Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

IMFL Week 13 of 20 Building the Engine

Happy Monday and welcome to the weekly 2015 IMFL thread all!

You can lurk only, post your workouts, ask questions, or just drive the EN IMFL mojo meter along the way for your team mates in this thread.

We are entering the PRIME work period for the given race date.  Try to get your head wrapped around the next 6-7 weeks of training load and stay healthy!

I kicked off my week with an EZ Monday morning durability run in unusually cool temps for the north Texas area (65 degrees) WhooHoo!

Looking to get some swim work in before the day is over if I am lucky!'

Have a great week all!

SS

Comments

• Options

Thanks for starting this, SS.  Two things I learned in the last week about our race is: (1) they eliminated the 10 miles of horrible roads and replaced it with another stretch of Hwy 79 from Miles ~73-88.  Which is spectacular news.  This should put the vast majority of the course on pretty smooth highway, which means everyone's bike split just got 5 minutes faster.  The only potential downside is that we're likely to face a headwind from Mile 78-105, about 5-6 miles more than before.  I've heard it said a hundred times that the "Ironman race doesn't begin until Mile 80 on the bike." And, sure enough, at around Mile 80 in all 7 of these suckers, my mind/body loudly declares: "I no longer want to be on this bike, I'm not eating anything else today, and I will never again drink another drop of Gatorade." The wind, if present, won't make it any easier. But mentally preparing for it does/will help.  The number of riders you'll see sitting up into that wind (because they just can't handle aero position any longer) is staggering.  (2) The AG race starts at 6:15 am.!  TA opens at a crazy 4:30 a.m.  Which means going to bed earlier, getting up earlier, eating earlier.  But it does mean 45 more minutes of sunlight in the afternoon.

As for training, I finally found a pool and will be testing it out this afternoon.  It's apparently 17 meters long, so Garmin won't work (min distance it tracks is 20m).  This just won't be a big swim build for me this time.  Hopefully 3x/wk, with a final few weeks at 12k/wk or so.  The bike is coming along.  FTP work on Tues & Thurs, then crushing myself on Saturday.  Last 4 weekend rides have all been 62-80 in length, with the goal of simply upping the NP each week.  165, 182, 194, and then 209NP this past Saturday. Will do the same the next 3 weekends, then get in 3 successive century rides to hone in the final race power numbers.  My last two IMs I rode around 165NP (5:20 at TX, 5:35 at NZ).  And 165 should give me around a 5:15 on this course in normal conditions.  Hoping the final rides support me racing at 180-85NP, which could give me a shot at sub-5:10 and a crack at a top 30 AG position.  Run is also going well.  Got new, well-cushioned shoes (Asics Kayano) for the home stretch and did a run-focus week last week (39 miles).  Three main runs, plus a couple of short brick runs, each week, building from the low 30's to about 40 mi/wk.  Focus is on durability, with some tempo replacing speed (speed work and volume just don't mix well with this 47yo body). Long run pace has slowed from 7:45 to 7:50~, but that was to be expected.

The only unsolicited advice I would give is to work on your nutrition plan, if you haven't already.  The number of ENers who post frightening nutrition plans in their RPs a week or two before the big race is pretty crazy.  If you're doing something that's different than what's in the Wiki and it hasn't been Iron-tested, I encourage you to post about it sooner rather than later.  

Stay safe, stay healthy.

• Options
    happy monday. welcome to the first week of the rest of your lives!
    Lunch swim. 200M IM 12x200 continuous as 100hard 100 recover looking to hold or improve times across the set. 400m Kick 100m CD. A good time was had by all. Tonight is recovery run during oldest daughter's gymnastics class.
  • Options

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm excited to get this going with all the great races and inspiring results going on. I plan to pretty much follow the training plan verbatim as I did last year for my first IM.

Got the entire Monday swim done with no cramping-that's huge. This morning got the interval run done in an unusually cool 52 degrees! That felt great. Plan on getting Tues. swim in after work.

Have a great training day, and be safe out there.

• Options
    More thanks for the thread and being our team captain. That is you, right? It is great to hear everyone's stories of success and growth building up to the big day. I am returning to PCB for my second IMFL and a chance to swim this year!
  • Options
    Thanks for getting things moving Shaughn.

Early season injury, family and life in general have not been kind to build this year but it's what I got so to mimic your mantra I'll just keep moving forward.

I'm trying to get to the pool 4 days a week and being a self-taught swimmer I'm very slowly making progress. My rule is whenever I'm feeling great about my swim I bring the video to the pool for a dose of reality. I did this last Friday and now have lots of things to work on.

The bike is my favorite so easy to get sessions done but time is not always on my side with two kids that swim on teams so I will be spending more time on the trainer but at this point I'm used to long sessions in my pain cave.

Just like I'm not a swimmer I'm also not a runner so here I just follow the plan to the best of my ability and get the WKOs in.

