Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IMMD 2015 Course Discussions

We've started talking in other threads about some of the uniqueness to this course and I thought it might be helpful to consolidate all of that in one thread.  So here it is!!!  If you have insight on the course that you want to share, PLEASE do!

We all know the course is Flat, but that doesn't mean easy.  Especially since Cambridge is notoriously windy!  I did a little "back of the envelope" calculations on how different wind conditions could play out on race day and below is what I came up with.  I only looked at the loop section of the course (not the 10 mile out & back part that gets us from T1 to the loop and back to T2 again).  And these numbers are only for 1 loop (so double it to get totals for both loops).  In a nutshell, if you want to pray to the wind gods, I'd suggest you ask them for something with a flavor of South!  Also- I'd warn that a Tail-Cross wind can be just as awful to ride in as a Head-Cross wind.  Somehow anything with cross in it just kinda sucks!

MM

Miles

N

NE

E

SE

S

SW

W

NW

10-25

Tail

T-Cross

Cross

H-Cross

Head

H-Cross

Cross

T-Cross

25-30

T-Cross

Tail

T-Cross

Cross

H-Cross

Head

H-Cross

Cross

30-32

Head

H-Cross

Cross

T-Cross

T-Cross

T-Cross

Cross

H-Cross

32-40

H-Cross

H-Cross

T-Cross

Tail

H-Cross

H-Cross

H-Cross

Head

40-42

Head

H-Cross

Cross

T-Cross

T-Cross

T-Cross

Cross

H-Cross

42-45

H-Cross

H-Cross

T-Cross

Tail

H-Cross

H-Cross

H-Cross

Head

45-50

H-Cross

Head

H-Cross

H-Cross

Tail

Tail

T-Cross

T-Cross

50-52

T-Cross

H-Cross

H-Cross

Head

T-Cross

T-Cross

T-Cross

Tail

52-58

H-Cross

Head

H-Cross

Cross

Tail

Tail

T-Cross

T-Cross

N

NE

E

SE

S

SW

W

NW

Head

H-Cross

Cross

T-Cross

Tail

"End of course"

"Beginning of course"

Comments

• Options
    I have pasted the link to my Garmin file from last year. As others have stated, the course is flat. I prefer the course to Eagleman as it avoids the one road on the Eagleman course that tends to be rough.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/595601421#.VebHzf_cFCk.gmail
  • Options
    Thanks William! That's really helpful. I've heard from a few folks that there is one section of the course where the water came up over the road during high tide (on the second loop for some). Did you experience that last year and if so, do you recall where on the course that happened? I'm not really worried about it (it is what it is), but would be nice to know what to expect so there's no surprises.
  • Options
    Nemo, yes there was one portion of the course that was covered by water on the second loop. The advice last year was to coast through the section to minimize the water on the bike and shoes. I coasted through and it was bad.
  • Options
    Some local friends say the low spot prone to flooding is on Maple Dam Rd. Roughly mile 25 and 70.
  • Options
    bib # 2519...holy cow...Kevin
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone can answer these question but .
    1) Wet suit or not
    2) arm cooler or warmers
    I will pray to the wind gods...Thoughts
  • Options

Posted By Kevin Foote on 05 Sep 2015 07:04 PM

I don't know if anyone can answer these question but .

1) Wet suit or not

2) arm cooler or warmers

I will pray to the wind gods...Thoughts

1- Maybe, Maybe not

2- I'd doubt warmers, but coolers could be a possibility

First weekend in October is a real crap shoot when it comes to weather on the Eastern Shore.  Could be brutal hot or completely comfy.  There also could be a hurricane rolling through.  Water temps "should" be wetsuit legal but if fall temps don't arrive early enough I'd say it's also possible for over 76 degree water.  The only thing I think you can count on is that there will be wind.  Just gotta hope it won't be real strong wind.  

• Options
    Thanks Nemo..First Im..getting nervous..actually have been for some time..
  • Options
    I'll weigh in on the water on the bike course from last year...Maple Dam Rd sounds correct (around mile 70 is where I remember seeing water anyway.) I only remember one, maybe two spots where the road was completely submerged. I rode the crown, as instructed in the pre-race rules meeting, and it was maybe 1 inch deep. However, some other people I talked to post race who that passed through a bit later said it was a deeper than two inches. General rule is to slow down and just coast through the water with your pedals level as previously mentioned and you'll be ok. Als0, I recommend a quick bike washing as soon as you can after the race to get the salt off.
  • Options
    Als0, I recommend a quick bike washing as soon as you can after the race to get the salt off.

REALLY good advice Michael! Thanks for the confirmation on the water spot. Sounds like really nothing to worry about- just be prepared and it will be OK.

Kevin- while it's really good for us all to have some ideas of what to expect, try not to get too wigged out about the weather. I do my best not to look at the forecast until I have to pack. Best thing you can do in the mean time is just be sure you have tried out your equipment in all sorts of conditions if possible so if it is windy or rainy or whatever- it's nothing new to you. You'll be great!
  • Options
    Hey Team, I just noticed the sign-up is now available for the Coaches pre-race Course chat webinar. The date is set for 9/21 and you can register here:
    https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7592649322472190465
  • Options
    on race day temp and what to wear. Its too soon to start stressing on this just yet. hold back. that's what taper time is for.

-Bring all the gear you can fit into your car or suitcase. Chances are it will be cool in the morning warming up in the afternoon. Having an old pair of socks with the feet cut off always come in handy so you can wear them for the first 30 or so miles on the bike and then just throw them away at an aid station.

-In 2013 when this race (chesapeakman) was in late September, I had a hooded sweatshirt with me in the morning and I was glad I had it with me because it was cool and windy sitting by the water. Eventually I just put on my wetsuit. by 2pm it was in the high 80s.

-I suspect it will be a wetsuit legal swim, but you have to be prepared mentally for a non wetsuit swim. Also, there are probably jellyfish that don't sting too bad but just know that they are out there. just keep swimming.

-Its going to be windy! just know eventually the wind will be at your back and you will be going really fast. just stick to your paces regardless of the wind. You will see lots of people fighting to maintain speed into a headwind. big mistake. same as charging up a hill. Guess what, it might also be windy on the run. that annoying wind sound through your ears could be a constant all day. I'm hoping the run course through the town will protect us a bit. In fact, I think the new run course is going to be really good for spectator support.

• Options
    Nate..Sage advice..Thank you..Kevin