Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Wk 20/0 - The One Thing

Race week!  We have made it!

What a huge journey just to make it to Week 20!

Every time I race, I remind myself why I do these things.  That is usually an internal discussion that takes place right after the "What the hell was I thinking when I signed up for this?" question begins to occupy my mind.  I have several reasons, most of which I will not bore you guys with.

One of my effective One Things has always been leading by example in front of my kids (1 girl, 3 boys)  Race day is no exception and when things get dark and rough, I will pull that card out and remind myself that there are young people watching which are very impressionable.  I have several others, and sometimes, I need them all on the back half of that marathon.

Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!

Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.

Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

1. Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.
  2. Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Comments

• Options
    Shaughn, thanks for leading us, you've been a great race captain!
    I've really enjoyed all the positive messages and kudos you've given along the way
  • Options
    Shaughn - Thanks for creating huge positive mojo and leading the way with crazy volume to chase on Strava, Looking forward to seeing you in LP and knowing that if I can hold on and be near you as I was in the finish of AZ, I have accomplished much!

everyone else - is there anyone who is driving up from or passing through the NYC area (Westchester & Rockland) on Thursday night or Friday? Looking to get a ride for my GF up only, no bike, just her and a small bag...
  • Options
    @Scott- I will be leaving NYC at about 6am (goal is 5:30am, but experience has shown me that it will be 6am by the time I am on the road) on Friday... Happy to pick her up on the way. We can connect offline and work out the details...
  • Options
    x3 for the outstanding leadership as Team Captain. From the strong support and camaraderie, to non-stop examples of how to get it done, and ever present cheer leading here on the boards and on Strava. Kudos to you for your leadership skills, time, and effort to pull us together. Well done Shaughn!

Will swim today, likely at the pool (less admin time) and hope to get some easy running in either today or tomorrow. The rest of my time (not occupied by work and mom) will be trying to get organized and packed.

Will be leaving for LP on Wednesday AM to arrive late afternoon. My condo is at mile 1 of the bike/run course behind the Hostel and the florist shop. Carole will be there taking pictures of any EN kits she sees on race day.

Seems that many, including myself will be riding the climb out of LP and descent into Keene. We should try to get a group together for that. I originally planned to do my ride on Thursday morning after getting registered around 10 or so but would be happy to change that if we could get something organized.

Friday AM we should also plan a group swim. 7:30ish maybe. Thoughts?
  • Options

Guys, thank you, it means a lot and it is very little to give for what I get back in return by participating on this team of incredible individuals.

My plans this week are tight.

I have board meetings Tues and Wed all day - which means there are a string of stressful days leading up to tomorrow Tues (the normal quarterly cycle I go through in my role).  Originally it was planned for those to be in Manhattan but that subsequently changed to Dallas.

So, I am flying out of DFW Thursday morning through DC to Burlington VT and will arrive in Placid sometime during your team dinner - hopefully before it has ended.

I'll look for the early Fri morning swim group and I may go for a spin before Bike check in Friday if possible.

I am eating spaghetti dinner with Ed Croucher and family Friday evening.

Be smart this week and remember - extra points for rest and staying off your feet while focusing / visualizing race execution!

SS

• Options

All, a reminder to  invite friends, athletes and strangers to IMLP 4Keys talk. You can post on your Facebook wall and groups, twitter, word of mouth etc...........

Here is the link:

http://the4keysoflakeplacid2015.splashthat.com

Remember its free!

We are having a Thank Goodness Im not Racing event for volunteers and athletes coming up to register for next year- need to blast this out too:

https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/f...2015-rsvp/

Also, both are on Facebook to share with more information. Both events have sponsors with free swag!

• Options
    @SS - x4 on the outstanding leadership as team captain. I looked up the definition of race captain and wasn't surprised to see your picture. Thanks for all the support and guidance. Looking forward to meeting you in person. Be sure to manage your hectic week and don't let the stress build up.
  • Options
    Hello all. Apologies for the lack of activity on the forums, but I've been training alongside of you and am grateful for the team mojo. This hasn't been an ideal IM build (this will be #5 and #1 at IMLP), but I'm pleased with where I've ended up and realize that life (especially the IM life) is a series of compromises. Very excited for race week and to put my fitness to the test on Sunday.

@ SS -- you do an amazing job as Race Captain. this is my second IM in a row with you as Captain after IMTX '14. Need to find out what you're doing next year, so I can follow you!

