Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

Hills and Such

This weekend, I rode indoors watching the Spinervals review of the course.  Was hard to gage the hills, but I noticed them.  Much like what I have here in Wisconsin, although I think our hills get steeper and longer. 

Last two years I completed IM Wisconsin which has at least 6 good climbs.

For those of you that know the IM Wisconsin course, are there any hills on that course that are similar to what we will find at Louisville.  It seems like that out and back section has some climbing.

and such...bonus question:  my rear wheel cover just arrived.  I've never used one before.   How much should I practice on it before the race, and when should I put it on?  I've heard you shouldn't train with it much!?

Comments

• Options

Posted By Stephan Brunelle on 17 Aug 2015 10:22 AM

This weekend, I rode indoors watching the Spinervals review of the course.  Was hard to gage the hills, but I noticed them.  Much like what I have here in Wisconsin, although I think our hills get steeper and longer. 

Last two years I completed IM Wisconsin which has at least 6 good climbs.

For those of you that know the IM Wisconsin course, are there any hills on that course that are similar to what we will find at Louisville.  It seems like that out and back section has some climbing.

and such...bonus question:  my rear wheel cover just arrived.  I've never used one before.   How much should I practice on it before the race, and when should I put it on?  I've heard you shouldn't train with it much!?

There are no hills on the Lou course that are similar to the 3-5x "recognized" climbs at WI. Two hills on the out and back (you drop down a creek, cross it, climb up out of the low ground, ride down the road a few, flip it come back) are maybe 6% grade and about a half mile. Suggest you find the course on RidewithGPS.com and check out the elevation change/%grade/length yourself. 

If you've ridden and raced the IMWI course you really have nothing to worry about with at IMLou. It's just a bike ride without anything particularly crazy on it.