Nutrition wise I was pretty good with the perform and never had issues and have a core race plan which worked very well for me at IMFL 2012 and the IMChoo last year. The switch to GE has been an explosive disaster for me at least so far. GE is really heavy and gross and just does not agree with me at all. I've tried it on several longer rides and it's just not working. I'm going to have to try something different if after this weekend's Saturday 5-6 hrs and Sunday 3-4 rides my body is still revolting.

I hope everyone has a solid week of good sessions.

• Options

@Attila - like your post and plan.  I am similar to you in terms of my swim capabilities.  MR is one of the best resources we have in the haus for swim improvement.  Frequency is smart as long as it doesn't bite into your bike/run time IMO.   I hear you on balancing the family load as well....I think we are all in that boat as far as work, training, family, stress goes.

@Virginia - yes I can play the role of Captain, however, be sure to pick MR's brain periodically...........he has some powerful medicine.

All, look a MR's thread below......several gold nuggets in there if you dissect his post.   Look at the NP thoughts, nutrition comments and others.  

My plan this week is a bit of a hack with MWF swim planned (did a 6X600 slog yesterday).  Tues/Thurs intensity bike and Sat long bike with Sun Long run.  I may change that up after this week of transition from GF to IM training.

This morning's Hell bike  in two sessions:

https://www.strava.com/activities/392778718

https://www.strava.com/activities/392778704

About 160+ TSS total.  Did a 2X20'(2') FTP last week to ensure I have an accurate baseline.

Trying to run later today at some point.

All, keep moving forward and stay healthy.

I am excited about this group going into IMFL!

SS

• Options

Tuesday swim done yesterday evening. The negative is that my pace was a little slow, the positive is that I made it thru back to back days of 4000y swims with no foot cramps. Hopefully I'm acclimated to the longer swims.

This mornings bike felt tough. Made it thru 2x15' Zn4 both @ .95. Usually, I try to do the Zn5 sets, even if I blow up before 5', but at 57 I don't recover like I used to, so played it smart instead of overdoing it now, and really struggling later.

Looks like one of my projects for the Sat. long bike is going to be adjusting fluids/sodium on the fly. Looking back a IMFLA, looks like it could be 55 deg or 85 deg or both.

• Options

@ Mark - HUGE work there!  Nice job on the Z4 pain and the back to back long swims....I missed Swim 2 yesterday and will try to put that on in this afternoon at some point.

Racking up the TSS here with 3X1s yesterday: https://www.strava.com/activities/393695778 

......and 110% bike work this morning early: https://www.strava.com/activities/394086408   ....feeling a little shaky.....

Trying to get my head wrapped around the weekend work now.....

Happy Thursday all!

SS

• Options

Thursday long run done- 12.5 mi in 2:13:xx. Time includes ~20 pace hydration walks every 1-2 mi and a couple quick p stops. Not a fast runner(vDot 37/38ish), but this was a good steady effort. Final push doesn't yield much pace increase-last 1/2mile to house all up hill.

@Shaughn- with you on the weekend work, I got 5 hrs bike Sat., 3 on Sun. last week. Hope to repeat- feel like I live on the bike now!

Yall be safe out there-

• Options

@Mark - 8 hours of biking last weekend is what I call a Competitor Elimination Strategy!  HUGE work bro!  Big props for nailing the Long run this week!  Keep leading!!

I slogged my way through a 4,000M swim for lunch yesterday in an outdoor 50M pool.   For me, it becomes hugely mental after 3K.  Used the pool buoy after 2,400M to get the remaining 1,600M done.  Slept like a brick last night!

Got in a Friday durability run this morning with some hills and looking to check off that last swim this afternoon.

I've been on the trainer for the past 7 weeks after IMLP.  Going to be interesting as I attempt an outside ride Saturday a.m...........I may need to take along some of Mark's mojo to make it through!

Long rides/runs become pretty damn important at this point.  Be safe out there and good luck to all this weekend!

SS

• Options
    I'm doing a supported , non-competitive century ride on Sunday. I feel like my legs can do it and I have good EN recommended nutrition so I will put that to the test. Should be fun and educational image
    Have a successful and safe training weekend everyone!
  • Options

Friday swim workout done-4000 y, had to take it easy about the last 1000, feet feeling a little crampy-probably from yesterdays run. Still managed about a race pace avg.

@SS- don't know if you'd want my mojo, it has determination, but not alot of speed!

Looks like were going to have great training weather this weekend-rather be riding in Virginia's supported century-that sounds fun.

• Options

I've  so been reading about our teammates talking about 5 hr power, so I decided to do my own test. I probably had the ride of my life so far- 5 hrs @ 205w=.836! I get home and the Garmin goes wonkie, and the computer will no longer recognize it-are you kidding?

Never the less, had a great Sat. long ride with about 250+ tss in 5 hrs. Also, did a good job with nutrition plan.

Hope everyone else had a safe/great training day and practiced their nutrition.

• Options

@Mark - consistency hitting the plan will only make you stronger!  Solid work getting the 5 hour bike done bro!

I found myself fiddling around with my entire back brake cable Friday night!  Finally made something work after breaking one part then replacing the entire cable........

