Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IM MD Week 14 / 20 - 7 to go

Happy Monday all!  Just listened to this week's video and panicked... it was about this weekend's Race Rehearsal, only... this week is not a Race Rehearsal!  Whew... I'm not sure what this weekend will bring for me, as my daughter is moving back into her college dorm in Dallas.  So far, hubby has move in duty (I moved her out last May.)  But, my mommy guilt is starting to sprout.   We'll see... if not, then more hours on the bike - 5 on Sat and only 1.5 on Sun - piece of cake!  Hoping my mid week long run is lots better than last week (which was cut short due to dang tummy issues after surprisingly picking up the pace as prescribed for miles 7 - 10.)

Nemo - take care of that knee!!

Sarah - how was the long trainer ride and work weekend?

Jim - nice AG1 and always, lessons learned!

Nate - c'mon... paintball, then long bike ride, you can do it!  just kidding... enjoy a non-tri Saturday!

Comments

• Options
    so my wonderful spouse tells me at dinner that paintball maybe cancelled because a few people cancelled. I just looked at her and said, "you're killing me" so looks like I may get to train this Saturday after all. Having to split up my bike and runs today and tomorrow because of a training class at work which ends this thursday. Not sure about the Thursday Long run...it would be like a 4am departure to get in the time. I had nearly committed to doing it on Friday knowing my "paintball Saturday" would allow me to recover before Sunday long bike. Now, i'm not so sure.

anyways, this will be something good for me to ponder as I attend my training class tomorrow and listen to the instructor talk about Government Contracts. image...

are we all getting ready for RR1. Time to start really thinking about what you are going to do for this day in terms of nutrition, bike pacing, and any new gear you are going to race in. Also make sure your big day is on your families calendar so they know you are going to be gone and then pretty much "tired" when you come back.
  • Options
    Nate- Oh boy, government contracts! FAR, DFAR, EVMS, oh the fun we could have!!!

Seriously though- totally agree with you about starting to think about that RR now even though it's not until next week. Time for us all to really get serious thinking about how we are gonna execute on race day so we can practice it.

Also- FWIW, I realized the "Camp Week" that is scheduled for next week is just one week before Labor Day and thus there might be an opportunity to move it to the following week to take advantage of a "free" day off work (vs using a vacation day for that Friday long ride). When I asked Coach Rich about it a few weeks ago in my Macro thread, here was his response (I'm sharing in case any of you might have similar thoughts/ideas):

- Do the wk15 camp schedule on the weekend of wk16

- However, for ^this^ wk16, I'd probably (1) the long run on Thurs, (2) Fri = RR swim and short run, (3) Sat and Sun are per wk15 Fri and Sat schedule, (4) Monday of wk17 = another long swim and run.

- In other words, while it's valuable to use the holiday weekend, doing the camp week as big stuff on Sat, Sun, Mon (especially long run Monday) starts bleeding ^that^ into the wk17 schedule, creating friction in wk17, etc. So doing the wk16 long run on Thurs vs wk17 Monday allows you to preserve the integrity of wk17
  • Options
    Okay, back in touch. I didn't end up doing the long ride last weekend. I decided that given that I have been pretty steady in my training since Jan. that I had accumulated enough "hay in the barn" to not stress about the ride, or the week for that matter. I also am having a lot of trouble with my right calf and was hoping the rest would help it - it did and I did the Monday run fine without any pain but then only got through about 1:20 of my long run this morning before I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. I have another massage appointment this week and am going to try dry needling either Friday or Monday. I have extremely tight everything in my legs and need to get things back in control and then try to do a better job of staying on top of it going forward but it is past the point of foam roller time being able to fix it all. I think I will lay off the running for a few days and up my bike time a bit to compensate for it. I am not really worried about it as I have been running for so long that my body knows how to do it so as long as I am healthy and keep the fitness going with swim and bike I won't loose too much ground.

I'm looking forward to the camp weekend - I did decide to head over to Cambridge since i am so close and I think it will be huge confidence boost.

Looking even further ahead, do we really have big Saturdays in back to back weeks on Sept. 12 and 19? I am trying to plan my schedule and want to make sure I am looking at things correctly!

