Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IM St George RR#1 ....

The good news is I was on the bike for 112 miles, 85% or more in the bars. I basically under performed. I didn't want to go over my 1st gear (155) the first hour, or over my 2nd gear (165) the rest of the ride. I basically was to worried I think with going over that anytime I saw anything above the target I would back off.  About 65 miles in a took a look at average watts @ 146. I did have a few sections where I was way over FTP for 30 seconds or more the second half of the ride (burning matches). Overall all I am happy with the ride. The main issues with the ride in general , the bike trail had a lot of people, I would get to sections where I would have to wait to pass or get a group of guys guying just a little slower then I wanted, I would have to spike the watts to get around them.  As far as nutrition I was trying to use three servings in one bottle. I ended up behind my target there  (like the watts) and over did it to catch up. Had some issues with upset stomach. After the ride my legs felt great, I couldn't run due to the stomach, as soon as I would do anything but walk I would feel like I would puke, I walked jogged the first mile and was able to run the last half a mile unitl I broke some RR law ,I drove to the trail with two other guys, I did my best to stick to my ride and not worry about what they were doing... one of them had to be home and so I eneded up baggin the run less then two miles in.  Next RR I will for sure be solo, regular strenght Infinit, and a better course (or keep the course but go on a weekday)

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you've got some good targets for the next RR in a couple of weeks. Your comments about not wanting to over do it were exactly like mine. I was so scared of over cooking that I under did it. But that's where we both can improve next time. Sorry you had to bag the run, but it sounds like it just wasn't gonna happen. It will be good to get the run in on the second take to see how icky the pacing and running feels in the first 20" and then how you'll settle in after that. YOU DID 112 MILES though! You have to be stoked!!

I'm having my own nutrition issues...just not getting enough cals I don't think. Hmmmm.

Great work Tom, hope you're feeling good and getting excited....just over 1 month until you do your 1st Ironman !!

• Options
    Your power profile looks very good. Very consistent riding.

With the nutrition, how many calories per hour were you getting / trying to get in? Was the stuff just too concentrated and you were not getting enough water? Are you trying a new product or is this a concentration issue? Are you drinking this stuff on the shorter rides / runs too?

tom
  • Options
    Looks good Tom. That's why you do RR's is to learn before raceday. Sounds like some tweeking on the nutrition so your gut works. Glynn asked the questions I was thinking. You are a slight build guy...don't overdo it on the cals.

Vince
  • Options

The issue I had was with a multi hour bottle of Infinit and all the foam.

endurancenation.us.dnnmax.com/Community/Forums/tabid/101/aff/28/aft/1523/afv/topic/Default.aspx

With the nutrition, how many calories per hour were you getting / trying to get in? I was shooting for 270 an hour, actual was about 150. I only used 4 servings of my two three hour bottles (7 hour ride). My multi hour bottle foamed up and I could not clearly see the marks to get an idea where I was.  

Was the stuff just too concentrated and you were not getting enough water? I think I ended up with to much concentrate the second half of the ride and that is when I started having issues.

Are you trying a new product or is this a concentration issue? I have used Infinit on long rides over the past two months (270 an hour) and as long as I take only a few gulps have been fine. I have had problems on long rides realizing I have not taken in enough cal/liquid and then over do it by drinking too much.  

I think I may bag the multi hour bottle and just go with regular mix. I saw on an old post where someone had stop watch every 15 minutes beep to remind them to hydrate, I think I might go that route. Maybe cut back to one and half scoops per bottle about 200 cal,  bring three bottles on the bike, and three in special needs bag, plus some mix, I will be out there long enough to need a 7th. Maybe I will bring some mix as well.

I will try 200 cal regular mix on my long rides this weekend.