use the trainer as the front hub cracked when I mounted the bike to take off.  Appears that ZIPP does have recall out for this issue and wheel will be covered under the recall - TG!)  Ride was brutal for me the last 90 mins as I am working to build endurance on top of a new FTP set 2 weeks ago at the end of 8 weeks of the GF plan.  got through the whole ordeal with a .74 IF and 4:05 of ride time.

Sun Long Run done: https://www.strava.com/activities/306647978 (Tough with 85% humidity)  Drank 4 bottles of Gatorade Endurance and 2 salt pills.  (I lose about 56 ounces of sweat/hour under those conditions)  Took 1 2XCaf gel at 90' mark to bring it home.

Recover strong all for week 11 is upon us!