My plans this week outside of work commitments are as follows:

1. Easy swim this morning; 1600m per the plan -- DONE; start the packing process and review master checklist

2. Easy run & bike tomorrow; finish packing

3. Easy run on Wednesday

4. Leave for LP on Thursday morning; should get there by 2pm; would love to join a group ride on Thursday afternoon; Gonzalo and family arrive on Thursday evening/night; we are all staying together at Saranac Lake for the weekend

5. Friday am; EN group swim -- 730am works fine for me

6. Saturday; bike check-in; my family arrives (they need to stay back in NJ for an event on Friday night); chill out the rest of the day
  • Options
    Hello Everyone - as Mike says, big apologies... but I've been training every step of the way with you and thanks to your mojo! Events like 3 hours on the treadmill 10p-1am in Shenzen, China, and 5 hours on the Life Fitness bike in Narita, Japan wouldn't have happened without your support.

@SS - thank you so much for all the guidance, energy, and support. I have no idea how you can fit it all in, but I'm grateful.

I'm really excited for the race, but won't be able to put a face behind the names, I guess, until race morning photo…my wife and I don't arrive in Albany til 11:30am Friday and then drive up to check-in. If anyone is going to opening ceremony Fri night at 7pm, I'll be there. (I entered via there charity program and they are speaking at the ceremony - orange t-shirts) - would love to say hello.

Well, have managed to stay healthy through training with only some minor knee aches that Al unknowingly calmed through and a couple of blisters here and there. Hardly feel up to the level of an aero helmet, but I bit the bullet anywayimage…hoping the golf ball technology will get me closer to 12 hours than 13!

Proud to be a part of this effort and associated with all of you.

Easy swim today in my wetsuit, and then follow the training plan the rest of the weekimage C u all there.

• Options
    Not sure about anyone else but I am having a very difficult time getting anything done at work today...... I wonder why????

Swim done. 2x1200 @ 1:39 & 1:43 respectively.

Back to pretending to work.....
  • Options
    I'm with Steve. . . not much work, getting last minute admin. done.

Tues: Leave at 5 pm for the first half of the drive - goal: Buffalo, NY
    Wed: Arrive LP and get checked-in lodging/ settled in. Hope to arrive by 1pm.
    Thurs: IMLP check-in, pick-up rented race wheels, maybe the ride (I think the idea of a group ride is excellent), Team dinner.
    Friday: Group swim 4 Keys talk. Relax and enjoy LP.
    Saturday: Eat, rest, relax, try to remain calm, get things staged and ready to roll
    Sunday: Swim, Bike, Run. After that, drink, eat, more drinking and eating - then sleep.
    Monday: Relax, drink, eat and enjoy a much deserved day off.
    Tues: drive home. Damn. Party is over.
  • Options

SS another thanks for the leadership on this run in to LP 2015. 

I still have my one thing and perhaps have found a second.  This race is for me.  I've done a lot of things over the past 5 years and never really committed to getting to the finish line.  I was always chasing some time in my head or I should be faster or I don't want another slow IM finish.  This one is for me and it's all about getting to the finish line.  I know it's not going to be fast and it's going to hurt as my longest run has been just over 1 hour but that doesn't matter.  I have a couple others as well with my mom being one of them, see below.

I've now have to complete a written test for a promotion and get my head on straight for the race.  I was totally distracted this weekend as I found out my mother has to have a kidney removed (cancer).  For those with experience please see the thread below as I have a few questions.

http://members.endurancenation.us/F...fault.aspx

• Options
    Marketing Director here! Cant wait to see you all there. I will be on site to take pictures, assist your families, Live promoting the event on social media, cheer you on and promote the ever living mess out of EN. I can not WAIT to see you all that I haven't seen in a long time and finally meet those of you I haven't had the pleasure to meet yet. See you in GroupMe, at the team dinner, at Thank Goodness I'm Not Racing, 4Keys of Lake Placid, the race itself AND awards! If I can help in any way send me a message, drop me a line or a smoke signal. HUGE round of applause for your fantastic Race Captain ---- Is he not the best ever?

• Options
    And a big round of Applesauce for Mariah too!

