Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Thoughts on my RR #2 venue?

Hmmmm, 60% chance of rain in Madison on Friday with mid-60's
temps. And a long 2.5-hour drive to get there. And a longer drive home in Friday
traffic.

I'm seriously considering moving my race rehearsal ride on Friday
to start <1.5 hours away in Three Oaks, MI with the bulk of the riding down in Indiana where
there are a few hills but nothing close to the degree of those on the IMWI course. Forecast is currently 0% rain and 79 degrees.</span>

Tough call. With no chance of rain I'd be in Madison in a heartbeat.

Thoughts from my IMWI teammates??

Comments

• Options
    I think you should go to the closer venue with better weather. Us in California who are surrounded by hills have been doing our rehearsals on flat bike paths. Its all about honing in the watts, the nutrition, and the position.
  • Options
    Matt, based on what I've seen from the rides you post, seems you have no issue riding steady on the IMWI course. Seems like it would just be a logistical stressor and subpar from weather. I did mine last weekend just riding up in the north burbs. Not at all the hills of WI, but like Peter said, more important to dial in the watts, nutrition, etc.
  • Options
    Indoors !
  • Options
    What Peter and Rachel said. I'm doing mine on flat paths on Friday, backing it up with similar Sat and Sun rides. Big heat wave coming through SoCal so the Friday brick will suck. Planning to ride down the coast to Solana Beach and take the train back on Sunday because I think if I did the path again, in the heat, they'd find me under a bridge with a gun in my mouth

#howmanydays?
  • Options
    Well the forecast for the start of the rain started to move to later and later in the morning. I had the car packed to head down to Indiana for my RR #2 but woke up at 3:45am to check just ONE MORE TIME. The start of the rain had moved yet another hour, to 12 noon. So I got in the car and drove to Madison for the RR. Glad I did...I'll post details in the week 18 thread. The rain held off...just barely...and really started coming down just as I got in the car to head back out of town at just past 1pm. I was in a rush not just because of the rain or all the work calls I had stacked up for the ride home, but also for the Chipotle burrito bowl I pre-ordered for 1:45pm pickup in Janesville on the way home...yummy after a 6-hour workout