Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Ville Mojo Thread- Week 9, 20-26 July

Start of a new week.  Solid workouts and chatter last week.  Let's keep that momentum building.  I know it helps me knowing that you guys are out there putting deposits in the fitness bank.  It motivates me to saddle up and make money of my own.  

Good luck and let's hear about it everyone!

Comments

• Options

This week I have a B race of the Toughman Minnesota Half in Chisago City.   It will be good to see where I am with some intensity.  I'm only following this week's plan through Wednesday.  It would be good for me to do the sweat test at the end of the week sometime soon.  I need to learn how much I sweat.  I just  ordered a new scale that is digital and shows ounces and plan to do just that test soon.

• Options
    @Stephan good luck.

Well after battling all week with what I thought were allergy/sinus issues, turns out I have strep. :| On antibiotics now. Not that training had been going great but having lost a whole week, I am trying to calm my anxiety that this week will be lighter. The NP said I could do stuff if I felt up to it. I can start to swim again Wednesday since I should no longer be contagious, but that is assuming the sinus stuff gets better. Hope everyone has a good week.

I did do three loops of the midnight 25K race this saturday, not smart in hindsight to attempt it at all. The first two loops felt okay, ran easy @10 mm pace, but stomach issues and coughing fits meant the third loop was just walking and I'd promised myself I'd be smart about it and bailed out after that. No regrets I had friends from out of state staying with me who were running, cheered them on and had a fun weekend overall.
  • Options

I have a half, Route 66 in Springfield IL this weekend, should be a good test of training and ability to handle the heat.  Did have a fall on the bike yesterday, note to self re riding in the rain.  Nothing broken, just a new lack of skin on the left side of body!  Guess that's why they call it an Ironman, huh!

• Options
    Good luck with your races Stephen and Alan, tough break with the strep Anu. Make sure you recover well.

Got in the interval run per plan. 5 miles and some change with 2x 0.5 and 1x1 at TP. Hoping the afternoon weather breaks so I can hop into the pool. Lots of liquid sunshine in the forecast this week.

Keep on it everyone and keep those posts coming.
  • Options
    Score. Hole in the rain. 2.5k done mostly as 100's & 200's. Off script in the pool until I build up a little endurance.
  • Options

@Alan, you are a tough one.  I am such a baby plus I never just fall and get up.  I break ribs, get large hematomas, etc...  I watch those riders o the Tour get up after those horrible crashes and keep moving forward with awe.   I'm glad you weren't hurt too bad.Losing skin can be painful.  Good luck this weekend.  Hope it is not too hot for us.  That is one of the reasons I signed up for Louisville in Oct.  I don't do well running in the really hot temps. 

BTW, I am still tired from the big day Saturday.  That took more out of me than I thought it would. 

• Options
    Today I jumped into the IM plan! Over the weekend, I had a last fun 90 mile ride (6K feet of climbing) with a friend. It was a great ride, but with the 105 temps, I was completely wiped out and decided to take yesterday off. Given some family commitments, I have had to hack the plan a bit until the kids go back to school. Basically I will be a day behind everyone…bike will be S,M &W, Run T,W, long on Fri, Swim on T,W&Sat…Ive had to do this in the past and its worked out.

Today was run/swim day and the 5 miles on the treadmill (with 8' @ 3%incline) was fun image. Got into the pool a few hours later for the 3K meter speed work wko. My swim times are coming along, was able to finally swim a 1:35/100m pace a few times! Not sure I will see the same results tomorrow when I have to repeat the wko but we will see.

Good luck to you guys racing this weekend! Anu, hope you feel better soon!!!
  • Options
    In week bike ride done. 8/12 @ FTP and 3x4 minutes at 110%. Had to dial up some loud music, but it felt good to do some work. I'll have to hack this week as well as I have to be at work for the next 24 hour straight with no sleep. Going to get the long run in either Thursday night or Friday morning, depending on how I feel.

Keep on it everyone! Good to see the mojo building.
  • Options
    @Alan hope all the lost skin regenerates soon. Road rash is the worst, but glad no broken bones
    @Danielle, LOL that running at incline is fun, know what you mean though.
    @Roy 24 hrs non stop? Yikes. Be sure to catch up on sleep.

