Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2015 Ironman Louisville RACE WEEK

Game time everyone.  Safe packing, travels, and arrival.  Don't make bad decisions about workouts and last minute exercise, especially as you roll into town and start spending time with 3000 of the most nervous so I'll act the over loud, tough man triathletes around.  Friction will pop up this week.  Ride the wave, don't fight it.  Expect to have to solve problems, you will forget something at home, and you'll need to find a solution to problems once you get to Louisville.  Stay calm, ask the team for help and ideas early, and lets all get into the swim line with as little stress and uncertainty as possible.   

See everyone soon!

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to Lou next week! I asked a question of Coach P after he posted the Louisville about bike pacing for Lou. Can anything help me with the question below? Thanks!

I am a little confused on pacing for the bike. Looks like you (Coach P) broke it out into 4 areas. Can you explain a little more in power zones? For my RR (Intermediate Plan) I usually do 30 min at JRA/High Zone 1 Power and the remainder and Mid Zone 2.

Also, a real beginner question here but I want to make sure I get it right so I can crush the run. I have been training on some hills here in Michigan and have been slowing way down on the way up to stay in Z2 Power (i.e 7-10 mph) and ensuring I take advantage of the downhills but also stay in Z2. Is that correct?
  • Options
    RACE WEEK! Got a short swim in this morning. My Garmin is starting to misbehave which is annoying seeing how I'm using it this weekend. Oh well. Not going to introduce a new watch into the mix at this point. Started getting my things together this weekend, but will do most of my packing on Wednesday. Now I just have to focus at work for the next 3 days. That is going to be a challenge.

Question for the team -- sorry if it's silly -- much of my training has been in HOT weather, and now I'm worried about being cold on the bike right at the beginning when I'm still wet from the swim. I'm planning on wearing my sleeveless EN tri top and tri shorts. I was going to wear sun sleeves, but now I'm thinking of switching to arm warmers instead. I've heard of people using newspaper in some way, but I'm not sure how that works. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!
  • Options
    Jennifer, you can put a newspaper under your tri-top in T1. That creates a wind block to keep your chest warmer on the ride. Presuming you have a sports bra on underneath, you can unzip the top, pull it out and discard it at a drop zone after you warm up, else pull it out from the bottom of your tri top. A sheet of plastic, say from a garbage bag would serve the same purpose. Just spread it out under your top in T1.
  • Options
    @Paul - Great advice - thanks! I think I'll do that. I had heard talk about newspaper before, but wasn't sure how to use it. Thanks so much for explaining it to me image
  • Options
    Monday Madness - slept in ... yeah!! 1600 yard swim at lunch ... yeah!! Evening - 5 mile run ... yeah!! Packed all swim gear.
  • Options
    Weather looks promising, water improving, emotions rising - Race Week! Yippee!

Roy - thanks for the IMLOU Deep Thoughts, great leadership, as usual

2 1/2 hr bike yesterday (one of bike bottle cages broke) and 30 min run
    2000 yd swim today
    started packing
  • Options

Got in my 1600 yards this evening.  Still haven't packed yet.    Will need to do it tomorrow night.   My boss just scheduled me for an afternoon meeting on Wednesday, so my departure time is pushed back a few hours.  Still hope to get close to Louisville Wednesday evening and come in on Thursday by noonish. 

Tomorrow, will try to get in a run at lunch and a ride tomorrow night, either on my race bike outside or road bike and trainer while watching something fun on tv.   Don't want to put the new tires on the trainer.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on thursday.  Bummer that we all won't make the team dinner.  I know i will come with an appetite. 

• Options
    News Flash - 2.2 earth quake outside of Louisville. ?? In all seriousness, it was so weak, most people didn't feel it. No damage at all, but something else to spin people up ??
  • Options

Note to self:  Get the bike workout done and pack now. Run done already.  Work tomorrow till mid afternoon, and then I head to Lou.  Over and out.

• Options
    Terrific Tuesday: Sleep in ... again ... oh yeah!! Bike work-out: 60 mins with 3 x 10 mins at .92 Z4. More packing.

USAT announced that the 2016 National Long Course Triathlon Nationals will be at Miami Man - 13 Nov 2016. Road trip!!!
  • Options

Got my bike ride in, 1 hour, 4 x 8' zone 2,3, on my road bike and trainer.  Tri bike is in the Sports Van, ready for transport.

• Options
    1 hr bike followed by 30 min run today. Felt good on the run, that's new! Mostly packed and ready to head to the LOU on Thursday afternoon.
  • Options
    1 hour on trainer yesterday trying to sync HR and power one last time. Followed posted wko. Then 30 min brick. Today I'll finish packing and head to WV for overnight and then on to Lou. Hoping to arrive lunch time on Thursday. Safe travels to all.
  • Options
    Wonderful Wednesday - Up early for 1600 yard swim and 4 mile run. Will bike 70 mins easy on the trainer tonight and finish packing. Flying to Louisville tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    1hr bike ride in yesterday and short swim today. Coach kicked me out after 35 minutes LOL. Since my husband was still swimming I got to hang out there and stare at all the faster swimmers and watch their form.
    @Jennifer. for IMAZ, I used those body warmer packets in my bra for some extra warmth. I will wear a my sports bra and a swim suit over it and get into a dry jersey and shorts in T1. It won't take me long, the sports bra also would be nice to have dry but getting one on a wet body is just a $%#%ing pain. I flashed some people standing in the porto line at AZ while trying to wriggle into my bra. Not fun at all. That said I am super excited at the prospect of being too cold. image
  • Options
    For those going to the team dinner, the reservation is in my last name (Ezell). Be sure to take pictures and submit to EN so we can be famous ??
  • Options
    Groupme is live. Please download the app on your phone. Coach P has started our group.