Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

PSA To IM CDA Athletes

I'm reluctant to write this, for fear of scare-mongering, but as both a physician, and one who has raced many IMs in the heat, I feel compelled.

First off, the folks @ the NOAA weather service who spend their lives worrying about inland northwest weather have this to say this morning: "...confidence is high based on pattern recognition and general model agreement that the weekend will feature record breaking heat pretty much across the forecast area..." My best guess from following these weather predictions and seeing the results for a few decades now is that the high temps on Sunday will be between 95 and 105F, leaning towards the higher end of that range, with the peak temps from 3 PM thru 7PM.

As a physician, I know that people competing in an IM can put themselves at serious, literally life-threatening risk, in those conditions. The two big risks are heat exhaustion/stroke, and hyponatremia. Heat stroke kills people, and results when internal temps exceed about 102.4, which is as much a function of muscular activity as it is external temp. The high ambient temp simply makes it hard if not impossible to effect internal cooling if the critical level is exceeded. The two ways to avoid this outcome are: GO SLOWER. A LOT SLOWER!!!! And of course, use all cooling measures you can imagine - ice in the groin area, in your palms, run under hoses (better foot blisters than a trip to the ER/ICU0, etc etc.

Hyponatremia (low blood sodium) seems to affect a certain segment of the athletes; those who are taking a long time to run, and who are consuming lots of water to stay hydrated/cool. This is also a life threatening prospect. I'm usually not an advocate of salt tabs - I feel ouR bodies, and the on-course gatorade and other nutrition have sufficient NaCl in them - but in this case, salt pills + (diluted) Gatorade Endurance instead of pure water, is probably a great idea.

As an IM athlete, I have competed in and completed a number of IMs with temps in the 90s, and run @ Boston when the start was @ noon, and temps hit 80. I know this event can be completed, but it requires a different mind set, mainly - if you feel like you are running too hard, you probably are. SIMPLY SLOW DOWN. Drown your ego in the lake on the swim. One example. In the infamous 2005 IM Wisconsin, when temps hit 95 coupled with typical midwest humidity, I had my slowest (to that point) IM finish ever, but my highest overall placing (and first KQ). I also negative split the marathon by 19 minutes, showing how slow I was going until after the sun started to get shaded by the trees on the second half. Despite that, it took me THREE months to truly recover from that race, and I did create some rhabdomyolysis (excessive muscle breakdown) as a result of the heat coupled with my effort.

As I said, I don't mean to scare people, BUT, I do not want any EN athletes to damage themselves on Sunday. When the temps get north of body temp, the risks become magnified, and must be seriously respected.

Comments

• Options
    I appreciate this Al. While I plan on executing a smart race, focus on cooling myself, and have my only goal to be to finish, I am fully prepared to listen to my body and make a smart call if need be. I know people think its awful to even entertain thoughts of not finishing, but ironman is not my job and is not going anywhere. I don't think it is awesome or makes me tough to finish in a very bad state medically, I think that is stupid. I have IMWI in September, and your statement about 3 months of recovery is very real. So while I fully intend on finishing and hope everyone does, safety first. All of our fans/supporters would much rather see us safe and healthy and DNF than finishing (or not...) in a very bad place.
  • Options
    Al, THANK YOU! I also recorded a video this morning to help as well..it's on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/k3CkdF2w8YY Good luck everyone!
  • Options

Al is always the best!  Looking out for all and providing incredible advice!!

I posted the below in other IMCDA RRs....

For IMTX, I wore white arm coolers on the run.  Each aid station I dumped ICE under my hat, down the back of my shirt, wetting my arm coolers and holding ice in my mouth and hands until the next aid station.  Repeat each mile and you will have a HUGE advantage over most of your competitors.

I am also very careful with my sodium intake both on bike and run, using only buffered electrolytes (Salt Stick) and pumping 1,300 - 1,400 mgs of sodium/hour across my total ingested mix of nutrition.  (Based on my sweat rate under those conditions)

If things get bad, slow down, stop, get your HR down, hydrate and move forward.

Very important, under these conditions to pre-define an HR ceiling for both the bike and run based on your fitness level.

• Options
    "If things get bad, slow down, stop, get your HR down, hydrate and move forward." Wise words...

I would add that every CDA athlete should have a zip lock bag with them on the run course so you can fill it with ice at the aid stations. Life saver at Challenge Williamsburg 70.3 two weeks ago to stay cool on the run course. And that was just a half.

