Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2015 EN Turkey Trot

https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/5638e664f46f1e09e3ad92c1/150x150/c0f30ab06070f8123860e8b08fd2f735/EN_TurkeyTrotChallengeButton.FINAL.png

2015 Turkey Trot Challenge

Welcome to the 2015 Endurance Nation Turkey Trot Challenge! This is a new event,  but like all of our challenges the goal is to have fun, stay fit, and keep one another motivated. You need to officially register for the challenge by midnight on Wednesday November 26th.

How It Works

Participating members will register online, identify the distance of the race that they have chosen, and enter an estimate finishing time. While everyone's a winner in this challenge, only one of you can do the closest to your predicted finishing time!  That’s Right –  You submit your predicted finishing time before the race happens. S/he who comes the closest, wins!

If you don’t have a road race or similar event available in your account, it’s okay to run on your old. The only requirement is that you covered the distance in the time predicted.

Please Note: Your finish must be recorded on a GPS device with a link presented as verification after the event if requested!

Step One: Register online HERE

Step Two: Visit this forum before and talk great amounts of smack. Pinky promise not to sandbag your performance by picking an easy time that you can hold the pace of. Here's a calculator that can help you out.

Step Three: Run your race with your GPS watch, making sure to flash the Endurance Nation gang sign at the finish line. Primal scream optional.

Step Four:  Return to the registration sheet and enter your official finish time in the space provided next to your name. A winner will be selected by Monday, November 30th.

Comments

• Options
    Before you all call me out for sandbagging the challenge, bare in mind that I have been sedentary for 6 months until 5 weeks ago. With that said...bring on the hazing!
  • Options

Posted By Steve Swanlund on 18 Nov 2015 01:52 PM

Before you all call me out for sandbagging the challenge, bare in mind that I have been sedentary for 6 months until 5 weeks ago. With that said...bring on the hazing!

You're doing better than me. This week I restarted "running" after injury & surgery. Today was the second day: 1 minute walk, 2 min run @ min/mi, 3 min walk, repeat x total of 5.

Haven;t you been busy building a boat, or something?

• Options
    I was wondering what that pace was about on Strava today. And, YES, I am building a sailboat. It's coming along nicely.
  • Options
    I don't know where this challenge will fit into my "out season" run plan (sorry Rich)….but I do know I'm going to need the extra run to counter the day's extra indulgences!! My husband makes some mean Louisiana BBQ on Thanksgiving!!! Plus my entire TOWN comes out for this Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot so it's so social and much FUN!!! I haven't run much since IMFLA so hopefully will have my (turkey) legs under me by next Thursday!!! Thanks, Brenda, for putting this ON!! image
  • Options
    Well gang I am hoping this is the end of the rehab and moving towards a new "Rebuild". The time I chose is not random but an inverted date/time of my crap out day at IMChoo. Time will tell for sure and it should be a lotta fun to run blind . All those in have a great day and watch your step !
  • Options
    Well since there's still no snow in Minnesota, and I'll be in town for the first Thanksgiving in many years, I'll do my part and run the neighborhood 10K. Predicting I can gut out a sub 8:00 mile pace and come in just under 48'! Good luck to the rest of you!
  • Options
    I am coming back from not much activity so being conservative on the distance (1 mile). Happy Turkey Day!
  • Options

The Manchester Road Race is the big turkey day race around here. Last year I was honored to push a girl, Amanda, with Cerebral Palsy in the race. It was a lifetime experience for both of us. I will never forget her laugh as we passed the cheering spectators or scream as we went down a hill.  Her family was so excited as we crossed the finish line.  Then tragedy struck. 2 weeks later, she passed away. I remained in contact with her family and tried to give them love and support through this past year.  This year- I will be doing the Manchester Road Race- but I will be walking it with Amanda's family.  I have no time goal, this race and this day will be to remember a sweet, loving, laughing girl who was taken all to soon. 

• Options

Ok, I am IN!!. Gotta go big or go crazy.....oh wait spending the rest of the day tomorrow with the family is crazy enough..hahahaha.

Laura, hope that all goes well tomorrow.
  • Options
    Have the annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot (the original Trot) 8-miler tomorrow morning, with 30K+ other people. 66*F and high humidity expected.
  • Options
    Run is done...nice little jaunt around the neighborhood. I guess I should have measured the course (or seen what past runs were) becuase I ended up going 0.2 miles above target. 5.2 miles in 42:42. Target was 5.0 miles in 42:00.

Bring on the food!! image
  • Options
    OK, let the trash talk begin. 13 seconds under overall target time!!

Happy Thanksgiving
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/967224517
  • Options
    I did the local 10K around the lake by my house. Somehow I thought I was going to do it just under 48:00 which was probably a bit optimistic. Was actually pretty happy with a 49:22, so picked up a VDOT point since the beginning of the OS. Negative split the race 25:10/24:12. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • Options
    Did the local Turkey Trot this morning. Had no idea of my racing shape and apparently I'm faster than I thought. 3 minutes faster than my predicted time but I'll take the sub-20 5K!
  • Options

Ran a little better than expected this morning and found an extra VDot point.  Happy Thanksgiving Team!!!

• Options

Ran pretty well.  Right where I thought I would be.  A 10K out -n- back with a pretty nice headwind on the return.  Really happy for my 11 year old son who bagged his first 5K.  Now off to the next challenge, watching football and having even pacing with beers per quarter.  Happy Thanksgiving. 

• Options
    Did the Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon this morning and scored a PR too. Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • Options
    10k Turkey trot for me this morning. 43:11 official race time which is 1:06 faster than 10k at beginning of summer, a new PR, and just over 30 seconds faster than my guess. Was pacing for sub 7's until the last mile when the headwinds and rolling terrain arrived. Excited to use these numbers to estimate paces for my final race of the season - a half marathon in 10 days. Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
  • Options
    Local 5 k for humane Society with my daughter. Goal was just under 20 and went 19:16 vDot up to 52. 14th out of 761 but 4 th in the 50-54 AG. Lots of fast old guys out today. I could get back to 56 vDOT if I can stay healthy. Big thanks to Leigh Boyle from ATA who has been helping me out with my hammy issue. Bonus sharing the morning with my daughter.
  • Options
    Dangit. Didn't quite break the tape on a new PR but with constant dodging to 30k+ people on two courses (5k and 8 mile split at two miles), and didn't beat my friend Fernando (he got me by 14 seconds!), but had fun out there and earned SOME of the calories I ate yesterday.
  • Options
    Where is the dinner going to be?
  • Options
    No holiday(Canadian),no turkey, no race to run, no PB to get a PR . Just a run outside,goal just settle into a pace and let the cards fall where they may. Ran just slightly faster than I thought I would but I will take it today ! Happy T Giving  and congrats to all the race ready peeps !