Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2015 Ironman Arizona Training Camp

Team Arizona,

My NEW Ironman Arizona training camp is officially open for registration, so I wanted to create this thread to tell you more about the camp and highlight who's registered to join us in Tempe in October.

Dates: Thurs, October 15th through Sunday, October 18th

Camp HQ: Hotel TBD

Camp Includes:

• 3 nights double occupancy lodging
  • Breakfast at the buffet each day.
  • SAG on the bike course and training food (Gatorade Endurance and whatever else IM will have on the course will be provided for you during the camp)
  • All instruction, of course
  • Camp and sponsor schwag.

The camp schedule follows a progressive format, with each day building towards the next, with the goal of having you exit the camp several years and wasted races up the Ironman racing and training curve, with special attention paid to the application of these skills to every inch of your Ironman course. 

1. First, we teach you how to race Ironman in general and then introduce you to the application of these topics to the Ironman Arizona bike course specifically.
  2. Next, you go out on the course and apply ^this^ knowledge to the bike course.
  3. Then we debrief the ride, as a group. Now that you've seen the course we can talk about this hill, that corner, etc. 
  4. Next we discuss "advanced" race execution topics: gearing, bike setup, bike fit, aerodynamics, pacing, nutrition, and hydration strategies for the swim, bike, and run.
  5. Then you go back out on Saturday to practice and refine these skills again. 
  6. We meet Saturday evening for another debrief, to answer more questions, and then discuss Phd/Masters level topics of racing with power, pace, and Ironman training for the AG athlete, to get you thinking right about '16. 
  7. Finally, you'll run one loop of the run course on Sunday, with all of ^this^ in your head.

These days, a training camp run by another coach is usually nothing more than lots of miles, maybe some discussion, and not much else. And there are often informal training camps organized by fellow athletes on Facebook, etc, that are really nothing more than a large group of people meeting in a parking lot to go for a ride, and then maybe confusing the hell out of each other by having dinner and talking about race execution topics that they really know nothing about. 

Our Endurance Nation training camps are over-the-top educational events, with RorP bringing significant game to the task of teaching you how to race and train for Ironman triathlons effectively. They are also an unmatched opportunity to meet and network with your TeamEN teammates who will be racing Ironman Arizona with you, and so are probably the best real-world compliment to your Endurance Nation experience. In fact, we would like nothing more than to fill these camps with 100% TeamEN members vs the general public.

My Ironman Arizona Experience

I've been at the race nearly every year of the event, have coached hundreds of athletes to successful finishes at Ironman Arizona, and have served as motorcycle support for the race 4-5x's, as the driver for the head referee.

This Camp vs IM Arizona 70.3

Yes, this weekend is the same weekend as the new IMAZ 70.3 event. I put this camp on the schedule well before the race was announced and have decided to "stick to my guns," keeping the camp on the same weekend:

• The date of the camp just works for Ironman Arizona, from a training perspective.
  • The 70.3 bike course bears no relation to the IMAZ bike course. Go here for my thoughts on IMAZ 70.3 vs the full
  • Anyone racing the half, regardless of the date of this camp, isn't going to attend the camp anyway. 
  • Finally, this camp will be a far, far better use of your $$$, as race-specific preparation of the full, compared to nearly $400 half Ironman + lodging on a crazy crowded bike course that has zero relation to your goal race. 

Go here for the complete camp schedule and registration details

Thanks for reading and I hope you choose to join me in Arizona for this camp!

The In List

1 YOUR NAME HERE!

Comments

• Options
    Can us AZ 70.3 still get some EN mojo while you're there? :-)
  • Options

Posted By Bob McCallum on 24 Mar 2015 06:48 PM

Can us AZ 70.3 still get some EN mojo while you're there? :-)

Yes, would be easy to do a combined campers vs racers dinner on Saturday. And we'll be doing our long run on the run course while you guys are cycling 

• Options
    I actually have those days off (I think) and would much rather run the course during the 70.3 bike ( I hate it). I will tell my relay team to forget it-the runner wasn't too keen on it anyway!
  • Options
    Folk, I'm going to call off this camp. I haven't had any interested expressed by the members and I feel the need to go on a bit of a walk-about on a moto in October after IMWI. I'll see you all in Tempe in November!
  • Options
    Wow.... bummed. Finally I'm back in AZ (Tucson) and have been working hard at building SAUs ....was really hoping to make this years IMAZ camp. Sigh.
    I'll check in with the IMAZ forum for any course pre rides etc I did IMAZ'12 so I can solo run/ride out of memory but was looking FWD to the EN mogo (and brain picking/strategy sponging)

This trainup is going to prove ..."interesting" me thinks (I'm getting called "obsessed" and "workout junky" with 5-8 hrs/week current OLY focus LOL) Cant wait till OCT's big bike weekends/weeks.