Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

IMWI Week 14 Training- Yell it from the rooftops!

Hmmm, seems we've been a quiet group, time to shake it up!  Let's hear about week 14 training.  I think lots of folks are going to camp this weekend.  Sadly, I have to work on Friday and Sunday so I can't officially join you all.  I am planning to go up to Madison Friday night and do my first RR on the course Saturday, so good chance we'll see each other out there.  

I had a great weekend of training and then took yesterday as an unplanned rest day due to getting caught at work too long and the pool closing.  Plan to run at  lunch and swim tonight.  

Share the good, the bad, and the ugly!  

Comments

• Options
    Hey Rachel…thanks for the knee in the back…accountability is key!!

Did you mean week 14 (this week) or week 13 (last week)?

My week 13 was good although it sort of blended with week 12 since I started a family vacation in Michigan on the Friday of week 12 that featured 5 long bike rides over the next 6 days covering 20 hours of biking and ~425 miles in total. For me this was pretty epic although I'm sure many on the IM-experienced would snicker! See this link where I went into quite a bit of detail about the biking adventures (http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19247/Default.aspx).

Due to the biking the rest of the workouts in week 13 were pretty sparse. After the biking was all done on Thursday I managed to get in runs of 10.6 miles and 15.4 miles on Friday and Sunday, respectively, and a 3000yd swim on Saturday.

As for this week, #14, yes, getting ready for the camp…although not how I originally expected since I was unexpectedly called away on a business trip to Europe requiring me to fly out on Sunday night right after my vacation ended. Upon landing yesterday I managed to get in an open-water swim of 3000m in London's Hyde Park, followed by a 54' run around the park's perimeter (2 circuits). Today I am targeting a 45' run (which would make for 35 miles in 3 consecutive run days, and 45 miles in 5 days) but depends on when I get out of the office…it's looking around 50/50 likelihood at the moment. Tomorrow I will attempt to get in a 4000 yd swim before heading to Madison a day early on Thursday to kick off 3 days of riding targeting 300 miles total (plus Sunday swim/run).

Cheers!
  • Options
    Yes! So happy to see this thread again!

I had most of last week off from work, I headed up to a family cabin in northern Wisconsin and made a pit stop in Madison to ride the course. I got one loop done before a guy hollered at me "You better wrap it up, there's a tornado just south of town!" Quickly made the decision to call it a day. I got a lot of good riding and open water swimming done up at the cabin, and lots of family giving me quizzical looks . My biggest weekend yet at 153 miles, and a couple 26 milers into town & back throughout the week. 3x OWS around our bay of the lake that ended up being about 1.5 miles each. My running mileage was low last week - 14 miles total - boo. I just didn't make it a priority unfortunately, but this hasn't been a trend so I'm thinking it was just one off week and I'm back at it this week.

Also! I finally put some aero bars on my road bike last week so I've been learning to get used to them. I have a bike fit later this week. Feeling a little more like a real triathlete!

I skipped yesterday's swim work out and enjoyed a rest day. I need an ass kicking to get myself to the pool on Monday's, it's always the hardest workout for me to get motivated for.

Tonight the Chicago Triathlon is putting on an OWS (1500m) & Run (5k) at one of the beaches here in Chicago that I am going to attend. I am going to try to get out of work early so that I can extend the swim a bit.

@Rachel - I can't attend the full camp either. Asked Rich about attending for Saturday & Sunday, but if that doesn't work out I still plan on making the trip up so we should try to meet up again image

@Matt - Those are epic bike numbers!! Nice job!

@All - We're in week 14, but it's camp week (week 15 in the plan). So, what's everyone doing next week? Or am I missing something here?
  • Options
    Last week I did hybrid get faster and IM week 13. I did a 4hour ride last Saturday with 2x20 FTP and 4 x 2 VO2 then ABP which went well. Sunday OWS and then 3 hour ABP did not go well. High winds in my face all the time. Last week I did a split long run with 9 Wednesday night and 11 Thursday AM. I am currently trying to plan my next month with the mid week long run being the stickler. Also the taper a day or to before my "camp" week in week 16 and recovery after is also giving me a headache.
    I am trying to worry about just the workouts now and delay my questions about the course and issues like riding or driving the bike course during race week.
  • Options
    Glad to see this thread as well!

