Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Mark's IMCDA RR1

A week late in doing the rehearsal due to some family/moving commitments last week, so did RR1 this weekend.  Feel free to critique away!

Fri: Swam 1:06:47, 4200 yds in 25yd pool with wall turns.  100 lap times increased from about 1:32ish first half to 1:38ish in last 1000.

Sat:

Bike: 112 miles in 6:29.  I accidentally restarted Garmin after 22 miles, so two different files.  FTP 229, weight around 187.  P2 with powertap on Reynolds assault.  Profile areobottle, 1 bottle on down tube, 1 bottle on rear cage.  Flat kit in keg on rear cage.  

Breakfast: 3 cups of applesauce with 1 scoop whey protein (that's a lot of applesauce!)  Forgot to grab the banana as I went out the door.

Ride fuel: 1 Strawberry-Banana Powergel every 30 minutes, 1 bottle Gatorade every hour; 1 Salt Tab every hour (changed to every 1.5-2.0 hours after having to pee three times in first 2 hours) - 320 calories per hour.

First file: 21.9 miles, 292ft gain, NP 150, IF .66, VI 1.006, TSS 52, Cadence 86, HR 119, Time 1:13:07

Second file: 90.2 miles, 2395ft gain, NP 157, IF .69, VI 1.032, TSS 255, Cadence 81, HR 122, Time 5:16:29

Weather was friggin fantastic; not too windy, not too warm.  I think this is the best I've fueled the bike, ever!  I normally haven't been very good about eating early and often or tracking my fluid consumption, and I think it paid off throughout.  Stayed fairly aero throughout except when climbing, and as always, after about 2.5 hours my back starts to give me some fits so some stretching throughout and have a tendency to stand at an easy wattage more and more as I get farther into the ride.  Nevertheless, I wasn't disappointed with the ride.  I had to move my Garmin 510 back behind my aero bottle, so rode a lot more RPE vice looking back to computer, though still constantly checked 3/30 second watts; need to trim my aero bar tape so I can remount in front of bottle.  Believe most of the time I was holding around .65-.66 IF, and then experiencing fat man jumps in NP/IF as I climbed; at a 6% grade, I'm likely near my FTP.  After a bunch of climbs, my IF had jumped to almost .73.  Still looking to drop another 8 lbs before race day, but that is going to require some near Ninja like restraint on my part, which is usually more like a green belt karate kid. 

Run: Goal is to run between 9:45 to 10:00 first 6 miles, then drop to 9:15 to 9:30 ~ for CDA, I plan to drop into quicker pace after last run climb on 1st loop ~ around mile 6.5-7.0.  

6 miles, 58:42, Pace 9:43 mile (last mile in 9:22 to check HR as I increased 30" per mile - first 5 between 9:44-9:53), HR 140.

I felt really strong coming off the bike.  My HR was around 127 in last hour of the bike, but I'm not sure I could get my HR that low while doing anything other than walking.  Had it around 135-139 while plodding along at 9:50, increased to around 144 when dropping 30" per mile.  Spikes when I eat/drink, and with some concentration, I can drop 2-3 with some focus on internal relaxation.  

Still two more weeks of solid training before the taper, and another RR at the end of those two weeks.  I'm feeling good about my fitness, though one of these days, I'm going to become a stronger cyclist ~ my achilles heel!

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    Looks good to me. The only thing I remain confused about is your TSS. I understand a TSS >300 is a problem, but looking at your IF you nailed the execution, so not sure how to get that lower without literally crawling. Our numbers are ridiculously close. With no experience at IM distance, I seem to remain clear headed running in the 130s. 140, and definitely 150, I start to lose my focus due to exertion. DS
  • Options

To paraphrase the Coaches, "If your time for the 112 miles is 6:30 or greater, the constraints of TSS do not apply. Simply ride @ 0.67-0.69, and let the TSS fall where it will. VI becomes even more important for these athletes." For RR#2, limit your ride to 6 hours - no need to test the distance, follow the plan.

On the run, comments related to HR management: For me, I see walking as an opportunity for my HR to drop, so that GI absorption of fluid intake is a bit easier. To accomplish that, I walk about 10-15 steps BEFORE starting to drink. You also mention that your HR seems to spike when eating/drinking. Maybe you need to focus that relaxation on the initial steps before taking a drink. And why are you eating anything during the run? Solids are often problematic. That won;'t appear in a one hour brick during the RR, but will show up in the latter half of an IM marathon.

• Options
    Doug/Al, Thanks for the feedback. The 300+ TSS over 6:30 was my understanding as well ~ I think the pacing on the bike is pretty dialed in based on this test; shooting for .64-.66, and the climbs will take me up to .69ish. By eating, I'm referring to slugging down a gel; no solids except maybe a banana half once or twice if I'm seriously starving. The interruption to the breathing pattern is what is spiking the HR. I will simulate an aid station next time ~ eat coming into the station, grabbing water/gatorade and walking 15-20 steps before running again, and see what this does for the HR. Have no issue dropping the next test to 6:00, but as I missed camp week, wanted to get the full effect and confidence in doing my 112 pre-race this year; had I not, I might've still been in the air as to how I might feel after the full deal. Thanks again for chiming in.

Doug specifically...agree that our numbers are really close...think you're FTP is a bit higher; very good chance we will be in the vicinity of each other all day!

Mark
  • Options
    maybe look at your bike fluid intake.   especially on a hot day.      Coach P and I about the same weight as you.    we try to do 48 ounces per hour of the Gatorade.       (two bottles)