Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Funny things you see at the local pool

You know how it goes, morning swim, it's the same group of people all year long and everyone kinda knows who swims in what lanes, who likes to share and who doesn't, etc.  My morning swim at the YMCA involves 3 (or 4 on a good day) lap lanes and then the Aqua Aerobics ladies doing their thing in the big open section and the most "entertainment" I get is finding humor in the musical choice of the Aqua-Aerobics ladies (I swear to God, one day they were playing Polka!)

Today, however, was a new treat!   As I was finishing up my workout, Mr M (a BIG Ocean Lifeguard dude) came into the pool and jumped into the end with a big splash- not quite a cannon ball, but close, and enough to nearly lose his shorts!! This gave the Aqua ladies a big laugh and they gave him a cheer. He pulled the shorts up over his crack and took a bow. Too funny!  I thought that was it and continued to finish my intervals and cooldown.  But then, as I got out of the pool to head to the locker room,  I heard a more than usual commotion coming from the Aqua ladies- Mr M (again, BIG DUDE) has now joined them for their workout!!! It was hilarious!  Maybe you had to be there, but trust me, it was funny!

So what's your favorite funny pool story?

Comments

• Options
    We too have the Aquatic ladies in Florida, but down here they're called the Bobbing Bluehairs. One day at my pool, they played Phil Collins sonic atrocity "Easy Lover" on repeat for the entire 45 minutes. Seriosly, like 13 times straight! I assume the goal was to drive me out. Or nuts. It worked, as that musical crime against mankind was in my head the rest of the day. In fact, it's back in my head now. Dammit.

More like a tragedy than a comedy.
  • Options
    aaaaaand now it's stuck in my head too. thanks.
  • Options

@ my local Y, there's the guy who jumps in, does 2-4 hard lengths, pops out, hits the deck for 25 pushups, then repeats for, oh, maybe 15-20 minutes.

More impressive, though certainly not "funny", are the 4 guys who are swimming lengths @ the same time the aqua aerobics are going on in the other 2 lanes. One has bilateral leg braces for his shriveled lower extremities (from polio?), another has only one leg, a third rolls his wheelchair to the edge and rolls in- he has a much more profound case of the same problem I got from a bike accident, central cord syndrome, which has basically weakened EVERYTHING from C5 on down, and the fourth has some systemic neuro-muscular dystrophy, leaving him very thin and weak - he can barely dress himself in the locker room. If those four guys can make it back and forth, why can't those in the aerobics classes?

• Options
    Wow, Al, that's seriously impressive and inspirational!

• Options
    So, I am swimming laps at a Golds Gym pool while I am out of town. The pool has about 5 lanes and I am in the second one. I am doing a long set and I notice this big line of bright purple blobs (being polite) lining up against the right side lane marker. Nice, the big folks water aerobics class i think as I take another lap. Then I notice that they are moving towards me and the lane is getting narrower. They just undid the lane marker and took over the pool by making a line and squeezing the lane shut. Fortunately, I was able to move over to the last lane and they let me alone but it was like "Invasion of the pink and purple butts" the stuff that bad horror movies are made of....