For a variety of life reasons, I had a bit of a break in May/June between FL 70.3 and starting my IMWI training. The last 4 weeks has been decent and looking forward to testing/proving a few things in the home stretch.

The Good
    - Finally up into the "teen" hrs last week (13 total:~1 S, 8.5 B, 3.5 R), after only managing 9-10 in the weeks prior.
    - Did a successful "big day" 2 weeks ago w/ 3k yd Swim, 80mi Bike, and 7.5mi Run at a strong pace.
    - Feeling strong on my runs and especially in the heat, which has been a challenge in the past.

The Bad
    - Long Bike & Run only at 80mi and 11mi respectively, so want to ramp those carefully in the next few weeks. Planning ~100mi & ~60mi rides this weekend, and likely 13mi Run on Thursday.
    - Still need to refine/prove my nutrition plan. I know I need 2bottles/hr (48oz) on the bike in the heat, but haven't always managed to get that in, and on my "big day" ended the 7.5mi run down ~5lbs. That could spell trouble if I don't get on top of it by race day.

The Ugly
    - Swimming still rough. Did 1:21 last time in WI and would be more than fine with that again. Struggling to maintain 2:00/100yd's at the moment, and FL 70.3 split was ~50min (although weird M shaped course and no wetsuit so perhaps an anomoly).
  • Options
    I had a great week of training. I have ramped things up the past few weeks now that our baby is 1 month old, after 8 weeks of bare training. I put in 10,000 yards swimming, 6 hours on the bike, and 40 miles running.

Swim: My swim is looking great all things considered. My collarbone is finally healed and I have wrapped up PT. I have been doing the Mike 9 step approach with pink mist (Not quite ready for Red Mist) on Wednesdays and slowly lowering my metronome. I am now ticking every 25.5 which equates to starting at a 1:42 pace and descending from there. Last week I did a 1 hour swim TT to see where I am at and I averaged 1:43 which puts me on target for a swim of 1:12-1:13, which for me would be a huge PR! (1:23 at IMCDA last year).

Bike: I have built up to 3 hour ABP rides on the weekends. I have now done this two weekends in a row and did 212NP followed by 214NP which is a great place for me to be! I was going to target 214NP for St. George 70.3, but expecting to be on the bike about 2:30-2:40. My HR on these have been well within reason, in fact lower than my very first 70.3 where I had a good run.

Run: I have been doing split long runs, the last of which was this past Sunday with a 10/10 split. This week I plan to do an 18 miler and again target 40 miles for the week. It has been quite hot and humid around here the past few weeks so running has been tough, but it finally got a bit better and I was able to finally nail that last split run which is a nice confidence booster going into the next few weeks of longer runs.

The plan is to have two big weekends in August. I am going to do back to back 5 hour rides on one weekend, and then 2 weeks later I will do a big bike week of 300 miles over 4 days, otherwise I am going to stick with my current volume. We will see how this all works out, my TSB is at -45 right now!

Great to here from everyone else and I am excited to meet you all! I am bringing quite the entourage to Madison, Wife, 2 kids, and my Parents!
  • Options
    I haven't checked in here before... I've been totally "off plan" this yr with all of our life changes. Have been trying a minimalist approach to IM training, but fortunately still have a ton of miles in my legs from last yr. Still doing almost all of my training around my commute makes a bit of an adventure...

Swim: I did my first training swim since last November this weekend before my bike ride. Was great to get in OW.
    Bike: I tagged on to a group ride Wednesday night (at the end of my commute) and somebody said "So YOU are the maniac on the fat bike we've been hearing about"... Needless to say I was able to keep up with the group and they were all pretty surprised. Also did a 60mi loop near my house with my tongue hanging out trying to keep up with a buddy riding his P3.
    Run: had my biggest run week in a while logging ~38mi.

I won't be at camp, but will be excited to meet everyone during Race Week.

As a side note, I haven't actually gotten accommodations for the race weekend yet. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Loving the sharing! Haven't made it out for my run yet- my intern is very draining but will get it done!

@Matt- We can share how it's been going last week and before, but then let's keep this thread going for accountability across THIS week.

