Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Dave Ware 2015 IMAZ Event Participation Plan

INTRODUCTION

This will be my fifth IM and first triathlon of any sort since 2013 IMAZ due to 2 meniscus surgeries and only a very recent return to running. ( Scheduled for Stem Cell Therapy due to the failed surgeries when I get back.)  I have been top 10 in all four of my previous IMs, with a 4th at IMAZ in 2013.  This year I will consider it a success to finish with a smile as I do not know if I will run .25 miles or 10.  My longest run (which I did twice) has been 13 miles and that was over a month ago.  Due to knee issues, I have only had 1 bike at or over 100 miles.  Thus I am not racing, I am participating and enjoying the day!!!

RACE WEEK

Thursday - Arrive early afternoon, Pick up my bike (left at Landis from 3 weeks ago and get extra CO2 and tube), check in at condo and go grocery shopping.

Friday - 9:00 AM – Register for next year and pick up packet, attend expo, do a short check out of the bike. Dinner with Team at Buca de Beppo.

Saturday - Lunch out. Prep bike and T1, T2 bags. Dinner.

RACE MORNING

4 AM Wake up. Go through usual routine. Bullet Proof  Coffee, Ucan snack bar. Leave @ 5:15.

5:30: Body mark, drop off Special Needs

5:45-6:00: Prep bike: water in PD, Amino/Electrolyte Water in Speedfill, Garmin 705 and 920 calibrate to bike, Solids: Ucan snack bar to Bento box, check tiresand confirm gearing is set to start out.

6:00: start to don wet suit, drop off morning clothes. Ucan Snack bar.

6:15: Hang out by transition exit until allowed to enter holding area.

6:45: line up where it looks best.

EQUIPMENT

Morning clothes: Warm pants, Sweatshirt as needed, sandals, headlamp.

Race kit: Black Forza Tri Shorts, EN race top, Garmin HRM..

Swim: wet suit, Yellow Tyr goggles, Tempo Trainer, WTC issue swim cap.

Bike: Kestrel, Hed Three wheels, Bento box, tools in saddle bag. Profile Design Aero Bottle, Speedfill Bottle with new hose ordered from Tribe.

Run: Saucony Mirage 5, socks, Leg Brace, Hat.

BAG CONTENTS

Morning tri bag: Wet suit, Tempo Trainer, goggles, body glide, bike nutrition – Flask with 3 hour supply of Ucan/MCT Oil, 5 hour supply of Amino Water/Electrolytes, Garmin 705, 920, Spare Contacts;  run nutrition - one flask of Ucan gel, tire, tube, special needs bags (see below)

T1 Bag: Helmet, sunglasses, shoes, spare contacts, arm warmers (tube socks), gloves and plastic bag to protect chest warmth

T2 Bag: Shoes, socks. Go Bag containing: flask, Hat, number belt with # showing through.

Special Needs Bike: Flask with 2.5 hour supply of Ucan/MCT Oil, spare tube and CO2.

Special Needs Run: Spare socks if it does rain or feet getting blisters, 2d flask of Ucan.

NUTRITION PLAN

In Transition before race: Ucan Snack bar, about 6 oz of water.

On bike: Ucan/MCT from Flask and Amino/electrolyte Water. Water as needed based on temps, hydration status; Ucan 1/3 Flask/hour; Every ten minutes, sit up to drink water, amount increasing as day warms. Ucan Snack as necessary or with about 30 minutes to go on bike.  Take only water from course.

On Run: 6-10 oz of fluid each aid station depending on temps. Start with Ucan 1 serving per hour with water. Coke, gel etc, if and when  I need it.  This is a race rehearsal for IMTX next year so I want to see how the nutrition goes.

PACING

Swim: anticipate 1:10-1:12 in water time. I know how to swim, this is my event. I’ve been doing it for 4 decades now, just lock in and ignore everyone else. Some sighting needed as this is a new start.  Try to  follow the crowd and keep the effort up. Keep it comfortable but strong the whole way. Find and follow feet when at all possible. If course buoys make a curved line, remember to cut the tangent.

