Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽโ€บ 140.6 Forumsโ€บ Ironman Wisconsin
Options

11 Weeks Out

11 weeks out from the race, and now things are starting to get serious. I hope everyone is feeling healthy and are hitting all their workouts. ย Please share with us how your week of training goes below.

Comments

• Options

I hit the long bike and long run in successive days on Wed and Thurs, since those were my days off this week, and my work sched over the weekend is crazy. I'm definitely feeling it, but lost like 6 pounds over the 2 days! ha. Hit the numbers during the 210min bike, but was really feeling weak at the end due to a bunch of hills in a late stretch of roads, 69 miles at 19.6mph. Last 50 mins of 110min run were close to z2-3, but some fatigue slowed me a bit, did reach 12.7 miles at 8:41/mile tho. Time to fuel up and get on that roller cause the quads are screaming. Luckily the calves and achillies are surviving. Praying the injury bug stays away. Swims are going ok. I'm in the same range I am always in, 1:35-1:40/100 yds. I'm ok with that. Will be at the rally at the end of July, so that will be a huge test to how I am progressing. Hope others are doing well!

• Options
    I kicked things off with an Olympic distance triathlon on June 21 then on June 22 started week 1 of the 12 week IM Advanced plan. So far so good.

Week 1 was 16:41 of training time...9350 yd swimming, 8:03 bike time, 38 mi running (4:28 run time), 1:50 strength. Total TSS 1239. One missed run...the 45 minute Friday run.

So far this week I missed the 45 minute Tuesday run but have hit everything else. Totals irrelevant until the weekend is done with 7 hours of riding planned but the swimming is completed and things look on track. Actually I swapped Wed/Thurs and did the long run on Wednesday morning then an extended outdoor 2-hour ride+brick yesterday due to time available ahead of the holiday weekend.

Next week I'm in the UK so may not be as compliant........
  • Options
    11 weeks! Oh my! the last two weeks I was traveling quite a bit for work so they naturally became run focused weeks. Last weekend and this week I've been hitting the bike hard and I just finished my long run this morning. I'm a slow runner so I also add in the optional Sunday run as often as I can. After a disappointing swim performance at a 70.3 in June I have had a bit of a bad attitude about swimming and haven't done much - very counter productive, I know. I got a new wetsuit and I'm planning to go test it out with an OWS this afternoon - hoping it will be a turning point for me. Very weird because swimming has always been my favorite of the three.

The travel stuff winds down now so I am looking forward to following the plan more closely and being consistent in the coming weeks!

Can't wait to hear how everyone else's training is coming along!
  • Options

Good to see this thread!

I've been hitting it pretty hard since my Tour of California camp. Feel like I'm on a roll and hope I can keep it up, though today I feel a bit like I got rolled over by a truck. Dino and I rode 137mi down to San Diego yesterday at a very good pace, clocking 112 mi in about 5:10 along the way. Due to some routing issues (it's been about 10+yrs since I've ridden all the way to SD) we had to climb a pretty long 12-16% hill at about mile 130. Just. Evil.ย 

Now trying to motivate for 7mi IM-pace run, 25mi hilly bike and a swim at the Rose Bowl. Tomorrow is a big climbing day but I think I may toss myself off a cliff if I have to ride the P3...

Below is my PMC where I've scheduled out most of my training through our final RR. These numbers will inevitably go down as life adjusts the plan for me.ย 

• Options
    Howdy all,
    I have been hammering away at the swims, feeling better than I usually do at this point. The run is doing well but the heat always takes it toll. I have been splitting the long run into two and it allowed me to do 18 plus in one day at a pace I could not have kept up if I tried to do that all at once. Come camp I will switch it up to go with a full long run. The bike is coming along as I start to build in the long while trying to keep up some FTP work through the week. Run target is about 40 a week, three good swims, and biking about 9 to 10 hours. The mental shift has started!
  • Options
    Coach Rich,

What software is that?
  • Options
    Rich those numbers are very impressive not only in terms of amount of work (rough math on the ATL says >1500 TSS/week?) but also in terms of the consistency. The latter just feels impossible for me to achieve with travel and work but man it would be good to be able to do. Out of interest, how many hours / wk is your S/B/R total? Last week I was ~1240 TSS on ~14 hours S/B/R and I'm curious as to if your substantially higher TSS numbers are primarily driven by time or intensity.
  • Options

Posted By Mike Brand on 03 Jul 2015 01:55 PM

Coach Rich,

What software is that?