@Lindsay- very exciting with the aerobars and fit! Where are you doing the fit? My opinion on an abbreviated camp weekend for you would be to bike Sat and Sun, forget about the run on Sunday. As you know, the bike course is the tricky part, nothing tricky about the run. While you are up there, time would be best spent biking.

@JW- when I did IMWI in 2013, I stayed about 9 miles east of the action. Parking is pretty easy, so not a big deal. My mom was envious of the folks staying at the Monona Terrace Hilton and was sure to book it as soon as it opened this year. Lots of $$ but good convenience.
  • Options

Keepin' on keepin' on. Packing everything up for IMWI camp this weekend and flying out tomorrow so I can do a high quality RR-type ride on the course on Thursday before the camp officially starts. 

Last Week Milestones:

• Another 40+ mile week, one of many in a row. Pretty psyched about that. 

• Swim a 57:06 for 2.4, from 56:55 a couple weeks ago. Just lack of concentration. Swim is coming along but I'll probably need to hook up an ankle band for my pull sets and do swim cords on my non-swimming days. I think I need more resistance but I'm also planning to seriously ramp up my swim volume in the last 2-3wks. 

• Rode 4:51 for 112mi, at 225w Pnorm on Saturday. Week before was 4:49 @ 218-219w Pnorm. This was on a slightly different course but rides like this all about the wind, admin stuff, and how aggressive I want to be in some dicey spots on the bike path. Compare these numbers to 227w Pnorm I put up for a 4:18 century a few weeks ago. So my plan for this weekend on the WI course is (1) Thurs @ 219-223w Pnorm, with my Ninja VI hat on, as these are about my goal numbers for race day, (2) Fri and Sat riding hard, not caring so much about VI and benchmarking that 225-230 range. 

• Tweaked some nutrition stuff on my long ride: dialed down the GE, dialed up the water, gels, and Clifbloks. Basically, what I've learned is that I've got the calories and sodium covered, but it's much, much more important that I stay ahead on fluids = I'm stepping away from the straight GE-plan and going with a modular approach, as a combination of GE from the course + water + Roctane + salt tabs (if needed) + Clifbloks. On the long bike path rides I do, the temps increase by 15-20 degrees in the last 30 miles. It totally sucks but it really, really drives home the importance of hydrating early and just how much I had GE later in the day. This past Saturday I did a better job of staying on the hydration game all day, using more water vs GE, and I felt 100% better the last 30 miles. 

Yesterday I did a hilly 9+ mi run in the AM, bonked in my lunch swim, then rallied for a good ride in the hills in the evening. Put up an awesome PR on a segment I've been benchmarking for years. Diesel fitness + a good w/kg equation is definitely fun, though I'm not looking forward to having '15 Rich taunting me on Strava for years to come in the future...

• Options

Rachel - Thanks for starting the thread!

Reading all the posts makes me excited for all of you, you are all crushing it in your own way and being smart about what you are doing.

Love it!

• Options

John,

Last year I stayed at the Residence Inn Madison West/ Middleton. It was a very short drive and I had no trouble parking. It was nice to have a Suite. Call the hotel directly, they may have reservation that are not on the web yet...

-Mike

• Options
    Hi all and thanks for starting this Rachel! My training has been rounding into shape. I have been targeting three swims (one long and just get it done, one red mist, one pink mist). I am not sure if I will be able to keep with those three workouts as I dig a bigger fatigue hole, so we will see. I am starting at 23 now and that feels like I am pretty close to max. I am thinking of setting up the wetrenome for a set pace and use it on a straight swim and see how long I can hold it.

The bike is still my weak link, but I got in a century ride with NP near 200, so while I don't have as big an engine as some, it is what I have to work with. I am hoping with the camp this weekend I can get a little better at the application of those watts to the course.

The run has been good and bad. Good in that I am pretty steady right below 8 min miles, the bad is that it has turned surface of the sun hot here so I have started to use my "heat protocol (meaning go slower dummy!)" more than I would like. I have been splitting my long run and did 10 and 9 last Sunday. Going forward the long run split ends and it just becomes the long run.

