Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2015 Ironman Florida Race Camp

Team PCB,

My Ironman Florida training camp is officially open for registration, so I wanted to create this thread to tell you more about the camp and highlight when folks to join us in Panama City Beach in September.

Dates: Thurs, September 24th through Sunday, September 27th

Camp HQ: Hampton Inn & Suites at Pier Park

Camp Includes:

• 3 nights double occupancy lodging at the Hampton Inn & Suites
  • Breakfast at the buffet each day.
  • SAG on the bike course and training food (Gatorade Endurance and whatever else IM will have on the course will be provided for you during the camp)
  • All instruction, of course
  • Camp and sponsor schwag.

The camp schedule follows a progressive format, with each day building towards the next, with the goal of having you exit the camp several years and wasted races up the Ironman racing and training curve, with special attention paid to the application of these skills to every inch of your Ironman course. 

1. First, we teach you how to race Ironman in general and then introduce you to the application of these topics to the Ironman Florida bike course specifically. The winds and general lack of terrain changes make IM Florida much harder than it would appear on paper. Knowing how the course plays out -- and how to break it down into manageable chunks -- will be a significant strategic advantage.
  2. Next, you go out on the course and apply ^this^ knowledge to the bike course.
  3. Then we debrief the ride, as a group. Now that you've seen the course we can talk about this section, that corner, etc. 
  4. Next we discuss "advanced" race execution topics: gearing, bike setup, bike fit, aerodynamics, pacing, nutrition, and hydration strategies for the swim, bike, and run.
  5. Then you go back out on Saturday to practice and refine these skills again. 
  6. We meet Saturday evening for another debrief, to answer more questions, and then discuss Phd/Masters level topics of racing with power, pace, and Ironman training for the AG athlete, to get you thinking right about '16. 
  7. Finally, you'll run one loop of the run course on Sunday, with all of ^this^ in your head.

These days, a training camp run by another coach is usually nothing more than lots of miles, maybe some discussion, and not much else. And there are often informal training camps organized by fellow athletes on Facebook, etc, that are really nothing more than a large group of people meeting in a parking lot to go for a ride, run or swim. 

Our Endurance Nation training camps are over-the-top educational events, with RorP bringing significant game to the task of teaching you how to race and train for Ironman triathlons effectively. They are also an unmatched opportunity to meet and network with your TeamEN teammates who will be racing Ironman Florida with you, and so are probably the best real-world compliment to your Endurance Nation experience. In fact, we would like nothing more than to fill these camps with 100% TeamEN members vs the general public.

My Ironman Florida Experience

I've raced the event twice, with a PR 10:45 in my first ever Ironman back in 2001. I've been at the race approximately 8 years, and I know the course very well.  Please note that this will be our first ever training camp on the IMFL course since it's one of our 2015 Key Races.

Go here for the complete camp schedule and registration details. 

Thanks for reading and I hope you choose to join me in Panama City Beach for this camp!

The In List (Coming Soon!)

Comments

• Options
    definitely maybe. it would be really nice to get away for a long weekend and just train eat and sleep.
  • Options
    Definite maybe here too. I am racing IMMT... Looks like this camp may scheduled to be about the perfect amount of time to have recovered and fully reengage in training...??
  • Options

Definitely YES,

Will need all the help I can get to stay in the same Zip Code as M. Roberts........!

SS

• Options
    just went to check sign ups for this. Looks like it is CXL'd, yes?
  • Options

looks like it.

Confirmed, yes. Not enough interest. See you all there in November!

• Options
    It's ok. Not much education on this course. I was looking for an excuse to get out of town for a few days.
  • Options
    Guess that's a good thing since it wasn't in the cards for me anyway. Only thing I'm sweating is the swim in the Gulf. I can handle a flat bike course and flat run with ease.

• Options
    Anthony - the swim wasnt that bad really. I was there year before last. There were some pretty big waves for the first 100m or so and a bit of a crosscurrent. But it was wetsuit legal and salt water so you couldnt sink if you tried.
    And it is a two lap swim. Mentally that helped me a lot (it was my first full). Knowing I only had 1950m ot so till i was back on land helped and the course visually looked smaller which helped with pre-race nerves. By the time I was heading back in for lap two everything was fine anyway.
    I see that you are from Dallas. It was kind of like texas swims in that visibility was poor.
  • Options

Jimmy that's EXACTLY how I feel about this swim. I like the idea that each lap is an out and back, and that I get to leave the water for a bit. image

• Options
    A piece of advice for the swim, if it is rough, know how to duck dive. It was amazing to see people trying to break through the surf standing up versus diving under the waves in 2013.

2013 was my first full and while I was a swimmer kid and comfortable in the water the two loop helped break it down. Go way down the beack for lap two (you'll learn this and more in Coach P's webinar -- assuming they still do them).

Back to lurker mode for another year :-)