I began logging everything in TrainingPeaks beginning in about early April. Then I gave myself of the homework of importing/recreating all of my stuff from Strava into TP, going back to about early October '14, when I consider myself to have kinda put the training hat back on.ย 

• Options

Posted By Matt Aaronson on 03 Jul 2015 02:44 PM

Rich those numbers are very impressive not only in terms of amount of work (rough math on the ATL says >1500 TSS/week?) but also in terms of the consistency. The latter just feels impossible for me to achieve with travel and work but man it would be good to be able to do. Out of interest, how many hours / wk is your S/B/R total? Last week I was ~1240 TSS on ~14 hours S/B/R and I'm curious as to if your substantially higher TSS numbers are primarily driven by time or intensity.

Probably good to keep in mind that I'm about the closest thing that EN has a pro triathlete on the squad...NOT from a speed standpoint but from my potential to just do a lot of work, as a function of the dynamics of my personal life and lifestyle. Self-employed, no kids, wife has been working a ton lately, etc. So my last 4 weeks have been 21, 20, 19, and 17hrs, I believe. I'm using my WI and Chat camps as very high volume cycling weeks (separated by ~10 days), using the weeks before, between, and after as run weeks.ย 

I've put up a lot of notes in the PMC Discussion Thread, but what's been most valuable for me has been to use the charts to encourage me to be consistent with my running and to strategically plan some targeted, high volume cycling weekends.

Note the steady increase in my run CTL. This is really motivating for me and I had a breakthru run, of sorts, today: ~10" per mile faster on the same/similar course I've been doing regularly for a couple weeks, after cycling 137mi yesterday and cracking 155lb this morning.ย 

• Options
    I crashed back in April and broke my collarbone, and then my wife and I had a new baby last week. So I am going to have a non traditional build up to this Ironman, but I think it will work out. I worked with Coach P and came up with an approach that takes into account all of my life factors. For the last 5 weeks or so (minus last week) I have been cruising on 8 hours of training per week. I am currently at 6000 yards swimming, 3 hours on the bike (2 FTP workouts and 1 VO2), and 25 miles per week running. I am going to cruise for 2 more weeks like this so I can keep helping with the new baby. The plan is to have two monster weekends in August (Pre-negotiated with the wife), the first will be the back to back 112 mile rides, and then I will do a big bike week. Meanwhile I am going to build up to 50mpw on the run and do a few 20 milers. For the swim I am going to try the 9 step Mike approach and build up to a few weeks of 4 swims totaling 14,000 yards, I already have my wetronome and I have been practicing my coin in the butt visualization.

At the same time I want to really nail execution, because my training will be fairly minimal. I did my sweat test (41 oz/hour). I am going to wear a Tri Suit, new helmet, latex tubes, optimized chain, shave everything, and anything else I can do for free watts.

The good news is my bike FTP is back at an all time high, I have been burying myself in the garage. Last year I targeted 163 watts it IMCDA. This time around the plan is to target 190 watts which I hope results in a major breakthrough on my bike split. My run is also starting to come back, and once I get some long runs in and start doing threshold intervals again I hope it bounces back even more. As for the swim I just need to gain strength and endurance in my shoulder, and thankfully I feel it coming back.

I can't wait to race with you all!
  • Options
    Hi, all,
    Have been reading all of your updates but have not had time to post my own until now. Plugging away and hitting all my workouts. Racing in Racine in less then two weeks for my first half and then a big push for Madison. Feeling good presently. Going to get in two open water swims this weekend. Lake Michigan is going to cold! Purchased a new bike about two weeks ago and really love it. Trying to get in all the hills I can. Can't wait for the Madison camp in August. I know that will really help my final execution! Look forward to more updates from each of you.
    Cristi
  • Options
    I have also been following along with a very hectic week.

Rich, I appreciate the file postings. I tried to do the same, but you are way more tech savy then I am.

The key that I noticed is that I may not be doing my FTP threshold power testing right or often enough as I have workouts with IF above 1.0. I also appreciated the IF/NP discussion that Patrick did as I have been racing with power for the last few years. It helped unlock another level of understanding.

Looking forward to another great IM at Madison. I have been joking I did it because it is easy for me being home town course. No way it will be 100+ like Louisville in 2012 or 28 at the start of Lake Tahoe.

Love Madison.

• Options
    First long ride of the IMWI block. Riding in the mid 60s sure is a heck of a lot different than what Coeur d'Alene served up 2 weeks ago! Rode 4 hours- 70 miles, didn't focus on power or anything, just wanted to get back into it. Definitely still have fatigue in my legs! I was going to run later but I think resting might be the smarter thing. Goal of this training block is to be real consistent with the bike workouts, work the weakness!