Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

IMFL WK 18 0f 20 - How BIG is your BOX?

2»

Comments

• Options

@DJ - funny stuff......hope you continue to post here for the team.

@Brent - welcome and strong work!

@the rest of you monsters - Wow!  ......very hard to keep up with you guys!

I got on the trainer yesterday and followed my plan pretty well up until about the 4 hour point when the bottom fell out:

https://www.strava.com/activities/419510031/overview

I completed 5:25 on the trainer but the NP was only 193 and needed to be ~200+.  Cumulative fatigue from a tough work week and traveling back and for from NYC caught up with me.  Did the best I could with that and followed all your mojo!

Ran well off the bike and focused on my LRP + 30 secs.  No rain and cooler temps over a hilly course got me 9:07 pace on 6.2 miles....

Nutrition was EZ given I had everything at my finger tips.

Heading out for a run today and looking forward to tapering like a champion with the rest of you!

SS

• Options
    Awesome awesome day for LR here in SE Michigan - sunshine, 60º and the fall colors are peaking. Started EZ and just tried to progressively go a little faster each mile. Not a proper RR run - I'm still just trying to knock the dust off after my 3-week vacation following CHOO.

Starting to get pretty excited for FL!

https://www.strava.com/activities/420351791

• Options

Got my RR in yesterday. Swim 1x4200, pretty uneventful. Bike- just felt pretty flat on the bike, legs felt fatigued, only rode a .62 IF, but did get in 100 mis.in the 6 hrs. Ran 6 mi in 65', first mile felt pretty bad, farther I went, the better I felt. All in all, not bad.

Take aways: nutrition plan seems ok. Used the Flo disc first time, pretty cool, it was a breezy day so I could feel it in the crosswinds. Even though my power was low, I rode steady, hopefully after some recovery I'll be able to ride the .68 on raceday. On the run my HR spiked up a little on the first mile, and then settled in at 140 where it needs to be. Most importantly, made it through the big workouts pretty injury free.

• Options
    after a rest day yesterday I got some solid work in today to cap the week. A progressive 4.5hr trainer session then a 30 min trot off of the bike. Cold front has come in and 60 degrees and windy is my new fav running temp. Very nice confidence builder after friday's RR run in a sauna.
    Sounds like I wasn't the only one who struggled on the trainer after the 4hr mark. I am in good company. Good work all around. Looking forward to team dinner.
  • Options
    Well, I have officially started the "Taper". I had intended to get one more swim in this week to push me up to 13,000 yards. However, work got in the way. I ended up covering for some holes in our shifts today and that has caused my day to be extended beyond where swimming is a possibility. I started at 5:00 am and I just finished working at 9:00 pm. I can't really complain. This has been a very good week. Totals for SBR are 10,000 yards swimming, 7.25 hours of biking(100%on the CT), 11 miles running(very light). Final build week total Tss points 872. That brings the last 4 week total to 3,951 Tss points. I moved my CTL a bunch. My TSB has been between -40 & -63 for the entire month of October. It is definitely time to absorb.
  • Options

@Ed, I woke up, read your post, and had a typical (for me) semi-panicked taper moment of, "oh crap, did I do enough?"  But when I counted up and saw that the last month had me only 70 TSS points behind you, I knew I was in good shape.  -63 TSB?  Good lord.  I hit -53 once and slept 12 hours the following night.  My TSB hasn't been positive since early August, was "only" -38 today, and I'm looking forward to getting that thing positive (20-25 would be ideal).  

Just went to the sign-up sheet to see where/when the team dinner is and noticed that I was appointed assistant to Captain SS. Ha.  That's like being Lebron's headband assistant.  Easiest job in the world.  Just hand him a headband at the beginning of the game, then sit back and watch the captain dominate.  

Other things I'll be focusing on this week:

1) Stay healthy.  My daughter is sick (she's been quarantined), and I get to experience the joy of commercial air travel tomorrow and Wednesday.

2) Taper correctly.  I almost always over- or under-taper.  I was injured (Achilles) for my March IM, took 2 weeks pretty much completely off (TSB to +49, lost 20 CTL points), and was flat on race day.  I can't make up any of the shortcomings in my training, but I can add unnecessary fatigue or lose fitness.  Other than one additional, easy swim this week to build a little more feel for the water, I'm blindly following the plan to the letter.

3) Nothing new.  No new super drinks, monkey spleen powder, aero body suits, dimpled sunglasses, invisible bottle cages, etc.  The $#!+ that got me this far is the $#!+ that will get me to the finish line.  I went to a race this summer, counted at least 200 P5s in the TA and seriously questioned whether I was falling behind on my gear.  After finishing before all but one of those P5s on my 2009 dinosaur of a bike, I reminded myself (correctly) that the vehicle is only 5-10% of the equation.  As for the 90-95% that really matters, work works.  The only potential exceptions, especially for a race like FL, is if you're not currently racing with an aero helmet or aero wheels.

4) Body comp.  I don't weigh myself very often, but I did today (148) and will continue doing so every day this week.  My metabolism still wants to feast, but my training this week won't burn enough calories to keep up with the feast. So, the feast is being postponed to Nov 8.

5) Finalize the lists I'll be living off of during race week.

Let the real fun begin! 

• Options

You guys are monsters!  Now its time to go take a Monster nap, start that taper and absorb.

While we are sharing, woke up with a -65 TSB and racked up ~1,200 TSS in Week 18, Week 19 was north of 1,400..........I need a nap!