I'm not antsy or wound up yet, but I can already tell it won't take a lot to get me there. Glad I was able to focus elsewhere for as long as I could this year!
  • Options
    @Scott You are a swimming machine! I did a 1 hour Swim TT and used the wetronome to pace myself. I used it more as a whip, and let myself go ahead of the beeps. I feel like I probably went faster than I would have because it didn't let me become lazy. I wonder what the general thoughts are on using a wetronome in a RR? I might try one with and one without as a test of my own internal pacing abilities.
  • Options
    Well, didn't get my swim in but just squeezed in a 6 mile run with my 2 Z4 miles both hitting 7:37. Happy that I could still hit the target with the warmer weather and humidity. Thank you IMCDA for making all weather under 100 degrees seem comfortable!
  • Options

Well my pre-camp workouts for week 14 are totally done.

I ran last night from my hotel on a lovely road in the English countryside, 40' @ around MP (6:43/mi)...https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/847588588

Then I got up this morning after 4 hours sleep and two of my clients took me open water swimming with their swim club. The water was beautiful although the last part of each loop of the swim coming east was tough due to bright sunlight right in the eyes. Overall 2624 yd at 1:43/100yd pace. I was shooting for ~4000 yd today but we didn't have time to do a third loop of the course...https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/847980174

Now off to my flight back home and onto Madison!!

• Options
    "Yesterday I did a hilly 9+ mi run in the AM, bonked in my lunch swim, then rallied for a good ride in the hills in the evening."

That is some hardcore training!!
  • Options
    Great work everyone! Aaronson, you are a beast. Rich, well... you do more work in a week than I do in a month. wow.   I had a great long ride this past weekend, with 4:37 time and 91.5 miles. 238NP with 7 x20min at low z3 work. I am happy with that. Race day NP will probably be down around 220w or so. I did a 32 min brick run at slow z1 pace, which I was ok with since no injuries during that run. My left knee popliteal tendon has been bugging me in brick runs after long bikes. My long run on Sunday was less than stellar. I did z1 for 60 mins, then had little in the tank for the ramp up for that last 65 mins. I did increase pace somewhat, but only half way to z2. The last couple of miles were close, but I'll take whatever the legs will give me.  I did a long swim on Tue and 46 min run this morning. Will swim again Thur morn then drive to Madison for the RALLY!!!  I'm looking forward to seeing the team and feeling the mojo.
  • Options
    Did the small Aquathlon put on my Chicago tri last night. It was good OWS practice for me as it was a bit crowded and those lake Michigan waves were rockin a little bit. Did the 1 mile swim + 5k in 1:11 which is solid for me. This morning I knocked out 2x15' + 4x3' bike intervals on the trainer and then proceeded to order chocolate milk, of all things, for the first time ever at Starbucks on my way into work. I am going to attempt a split long run tonight/tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    I just booked a "Non-Refundable" room at the Hyatt Place Madison Downtown. The Sh!t is getting real now!!!
  • Options
    Long run done- 14.16 mi in 2:05. First half was rough as I learned the lesson of "don't eat your weight in blueberries and cherries the night before a long run" but then my stomach settled and I had a stronger second half. Long runs are my favorite part of training- starting before sunrise when it's so tranquil, seeing the sun come up over the lake, and of course feeling like a badass the rest of the day!

Safe travels to camp for all of you lucky folks, learn a lot and have fun! I'll be out on the course riding and running on Saturday, I'm sure I'll see some of you!
  • Options
    RR swim #1 in the books tonight. I found a nice outdoor 50 meter pool to get the job done. 2450 meters in I was feeling good and happy that I finally had a lane to myself - only to have the lifeguard blow their whistle at me. I was the only person left in the entire pool because evidently they had called for a 15 minute "safety break". Grrr! Out of the pool and then back in 15 mins later to finish the final 1350. Done in 1:20:24, but would have been nice to see if that time would be much different without the break. next time!
  • Options

You must have been swimming @ Centennial Beach in Naperville... Love the 50 meter lanes, the safety break (while I understand) is frustrating sometimes. Glad you had an awesome swim!

• Options
    I hope everyone who went had a great camp weekend! I did 105 miles on the course yesterday and a 6 mile run. I still need to digest it a bit more to have any real thoughts on it. One thing I noted though is that IMCDA has made me invincible to the heat! I talked to a few people along the course who were complaining about how hot it was! I was just thinking to myself "oh child, you don't know heat". I had to work a full day at the hospital today, so gearing up now for a trainer ride.