Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Week 17 Execution, not Fitness

2»

Comments

• Options

One more word about the weather:

As for lake temps, Al is absolutely correct.  A week ago sunday's IM70.3 (formally SOMA) was 78-not wet suit legal.  Today water temp is 74.  The nights will consistently dip a little lower in temp now and the lake will be 65 +/- a few degrees on race day.  Last year was 68 but I think we are a little cooler this year so expecting 63-65 like Al predicts.  I know I feel great at 65 in wetsuit.  But my first IMAZ, 2013, water temp was 61 and my hands were numb and useless in transition.

As for afternoon temps, heat has never been an issue for me either in the last 3 years of participating.  Its sunny on my first run loop and dark the second (finishing about 8pm).  I have never been cold on the run in the dark or needed to put on any of the warming items I put in special needs bag.  Of course, once you are done, it can start feeling really cold.

Since IMAZ inception, there has only been one nasty, rainy year, 2010.  Hail on beeline and all.  This is a strong el Nino year (witness latest hurricane in sea of cortez) and definitely rainier here this year, but I am counting on it being a sunny (albeit likely windy) day

• Options

I did make it to Bartlett lake yesterday with group for OWS.  We all wore wetsuits but not sure what the water temp was.

So I got the friday swim in-3000m in 1:15 very windy choppy conditions.  I will have to get a couple of 4000s in to get a feel to see if I can make 1:30 goal.  I was 1:36 last year but it was really choppy.  Interestingly, I thought the chop was due to wind.  But, the previously mentioned swim spot captain told me that last year, some ASU kids who claimed to be lifeguard trained, were in speed boats.  Instead of doing their assigned job, they were racing around following their friends and the fast pros and making a huge wake that we had to deal with  Needless to say, they are not invited back this year to volunteer in the water