After having SS @ IMTX last year , I was very excited to have him as our Captain , Leader ,Cheerleader and virtual training partner... Every time I had even a few seconds of weakness creep into my thoughts during a WKO I shook it off knowing SS would be looking at it on STRAVA and I couldn't show any weakness.... He did not disappoint ! Will follow him into battle on Sunday !

New Chain installed, bike cleaned, 90 min ride, read Race Plans, making lists..... Pack in the AM and drive to IMLP!
  • Options

Hello from the (small) IMC group!  Since we're starting 3 hours later than you guys, we expect to feel some transcontinental mojo during our run, as you will be finished.  In return, we will send some mojo while you guys swim/start the bike (once we've got all our crap ready to go!).  

• Options
    @Jeff thanks for the mojo.  Any one finishing IMC in the  sub 12 and possibly in the 12-13 hour range could finish before me and I'd get mojo on both sides. 
  • Options

@JL - looking forward to your post race report!  Thx for the well wishes to the IMLP team!  HUGE group of individuals here.

All, refining my One Things over and over today, reading race reports, getting just damn excited!

SS

• Options
    Really dumb Q - are we supposed to send bios & pics somewhere for Brenda to put out the team list?
  • Options
    @scott - You should have gotten an email about this but we no longer do "Meet the Team" (and if we did you would have needed to send that weeks ago) It was getting scarce and not affective. Now we are doing "Race Weekend Spotlights" after the fact we will post pictures, results etc on a blog- Read the dashboard for details but if you want your info on the race recap post to social media, the dashboard, the race results tab or email me and I will add it .... See you in a couple days!
  • Options

@Mariah - guess it helps if I READ those emails

#en4keys

• Options

Hey all - Looking forward to recreating the online mojo oncourse

just a note on the run course, if you go to Hi 5 me, I probably won't comply, left arm is still not great and has been flaring up since the big swim build of the last few weeks, not to mention that the aerobar angle sucks for it too, but I'll smile, grimace or just ignore you because I may be in the hurt locker for a bit... but the sentiment IS appreciated!!
  • Options
    Almost ready to leave. Should be in town by 5-6 PM today. Can't wait!

..... from my race plan:

Go Big, or Go Home!
    Run like you mean it!
    Keep racing.... no matter what the clock says.....
    This is not what pain feels like....
    As long as I am still trying … it’s possible.
    As long as I don’t give up hope … it’s possible.
    As long as I don’t give in to failure … it’s possible.
    It’s possible and I am determined to succeed!
  • Options
    What a great team to be part of! Thanks, Shaughn, for all the excellent leadership, and I look forward to meeting those of you here who were not at camp and seeing again those who were. We're driving from Texas by way of Niagara Falls, and plan to see you Thursday afternoon. My race plan (First full IM) is posted here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19232/Default.aspx
    I wouldn't have a chance of finishing this race without the mojo and info so many of you have shared. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to get a good night's sleep in the midst of the anticipation.
  • Options
    Here's my One Thing, a fundraiser for research and patient care for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation. IPF (the pulmonary fibrosis with no known cause) has haunted my family tree for generations and killed my father and several friends, so I'm doing a little something to fight back: https://www.crowdrise.com/BreatheandLive
  • Options
    This is very close to my heart. I lost my mother 3 years to IPF. Just 8 weeks before my first Ironman which was also in Lake Placid. I made a promise to my mother that if I ever took up a cause it would be to raise awareness for IPF. I would love to show you my support by making a donation to your cause. Keep up that fight. All the very best to you on race day. I just know your father will be with you every single step of the way.
  • Options

Spectator Map- To help my friends and family with their triathlon (Watch-Wait-Cheer) I made up a map last year of the in-town section of the course. That enabled them to navigate around the various barriers and crosswalks and for us to agree in advance on locations/times where we could see each other.  

I have posted the map to the EN IMLP 2015 Race Day photo album at https://teamen.smugmug.com/Races/2015-Ironman-Lake-Placid/ (and/or attached to this message)

The map on it's own looks complex, especially for those who have not seen the location. By Saturday most of the barriers are up so that's when I walk my crew around to match the map to reality.  I'll bring printed copies to the Thur dinner for anyone that would like a copy.

• Options
    This is fantastic! Thank you so much Bill!
  • Options
    @SS - Great work as Team Captain Even though I am not racing with you, your motivation and encouragement have been invaluable, especially during my bouts with injury.

Have a great race all and I look forward to following everyone's accomplishments this weekend.