Have a great week everyone!
  • Options
    Looking even further ahead, do we really have big Saturdays in back to back weeks on Sept. 12 and 19? I am trying to plan my schedule and want to make sure I am looking at things correctly!

Assuming you stick with the "Big Camp/RR#1" week as next week. Then I see the following for those weeks (on the INT plan)
    9/12: 5hr Bike/40min run
    9/13: 3.5hr Bike

9/19: Race Rehearsal #2 (really important!)
    9/20: REST DAY!!!!
  • Options
    Nemo, oh yah, you are speaking my language.

Instead of a big camp week for me I'm going to stick to trying to just really nail longer rides from RR1 to RR2. and maybe add one mid week long ride of 2-2.5 hours. I'm really just guarding against the burn out. I've always thought it a fun challenge and really great fitness boost doing Thurs long run, Friday Long swim, Sat RR...That's a lot of endurance work in 3 days. and the weekend before RR2 with a 5 hour ride 40 min run is just about equal to a RR.

Sarah, smart by backing off on your run....do whatever it takes to heal that thing up, ice, heat, advil, message. And a trip to the race venue is a great idea. Will help boost confidence and settle race day nerves.

• Options
    A little knee update for you all. I've been doing my physical therapy exercises (from back when I had surgery on the other knee) all week and I did my first run since the "incident" last week after yesterday's bike. I intentionally used that brick as my first "test" because I always run better off the bike. I kept it short- just 15 minutes (vs the plans 40) and it went really well. So, for today's "long run" I decided to do 80 minutes all at my LSD pace. That also went really well (yipeeeee). I'll continue to make time for the PT stuff, but I'm pretty hopeful that I can keep this under control.

Sooooo- with all of this in mind, like Nate, I've also decided the "Camp Week" is just going to be asking a bit too much of my body right now. I had thought of putting it off one week (as I mentioned earlier to take advantage of labor day)- but that only gives me 2 weeks to the next RR and not a lot of recovery time between. Instead, I'm going to fall back to the "old plan" model (heck, worked great for me 3 times before, right?) and will make the following adjustments to "Camp Week" (per the wiki guidance).

Do the long run, slated for Sunday, on Thursday.
    Bump the RR swim from Thursday to Friday.
    Do RR #1 (112 ride / 1 hour run) on Saturday.
    Sunday OFF to recover.
    Monday back at the regular plan.
  • Options
    That's awesome news, Nemo! I've been meaning to ask how the knee was doing.

WOW... I've been wondering what all this "camp week" stuff is... finally looked ahead and now I know! yikes!! I'm with Nemo and Nate; I just don't think I could fit all that in, logistically, physically, and mentally. I also am going to do what Nemo's doing - typical RR week: long run Thu, RR swim Fri, RR#1 Sat, nothing (yippee!) Sun. I should be really rested too, as I did decide to fly to Dallas this weekend to move my daughter in to college, so... not much training for me this weekend; just family stuff!
  • Options
    Nemo, that's great news on the knee.
    and only in our little Ironman World would doing the below relative to a "camp" weekend make you feel "lesser"somehow. its still so much work.

Do the long run, slated for Sunday, on Thursday.
    Bump the RR swim from Thursday to Friday.
    Do RR #1 (112 ride / 1 hour run) on Saturday.

Today's long run I was out the door at 4:30. really humid. I was totally soaked by the end. drank 44oz of sports drink and that was probably not enough. came in aright at 2:07

I even made it to my 8am class on time.
  • Options
    Beautiful OWS this morning with my hubby providing paddle support. The sound was so calm, it was lake smooth. Ahhhhhh. I'm hoping to do the RR swim that same way next week, but swimming all the way across to Roanoke Island and then paddling back with him. Just would be kinda cool to say I swam from my island to theirs!

In the meantime, if you haven't been following the "Defining a good run" thread, you should know that the coaches have updated and modified the race execution guidelines as a result of those discussions. The new guidelines can be found in the wiki here, be sure you get your head wrapped around all of this before next week!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Defining+A+Good+Ironman+Run+Using+Heart+Rate