Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

River Swimming

Do any of you practice river swimming?  I never do and I have never raced in a river.   This year I have done very little OWS at all keeping to the pool.   I have about 7 OWS sessions in this year and prefer to swim in the pool.  We do have a river near here and I wonder if it really makes any difference practicing in a river.  What do you do or think as you prepare for the Ohio River?

Comments

• Options
    My race a couple of weeks ago was in a river. It reminds me of lake swimming but with a current. The river I was in was small (and extremely shallow) compared to the Ohio, so I know the Ohio River will feel very different. Personally, I'm curious how strong the current is and I've also been wondering what the water temp will be like (wetsuits, no wetsuits). Would love to hear the Ohio river experiences of those who have raced there.

I'm like you Stephan - I prefer the pool. I'll probably do one or two OWS sessions before the race, but likely no more than that. [Just coordinating OWS sessions, can be a chore.]
  • Options
    I would have to believe that in mid-October the race will be be wetsuit legal. Which means it should be a relatively fast swim (think ~5-8 mins faster than a normal lake swim).

That is a great swim venue with the first ~1/3 up stream in a channel that is protected by a big island. The final ~2/3 is downstream on the river side of the island. It's easier than a lake swim as you can always see the shore. In the channel, you just stay ~10-15yds off the shoreline so you can see it every (or every other) time you breathe without actually needing to lift your head to sight. Once on the return leg, you will be moving faster but can keep about ~25yds away from the shoreline. You will see it every time you breathe to the left. Remember the farther out into the river you get, the current will be slightly faster, but this will also add some extra distance to your swim if you take it too wide.

I don't think you "need" to do river swimming before the race other than the practice swim on the Friday or Saturday morning of race week.
  • Options
    I have done a few swims in rivers and really enjoy the extra push from the current. It's a lot of fun to see the shore move by faster than you expect. As for practice, I don't do much open water practice. I believe swimming is swimming. The biggest difference is sighting. If you can swim straight and/or sight easily then you don't need much OW practice. However, if sighting is an issue then more practice would be beneficial. Crooked swimming can add distance. No point is swimming more than the required 2.4 if you don't have to.
  • Options
       I did Louisville last year, and it's not a difficult swim. Like JW said, you come out from behind Towhead Island and swim a few hundred yards  against the current, but once you make the turn buoy it's about 3000 yards with the current. I just swam long and smooth and was amazed how fast the buoys went by.
  • Options
    I almost always swim OW now. I recently moved and my pool is no longer a 5' drive. It's at least 20. I live on a lake now. I can also go about a mile from home and swim at a larger lake with a swim area of about .3 mile end to end. Just did 6 laps (2 miles) there yesterday. I like swimming in big water so if the winds are up race day, I've swum in worse and know I'll survive/thrive vs. my competition. There is a certain confidence that I get from it. I also am a bit of a sea snake so sighting and dealing with any current is critical for me to not over swim the distance. image
  • Options

Thanks for all of your replies.  I may hit the Black River here once in the next couple weeks, but I think my pool swimming is fine.  Much safer that way as well.  I'm actually looking forward to the swim now after reading your replies.