No update here, being good. But hopefully start to do some easy stuff tomorrow.
  • Options

Can't wait to meet you all at the race.  Thanks for the updates.  It motivates me.

Swimming:  well, I did both of the prescribed swimming (minus the optional workout, and eliminating one of the last reps of 300, 400).  I had only been swimming  1-2x a week at much lower volume @2200.   So these swims in the 3000+ range were a bit too much for me.  Got in 2650 monday, and 3000, yesterday.  Shoulders feel sore.  I was happy though, my last set of 100s, I hit 1:35/100 on the final all out sprint.   I don't think I have ever gone that fast before.  Those 25 sprint/75 easy,  50 sprint/50 easy, etc... workouts are hard but fun.

• Options
    Got a little sleep after work, then hit a 2k swim. Will get the long run in on Friday morning. Found out that we have a typhoon coming this weekend, which kills yet another weekend of outdoor riding for me. I'm going to have to find me some mojo somewhere, because my fun meter usually pegs at about 2 hours on the trainer.

Keep on it everyone!
  • Options

I'm halfway through my first week in the IM plan and I'm tired. 2 swims so far this week for 5200 yds. Added an hour on the bike Monday afternoon because I missed the past weekend while working. 3 runs so far this week for 19 miles. Had to limit the long run today to 65 minutes so I could get to get to work. Have 2 rides with TrainerRoad so far and hope to get the long rides in this weekend. Yesterday's FTP work was ok at FTP but I crashed and burned after the first 110% interval. Just couldn't motivate to do the final 2 intervals. Need to work on the mental aspect of that. Keep on keepin on!

On a positive note, I think I've figured out how to add my workouts to Strava.  Now I can keep track of things over there.  

• Options
    Busting my butt on the 3rd week of my build before a 'slightly' easier week starting Monday. I'm taking the wife away Fri/Sat night for our 20th anniversary which required yet another hack to my EN plan so this morning started early with a 3hr 5min trainer ride to Spinervals "On the Limit". TSS = 206. What a hammerfest that was. I will be back on the bike late Sunday afternoon for another 4 hour drainer ride.
  • Options
    2 stories today:

Short version - 10 miles, good run, focused on heat management (78 degrees and 100% humidity out the door at 0430) and heart rate. Long runs have nothing to do with pace for me right now as I try to run without blowing up.

Long version - As I stared at the pile of crap that i as a 'triathlete' think I have to have for a long run (yeah, does 10 miles count as a long run????), I felt like a Nascar driver.

Commentator: So Roy, you looked good out there, how did you feel?

Me: Well, you know Bob, those Mizuno Wave Rider 17's felt totally dialed in today. Cruising along with my RoadID providing peace of mind, I was really able to focus on that HR provided by my Mio Link displayed on my Garmin 910xt, which let me know how my engine was doing. My Nathan Fuel belt pit crew really helped keep those fuel and fluid levels high, and near the end, when it started feeling shakey, I was able to reach down to that Apple iPod Shuffle to provide that extra musical push to the end. All in all, those UnderArmor shorts and cool wick socks paired with the sleeveless Nike Run top capped off a perfect day. I just want to thank my sponsor, Chocolate Milk who got my recovery jump started after it was all over.

Anywho, TGIF everyone and keep that work going!
  • Options
    These last 2 posts deserve comments and kudos!

Paul - you are the king of the drainer rides. Wish I could do it.  And Happy Anniversary!

Roy - I thought my morning was bad at 73 degrees and 100% humidity. But then again I don't the same level of sponsor support you have. I think I need to ask my manager for a few more sponsorships.
  • Options
    @Paul - Going to have to channel some 'you' this weekend as I'm trapped indoors by the latest typhoon to hit the island. Why do they always come on the weekend??? x2 on the Happy Anniversary.

@Jay - I actually was pretty happy, usually its in the mid 80's when I roll out for my morning run. Today felt downright glorious, still sopping wet shirt when I was done, but it was better.