• Options
    Al,

Many thanks for this post; think it is exactly what my ego needed!! A true heart to heart and reminder that we are not invincible!

Mark
  • Options
    Temp climbing, now to 108. I am leaving the family at home if that is the call Thursday morning. I will be there one way or another.
  • Options

It is looking ugly.....if it were me, I am making sure I have an extra bottle holder on my bike and using that to carry the third bottle of water I will use to pour on my helmet, clothing and white arm coolers to keep cooler, re-stocking every ten miles or so at each bike aid station......

SS

• Options
    Question- I only have space for two bottles on my bike- 1 BTA and 1 on the down tube. My bike is on its way to CDA right now. Should I get a behind the seat bottle or something that I won't have time to try out, or should I wear a bike jersey and keep a water bottle in the back pocket? Not too worried about lost speed changing tops with all the lost speed coming from the heat. Would also get better shoulder protection?
  • Options

This was _just_ posted on WTC's Tri Club program FB group:

Update on IM CDA: Race start at 5:30 am to take advantage of cooler temps. Early start will impact cutoffs but at this point the race is planned to go! Good luck to everyone racing. Be COOL everyone!!

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM IRONMAN: 

IRONMAN COEUR D’ALENE MOVES TO A 5:30 A.M. RACE START

TAMPA, Fla. (June 23, 2015) – Due to the current weather forecast calling for unusually high temperatures for this weekend’s IRONMAN® Coeur d’Alene event, IRONMAN has decided to adjust the race start time to 5:30 a.m.

As our primary concern is the safety and security of our participants, spectators, volunteers, first responders and staff, we have been and will continue to be in constant communication with the National Weather Center and medical personnel to make certain we have the most accurate and up-to-date information. Plans have already been made to increase medical personnel support on the course as well as to increase our on course misting stations, fluids, sponges and ice orders. We will continue to work on additional contingency plans if adverse weather conditions require further modifications to the event. If any additional changes become necessary, they will be communicated to the athletes as early as possible.

Below is the new timeline for the race:

5:30 a.m. - Pro Men

5:35 a.m. - Pro Women

5:45 a.m. - Rolling Age-Group Start

8:20 a.m. - Swim cut-off

12:30 p.m. - First Bike cut-off (Any rider who has not made the start of the second lap by 12:30 p.m. will not be allowed to continue).

3:15 p.m. - Second bike cut-off (Highway 95 turn-around).

4:30 p.m. - Official bike cut-off

8:00 p.m. - Run cut-off at halfway point of run (Lakeside turn-around)

9:30 p.m. - Second run cut-off (Bennett Bay Hill)

11:00 p.m. - Race officially ends

• Options

@Rachel, Wear the bike jersey and carry the extra bottle in one of the back pockets.  You get better shoulder coverage (less sunburn) and you don't have the stress of trying to install / use a new bottle cage.  If you have not practiced using a behind the seat type cage, I would not recommend trying it for the first time during your race.  Just my $0.02.  

• Options
    Rachel. Bike jersey is a good option if you want an extra place to store a bottle. Don't mess around with your bike right before the race.
  • Options
    Sometimes we're dealt that hand that dictates how we have to play.

Remember, at the end of the day, Ironman is an endurance event.

The goal of finishing comes right before any goal regarding time or AG placing.

Play it smart. Stay humble. Stay on top of any and all early clues that will hint for you to adjust appropriately. Just be honest with yourself and don't try to be a hero.

Be safe out there.
  • Options
    Rachel- Bike jersey is the easiest answer to adding a bottle. Especially if you don't mind an extra minute or two changing clothes in transition on a crazy day like what's predicted.
  • Options

Great post by Al.  Stay safe out there.  I'll only add visit the wiki page below and download the heat calculator in the 3rd section.  You will probably have to slow down more than you think and this will help.  I know I was surprised the first time I did some calculations with it. 

http://members.endurancenation.us/R...+Execution

• Options
    Add this to the Great EN Quotes Thread:

"Drown your ego in the lake on the swim. " A Truscott
  • Options

Hey all you IMCDA folks, stay smart and safe out there. Last year at the full Vineman it was 106 on the bike and 90 when I started the run.  Here's the link to my race report if you care to read it and see how I coped. http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/16263/Default.aspx

2X the slow down early, empty your bottle as you come up to the aid station, grab a bottle and rack it, grab another bottle of water and pour it over yourself, ice early and often in the run. If you have desoto cool wings you can pack ice under your arm pits. It's great. Pack ice in your shorts and in your top.

Good luck.