Bike: Anticipate 5:20-5:40 ride time, but wind will dictate this. FTP is somewhere in vicinity of 260-270. Ride based on my current capabilities. That would be: initial out and back, to hill: ride 175-185. IF .65 - .70. Going up the hill, don’t go over 190, or 0.72. Rest of ride stay in the 190-200 Zone.  That is where I successfully rode 2 years ago and in my long rides this year .Cross check with HR between 125 and 130. Keys to success on this course: ride extremely steady; remain aero at all times, except when drinking, eating; push up AND down the hill; avoid drafting, blocking.

Run: This is the BIG unknown.  I truly do not know how far I can run.  In T2 put on hat and Brace.  Grab Ziploc and go.  I will be running by HR to start at about 120-125.  See how the leg feels.  DO NOT RUN IF LIMPING.  Doctor says I will not hurt the knee by running.  BUT, I can hurt my back and other leg if I run with an altered gait.  Let the chips fall where they may.  SMILE.  Thank the volunteers.  Enjoy the day.  You are doing something that most can only dream of.

Garmin will show Heart rate and Pace.  If all goes well try to pick it up at mile 18.  If not, Have FUN.

Comments

• Options

Hey Dave,

Great to see a veteran member and IMAZ competitor using UCAN. I've trained with it but this is my first Full. Have you used it in past Ironman races?

Your plan looks solid to me. Hope to see you on the course.

Kevin

• Options

Looks great Dave-like a veteran!

Great attitude despite the setbacks.  Looking forward to seeing you soon!

• Options

Dave...welcome back to IMs.  I know it has been a long road the last 2 years for you.

Enjoy the day sounds like a great goal.  To that end, you may want to back off the watts a tad on the bike.  You indicate that you've only done one ride over 100 miles so while you FTP may similar to 2 years ago, I doubt that your 5 hour power and endurance is the same.   So if the goal is to enjoy that day, why try to "race" the bike segment and maybe put yourself in a hole for the run.  Just sayin.

Anyway, what every you do, welcome back and have a great day!!

• Options

Glad you are able to get back and do it again Dave. The mental approach is good and realistic, I agree with Bruce be mentally ready to adjust as you go, especially with the run being the big unknown. Nevertheless, you are a great athlete and a veteran Ironman, and I truly believe experience and execution counts for much more than most people give credit to. Enjoy the day! I'll be looking for you out on the run course!

• Options
    @ Bruce and Rian: Thans for the thoughts. You are probably correct; I had not looked at it from quite that perspective. I probably should back off the bike some to perhaps have a little more on the run. I am planning on a lot of walking anyway, don't need to be racing. Save that for another day!
  • Options
    David look forward to seeing you again... Wishing you good luck in your participation... Will be very interesting to see how you respond to the stem cell therapy after IMAZ... I get what the Doc is saying about not making your knee worse by running, but I think you are really smart realizing that favoring something that is uncomfortable could cause injury elsewhere... Have you considered just doing an Aquabike and skipping the run altogether?
  • Options
    @Tim: Thanks. I did, but he assured me that I won't damage the knee any further by running and I have always been very good about shutting it down if problems crop up. (Walked the last 1/2 of a marathon once due to issues..., etc) Looking forward to seeing you and Heather. Best wishes on your race!!!
  • Options

Echoing Tim;s thoughts ... your healing isn;t done yet. So don;t mess up your chances for future successes. You are too young to go out in a blaze of guts 'n glory yet. And I know you won;t. I would challenge you to go for a sub 70 minute swim and a sub 5:20 bike, then make the call.

But I fully understand your state of mind. I just finished an IM in 16 hours with exactly the same thoughts on Oct 10, based on a non-healing injury which greatly impacted running. Now I'm 5 days post-op and hoping to get back in the mix by February after an easy 3 months recovery/rehab.

• Options
    @Al: I had thought about that but my current thinking is more along Bruce's; take it a little easier on the swim and bike and see what happens on the run. Like you, I have decades of fitness and the body can do amazing things. If I go easier on the bike I can start the run a little fresher. I am going to be very conservative in the run and if the knee hurts, or if I start to limp I will walk. If I am limping too much or the knee hurts too much I will call it a day. I guess I want to give my body a chance. Please let me know if you think that is a bad idea...