Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Triathlon + Fam vacation

So, I've planned my races for 2016 and received approval from my bride. Yay! First tri of the season that requires travel is 70.3 Florida, to which we intend to attach a Disney week with our five kids. My struggle is deciding whether to go to Disney the week prior or the week post. I figure the week prior is a pretty light taper week so I'll have some time on my hands but I will be pretty preoccupied with race stuff. The week post, my legs may not like the idea of long days of walking around Disney? 

Anybody with experience combining multi-day amusement park vacations got a suggestion?

Best,

Dave

Comments

• Options
    According to my wife, trying to have a "vacation" near the venue the week before an event is hopeless, while doing it the week after is a joy. In the last year, we've successfully used this strategy in Hawaii and NYC for memorable times. Personally, I don't see any impact on my ability to keep up and enjoy myself. Walking is good physio therapy after a race. We hiked around Volcano Natl Park, and walked all over NYC.
  • Options
    Hey Dave! We've done Disney immediately after IMNYC and IMLP (flying from NJ --> FL the day or two after the race), and it's worked out great both times. As Al pointed out, all of that walking around the theme parks is EXCELLENT active recovery (and a great opportunity for some post-race indulgence! Those Disney chefs know what they're doing!). I'd vote you focus on your race the week before, and celebrate the week after. It gives the whole family something to look forward to (taking my kids to DisneyWorld was my One Thing at IMNYC!).
  • Options
    We have gone to Disney (or similar) for a week's vacation after 3 different Ironman's and it was great. Yeah, you're a moving slow the first couple of days, but all of the walking is actually good for me, and by day 3 you're usually also ready for a water park or something more active...
  • Options
    I agree 100% with the group. For any A race or PR i would vacation after the event. Your focus should be on race logistics, diet and rest besides the fact you'll be a bit edgy towards one else's needs besides your own.
    However, if the 70.3 is a B or C race and you're just shaking off the cobwebs then i don't think it really matters.
  • Options
    Thanks All!!! Sounds unanimous and wise. The Nesom family will be chillaxin' with Mickey and the gang the week after the race image

Now, to figure out when to break the good news...
  • Options
    I have done it both ways and it's fine for us....