Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

IMFL Wk 17 of 20 - Execution

2»

Comments

• Options

I love the Sunday evening of Week 17.  Long runs are the most difficult physical part of IM training for me, and they're done!  If your weekend was a slog and you couldn't get done what you wanted or couldn't hit the targets, don't worry.  It's all just fatigue, and fatigue is what builds fitness and toughness.

I had planned 17 hrs of wko's this week, just saw that I hit 16:58 and was half tempted to go walk a few hundred yards.  But I left that guy behind a few decades ago.  Got in the 15k of swimming and 8+ hrs of biking I wanted - all the biking on the trainer with no coasting, just like IMFL.  Feet, ankles and knees felt terrible mid-week, so I cut short a few runs and ended 3 miles short of my 40mi goal.  But I think that cut-back allowed me to run one of my better 19-milers ever today.  Swim volume will stay the same or increase the next couple of weeks.  This is the last week of big biking, then the taper.  Run frequency (5x/wk for me) stays the same, as does the intensity, just cut back volume 20% to around 30mi (with another 20% reduction in Wk 19).  I've got my nutrition plan down, will do a final test of my wattage plan next Saturday, and waiting to dial in my gear plan depending on what the weather throws us (it is often cold early on the bike, hot on the run, then cold on the run as the sun sets).

Unlike many, I really don't find a lot of joy in long training workouts.  But I love racing so much, I just consider the training the price of entry.  Which is probably why I love the end of Week 17 so much and will pretty much have a perma-smile the next 20 days.  I saw a lot of great efforts by the team this weekend, and your hard work and positive vibe helped me so much get to this point (I was on the verge of dropping out of IMFL a few months ago).  So, as the sun sets on Week 17, let the truly fun part begin . . .

• Options
    @ Mike thanks for the saddle suggestions. I have an Adamo saddle but upon further investigation from my husband somehow the metal bar on the left side was bent and was making the left side of the saddle hit me wrong. So got a new saddle this weekend and it seems to be working great. I was happy with my long run on Thurs with 18 miles in 2:57 with avg HR at 140. It helped that starting temps were in the high 60's and finished with low 80's. Short run on Friday with a swim Fri night. The swam felt good and I felt like my form was good but I was about 4 sec slower per 100/yd. Maybe just some cumulative fatigue.
    I'm resting today as sickness as hit the Davis household. Sat night I began feeling icky and Sunday I got on the trainer but stopped at an hour as I was coughing & had horrible sinus pressure. I believe its just allergies but I'm taking it easy today as later this week is big. I'm popping vitamin C, Zyrtec, & Mucinex with lots of fluids.
  • Options

I titled this thread EXECUTION and across the board that is what was delivered during what is arguably one of the toughest weeks in the plan!

Each week I am watching the evolution of so many Ironmen in the making and it is just amazing simply put!  Everyone working hard, smart and effectively posting HUGE reports of S/B/Rs! 

My Friday long swim slog: https://www.strava.com/activities/414049253

Saturday Long ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/414979252

Sunday gorilla cage fight with the long run: https://www.strava.com/activities/415698720

(42 miles running this week)

You guys left me no excuses reading daily to do anything less that just get it done.  Damn!

As far as I can tell, most are healthy with no injuries and maybe some sinus/head issues.  Just getting to the bottom of week 17 in reasonable condition is an Ironman in and of itself in my opinion!

Fantastic week team!