Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Dana B's IMAZ Race Plan

The backstory before I get started, last year I Googled IMWI bike course and found Coach Rich's 4Keys and used EN's method blindly, as my watch was ripped off in the swim.  Other than my transitions (hard to monitor without a watch), I crossed the line  an hour faster than I though 12:30.With a 4:17 marathon.  Sign me up EN..I was sold.  Ironically, although on cloud nine, I was fired from my job last November!  I did still go to AZ to volunteer and paid for my 2015 spot (unemployed) ouch!  I did manage to secure another position for WAY less than I was making and managed to pay my bills and stay a somewhat active EN member.  I wasn't in the financial position  to buy the bells and whistles many EN members use to measure their progress, and mentally wasn't in the space to grasp many of the concepts.  In addition to the loss of a great job, I also lost a friend and last month my beloved dog, which was tragic and quit violent. As Tim Noakes says:"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic."  Okay, what happens when your spirit is broken?

I have not trained correctly, eaten healthy or enough nor slept a full night in 5 weeks, but I paid for this race, I love Ironman and ironically, somehow landed a new job with a company I've ALWAYS wanted to work for and I start Monday!  So I may not be in the best shape for an IM, BUT I am in WAY better shape than I was last November when I was in Tempe.

Here we go:

This was my original time goal and have no clue what will happen Sunday. So please add (ish) after each target.

Swim 1:20 

T-1 5:5

Bike 5:50 - 6:00

T-2 4:00-4:50 (potty break)

Run 4:20-4:30

Friday: 4Keys, athlete briefing and team dinner.

Saturday: Probably no practice swim, just visually take notice of where I'll be swimming. Drop off bike.

Race Morning:

Wake up at 4:00am and have a cup of coffee.  Prepare a bagel with peanut butter and banana. Apply sunscreen and chamios butter,HR strap and 920xt Garmin. Put on 1 of 2 tri kits (not sure which one but both have been tested),warm clothes over kit. Try and eat in room and head out about 4:45am with chip on ankle, bags, bottle of water to sip on with left over breakfast if not eaten.  I need to note the distance from my hotel to start (it's a close walk I am told).

Drop off special needs, get body marked, thank volunteers, load GE in aero profile bottle, one to rear hydration system, add 3 Cliff Blocs to fuel box, bag of Advil and salt. Tape Bonk Breakers inside profile storage ( must tape or it will bounce out). Check tires, start putting on wetsuit with glide, heading to potty line with water, 1 Gu, goggles and cap.Turn in warm clothes bag. Eat Gu about 1/2 before swim start. Position with 1:20 swimmers.

Out of water, find a good wetsuit stripper, grab bag with (helmet,sunglasses shoes and extra little bag of what ever isn't going on bike and shove in back pocket.  Just in case I will put arm warmers in bag and need to ask for demo on folding in 1/2 roll down technique(sounds efficient). Normally I run with shoes in hand  to bike, however the surface in AZ looks like I may want to put shoe on and run in them.

Bike- first lap let them pass me and pay attention early to every 15 minute Garmin alert to drink 1/4 bottle of GE and eat something every 30 minutes, second lap get stronger and 3 lap stay as aero as possible.  I am not sure about special needs, I usually put a frozen P&J in there, if I don't eat it, it's more a mental that I have a treat waiting for me..  I don't have fancy numbers to give you this year sorry, know to stay in my box and let them pass me, they'll probably be walking on the run.

Dismount bike, pass to volunteer while thanking them.  Again I usually take shoe off and run with them in hand, but the surface?

Grab run bag, put on hopefully EN visor,glasses on head, lube up feet with vaseline,sock,sock shoe,shoe, tie,tie--grab baggy with 6 yummy flavors of GU's, a few salt capsules and Advil. Shove in back pocket while remove baggy I had in back pocket for bike. Hate to say it..BUT I will most likely potty in T-2 before exciting unless someone can convenience me to get out of transition and go on course those potty's tend to be backed up with people who didn't go in T-2. Get sunscreen on and thank volunteers.

Run- walk every aid station for about 30 steps, I need to fine tune when to eat Gu's but usually take in 6 until mile 17 when I'm Gu'ed out.  This is when I switch over to chicken broth/water combo for the remainder of the run.  About mile 20 I take a few sips of coke.

Cross the finish line with a smile on my face and grateful no recognize there is a lot that goes on between a starting line and finish, but if I'm surrounded by people and keep looking ahead with a positive attitude, there's a bright future to come in 2016.

Input is welcome and thanks for reading.

Dana

Comments

• Options
    Dana, given all that you've gone through over the past year, great job getting to the starting line! Unless they have changed the transition area since I did the race in 13, the surface is grass. You don't mention how you will be pacing your bike and run. Just wondering if you've thought all that through?
  • Options
    Tom, I was actually looking at Besty's race plan, although she's put in more training than I have, it's possible are times may be closely matched. With a little luck! Her bike goal is 6:00 and she's broken it down to (3) 2 hour loops. I do have a Stages PM, however due to my hectic year, I never quit grasped the concept of training with power. My power is all over the place. For the run, again I like Betsy's plan of running 1st 6 at an 11:00 pace, 7-21 @ 10:30's. I did run IMWI in sub 10:00's...I think it was 9:50's the entire way...but I was in better shape. I'll work out the math for what my pace should be for a 4:20 marathon. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • Options
    Dana - Congrats on getting here! Like R&P always say, race day is about execution and not fitness. Follow your plan and you'll be fine.

FWIW, I ran through transition in my socks last year without an issue. Be sure to take a good look around on Saturday when you drop your bags and you can make a more informed decision about your bike shoes.
  • Options
    Dana your back story is the same as mine except my first IM was Louisville and just stumbled onto the 4keys pre-race and signed up post race... They say half the battle is just showing up at the starting line... Your "journey" to this starting line sounds like a bad "country song".... The race should be easy in comparison... Execution will trump all! Cya soon
  • Options
    nothing of value to add other than thumbs up for keeping going with all life curve balls!
  • Options
    Dana, solid race plan. You got this! I'll be sending positive mojo your way on race day!
  • Options

Dana - celebrate the day/ I hope you enjoy IM Arizona as much as I have over the years - my No.1 favorite IM course. Swim for fun, ride with grace and run with gratitude.

• Options

Thank you everyone for your support.  As always, Al great advice and I plan to enjoy my day.