Got the long ride done on Saturday with the last two hours in heavy downpours: From the iPhone Strava app:https://www.strava.com/activities/395584480

204 NP, .68IF, 220 TSS, 4:48 ride time, 95 miles......

Practiced holding steady power in 25' increments, drinking Gatorade E (half a bottler every 15') one Gel on :10 and half a power bar on :40s.

Ran 3 miles before the ride.

Sunday was a little foggy getting up but did get the run done. 15 miles broken up with the first 12 miles incorporating 4X1.25 @ Z4:https://www.strava.com/activities/396480019  Followed by 3 miles cooling down.

Been on the couch for about 5 hours!

How did the week go for all you other peeps?

SS

• Options
    The Good and Bad of last week's training:
    The Good: I am juggling around the training schedule to accommodate life so I typically will do my long bike during the week while the kids are at school. So I was able to get that done on Wed. I'm really trying to focus on my nutrition so I will not have GI issues on the run. During IMCdA I only used honey stingers with perform and had bloated stomach on the run. So I have been switching my gels around with cliff shots, powerbar gels, & honey stingers. I think this is working.
    The Bad: I was suppose to do my long run on Sat morning before my son's football game; however I got a stomach bug and was out of commission Friday night and Sat. So on Sunday afternoon I was feeling better and decided to try and knock out my long run. This was so stupid on my part as I was not hydrated. I felt tight on the first mile but kept going, by mile 6 I should have called it, but being stubborn I kept going. By mile 10 I stopped running and called my husband to let him know that I was going to be walking home the last 2 miles. I felt horrible both physically and mentally!
    I feel better today and will get in a swim. I just don't like failing on a run as it takes a toll on you mentally!
    I hope everyone has a great week! I love seeing how well everyone is doing!
  • Options

Hey Christina, 

Gutting through a tough 10-miler while sick/dehydrated isn't a failure. It put a huge strain on you physically and mentally; therefore, it was a good building block.  Although it's essential to get in those long rides and runs, not every one is gonna be a thing of beauty.  I always have flat days and weeks during my IM builds.  In the past, they freaked me out . . . because I was "falling behind" on training.  Older, slightly-less-stupid Mike now enjoys and appreciates those flat days/weeks because they're proof that the training is working.  I felt pretty flat last week.  I planned on riding 4.5 hrs on Sat, but legs were pretty shelled after 3.5, so I pulled the plug with a plan to ride one more hour at home on the trainer. But when I plugged my data into Training Peaks, it confirmed that I was carrying a ton of fatigue, so I didn't get back on the bike. Instead, I rested.  By Sunday morning, my fatigue was down to a tolerable, but not great -23 (I look for -18 or better), but it was just good enough to allow me to go on a strong 15-mile run.  Had I pushed for 4.5 hrs on Saturday, the Sunday run probably would have been ugly.  Coach R's IM plans are great, but we each react differently to the work in them.  Rest is what allows you to absorb the work, recover and move on.  BTW, my fatigue level is -31 today, so it's mostly a rest day with a medium swim - just as Rich has it scheduled.

As for your GI issues at CdA, I can only guess, but based on the classic mistakes thousands make each year at the IM distance, you probably just over-consumed late on the bike.  Over the past decade, my calories on the bike have come down while salt and liquid consumption has gone up.  I know that, as a 150lb~ guy, I need 80-100g of carbs each hour (0.6g per each # per hr is a good ballpark).  My body can't process more than that, so trying is stupid.  1,000mg/hr of sodium works for me.  Most of the above in the form of 2 bottles of GE each hour.  I'll supplement the first half of the bike with a few bites of solids, some gels, and salt pills if it's warm, but the important part IMO is the last 30-45 min on the bike.  By this time at Mile 90 or so, my body is no longer functioning properly, with my legs hogging blood the GI system would badly like to process food/drink. So, my intake the last hour is markedly reduced.  I move to mostly water and a gel or two, with the last gel coming at least 30 minutes before T2.  Sip some water at 15 min out, arrive at transition with a relatively empty stomach, ready to run.  A huge number of people fall behind on their nutrition and try to cram the last hour or just "top off the tanks" with a mile or two to go.  Because their systems aren't working normally, that nutrition isn't processed quickly or efficiently.  So, they get off the bike with full stomachs.  Once on the run, that material that sat quietly in the stomach on the steady bike now starts to jostle, and virtually nothing is getting absorbed while it's jostling around.  And that can spiral into full nausea, etc. Do not be afraid of bonking on the bike.  It just doesn't really happen in an IM.  If you are craving food at Mile 1 of the run, there'll be a buffet waiting for you at that one and the following 24 mile markers. I hate to see so many people spend so many months training for an event, only to screw up the day because of a bad nutritional plan or no plan at all.  So, everyone, please plan and practice.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

• Options

Got in another 3 hr./ 50 mile ride in Sunday, legs a little tired from Saturday's effort- IF .742 TSS 134.4. I had been feeling kinda flat training recently, but had a pretty solid week training with 8 hrs. on the bike last two weekends.