Home General Training Discussions
Options

Footpod for a 305

Sometimes the easiest way for me to squeeze a training run (esp in the winter) in is on a treadmill.  I'm stuck @ a fire station for 24 hrs at a time and do some moonlight jobs but I still generally can access the treadmill and my computrainer (I still get to train @ work which is awesome).  What do you guys think of the footpod?  I use WKO+ sometimes with my 305, I do track all rides on there though.  

Do you think the cost is worth it?

Do you track all your runs in wko+?  Is this something I should get in the habit of?  

Please either sell me on the footpod or tell me it isn't worth the time and money.

Comments

• Options

Mine works great,  almost everything I have read here in the past is positive.  The foot pod alows you to record all you runs on wko both indoors and out and another benefit is you can watch your running cadence.  Anyway I think it is well worth it.

• Options
    It was well worth it to me last year as I am a data geek and like to have all of my workouts in WKO. Plus if you don't put all your workouts in it defeats the purpose of the PMC charts.

As an added bonus the footpod will keep track of your cadence and likely help to improve your running form if you focus on keeping your cadence at 90 or higher for the entire workout.

If you don't care about size you can pick up one of the older models pretty cheap. I got mine for $40 last year on amazon. The new ones are much smaller but cost closer to $90.

Basically, if you are going to use it for every workout and use WKO to track your workouts I think it is well worth it.
  • Options

I wondered why the wide price range, I'll get one.  I could care less about the size.  I look like a baby giraffe when I run, I don't know if there is any helping that....we'll see

• Options
    I have a forerunner 50, which uses the same footpod as the 305 and have been quite happy with it. I used it outside compared to a gps and the pacing was within a couple seconds of the pacing on my gps - the distance was pretty much spot on. The automatic upload of the garmin to the computer is the key feature that pulled me in. I find that whilst I prefer running outside regardless of the weather, I've found myself indoors at a track more to take advantage of day care during the workout. I think I spent about $70 for the forerunner 50 with the hr strap and footpod (brand new off ebay) - best $70 I've spent yet on tri gear.
  • Options
    I ordered mine via REI.com, had it shipped to my local store. I should have it today or tomorrow. $99 + tax (no shipping if they ship to your local store).

When I was at the Rock n roll marathon expo in San Antonio, they actually had a Garmin booth with the footpods there for $99 (no tax, no shipping).
  • Options

+1 on what Matt said.

I think that the other advantage to the newer, smaller pod is that it easily clips off your laces and moves to another pair of shoes.  IIRC, the older one has to be laced into the shoe, making switching between pairs more difficult.

Just got the new one about 2 weeks ago, doing most of my running on the treadmill.  Had to go out and do the calibration, but once calibrated, I absolutely love it.

Mike

• Options
    Since I haven't received mine yet, what is this calibration you're talking about?
  • Options

Simple procedure.  See reference here

www8.garmin.com/manuals/Forerunner3...eGuide.pdf

Just need a measured length, either 800m or 1/2 mile.

Mike