Got in a quick 1700 SCM swim in at lunch. They were packing all the furniture up prepping for the storm, asked them to hold off putting away the pool clock til I was done. image

• Options
    @ Roy. You should turn pro...you've got their race report lingo dialed in!
  • Options
    Today's 3.5 hour trainer ride was brought to you courtesy of Typhoon Halola, which is turning out to be a non-event. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop me from being on lock-down. First two hours Conan (the original), next hour and a half Maze Runner. The trick is to find something where following the plot is not absolutely necessary. Warm-up and then 6x25 minutes at 75%. Last one was an exercise in "don't stop pedaling because you are almost done." Fun times.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about Halola interfering your ride Roy. We were fortunate here in the south. Temps in upper 60s with humidity in 80s. Great morning for a long ride. Did about 3 hours trying to hold Zone 2. Really nice ride for me. Also learned something new today. Practiced hydration with GEF and tried to pee on bike. Went well. Then I noticed my foot felt funny. Realized I was wearing my road shoes. No drainage. Uh Oh! I'm peddling in puddle of pee. Love this sport!

Good luck tomorrow Stephan!
  • Options

Nice  job on the trainer ride Roy. I've done upto four hours and it is hard.

After taking this week off, I did a ride today, bike rally, I was planning to do the 70 mile ride, but at mile 50 I  had some weird creaky sound that

got worse, and so I bailed at 57 miles,  I did not want to mess the bike. The roaming bike techs couldn't quite figure it out. One thought it may be the bearing on the bottom bracket. Anyway planning to go to the bike shop tomorrow. I rode it at super low intensity, don't want to stress my body, could feel the effects of the antibiotics but overall was pretty happy, lots of hills on the course.

Will likely do the OWS session with my local tri team and ride again tomorrow

good luck Stephan. 

• Options
    Great job everyone! I did Barb's Race today (70.3). Final time was 7:01:37. That's 40 minutes faster than last year, so I'll take it. Tomorrow I have to drive for a few hours to visit some family. Then Monday I'll be in the car for another 8 hours to get home. Will get back to training on Tuesday -- and I'll finally get to load up the IM plan. Yay!
  • Options
    @Jay - Nice work training like you plan to race.  If you were really committed, you would practice that on the trainer

@Anu - Solid re-entry into training.  Probably a smart call to get the bike checked out.

@Jennifer - Totally AWESOME job at Barb's!  40 minutes is no joke.  Work Works.

Had myself a big ol' piece of humble pie today.  First outdoor ride in weeks and I spent the first hour chasing down everyone on the horizon.  Then I promptly exploded.  Ended up pedaling squares for the last 45 minutes of the ride and called it a day with 2:12.  Checked yahoo wx on my phone when I was done and saw the attachment below.  Lesson learned - ride the plan as the plan says and respect the heat.

• Options
    @Jennifer that is awesome. 40 minutes wow! Congrats.
    @Roy, yes heat with that much humidity is really rough. Seems smart to call it a day, one thing I learnt over the years in TX is to respect the heat.
  • Options

Good work all!  Thanks for your leadership Roy!

Did Route 66 Half yesterday.  My main concern was the swim, as I hurt my wrist on the recent bike fall and had not swam in 2 weeks.  Was cautious on swim and somehow was slightly faster than last year.  Bike started great, but after 1 hour it started raining.  I slowed down a fair amount, as the bike fall was in the rain and it was still on my mind (wimp).  Got off the bike feeling great and ran well until the heat came up.  Was faster than last year by maybe 1 minute (jealous of Jennifer's 40, great job) Overall happy with race and training to this point. 

• Options
    With the utmost willpower, I got on my bike at 4:15pm today and commenced a 4hr 5min trainer ride. Mission complete - my first 3 week build is done. Here's the last 3 weeks (100% of my biking the last 2 weeks was on the drainer).

Wk 1 - Swim 9500 yards, Bike 161 miles, Run 32 miles, 2 weight sessions @ 30-35 mins each
    Wk 2 - Swim 11,500 yards, Bike 174 miles, Run 35 miles, 2 weight sessions @ 30-35 mins each
    Wk 3 - Swim 10,200 yards, Bike 173 miles, Run 40 miles, 2 weight sessions @ 30-35 mins each

I'm backing off this coming week to absorb the work and to race an Oly on Saturday. Then I start the next 3 week build.
  • Options
    @Alan, great work, especially considering the healing your body is going through right now.

@Paul, solid 3 week block of work. Scary drainer numbers, that's some serious mental mojo.