Home Community Forum 🏠

Comments

• Options

Only had time to read the first page so far (irony: while dressing to go off to swim 5 x 500, then bike home the long way, to be followed by a 2 hour walk, cause I can't yet run), but this quote caught my eye:

Here’s the catch: “Professional athletes have entourages to help them,” San Millán says. “The majority of Colorado freaks are doing this on their own, even if they happen to have a sponsor or two. They don’t know how to train, how to eat, how to recover, or how to balance their lives, and this brings issues to this population.”

That's why I value EN - it's my entourage! Helping me know how to train, recover, eat, and balance my life...

• Options
    This article is better than others but I would still classify it as another "exercise is bad for you" piece designed to appease the fat and growing fatter crowd. As one guy stated in the comments: "Jesus man how many times do we have to hear the "endurance athletics is bad for your health,' line."

Where are the articles titled "The Dark Side of Being a Coach Potato" or "The Dangers of Watching 4+ Hrs of TV per Day". I would argue that it is the typical American whose life is not balanced. I've stated many times that there is a cottage industry of bullshit medical anti-exercise "studies" that appeal to the sedentary masses. It sells and the print industry can't get enough of it.

Meanwhile, I took the family to Iceland earlier this month for a NON-RACE vacation. My SAUs for the year are in the bag. Carry-on.
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading the article, sometimes we are in our bubble and its nice to read that kinds of articles before its too late. Happy to see that I am not going into that wall and hope will never be

Thanks TC
  • Options

It's ironic that I read this right after listening to Coach Patrick's podcast "Can you rest more effectively?".

When I first read the title I thought this thread was going to go a slightly different direction. Last weeks "Cycling Time Trial Podcast" was about heart issues developing in older elite athletes. It was inspired by an article in Velonews

http://velonews.competitor.com/cycling-extremes

This issue, if true, is scarier to me than the stuff in the 5280 article.

• Options
    Good article, Tim. Although there are certainly some parts I don't agree with, there is plenty of takeaways. The biggest for me is what Francis mentions in his response; that we are in somewhat of a bubble sometimes. I find that I can easily justify many parts of this lifestyle one way or another, and sometimes I need to remind myself to look beyond my own bubble in terms of how my training affects others and even potential dangers I may put myself in at times. Easier said than done.... Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    One way or another we have to find a balance in our lives. It's not a total cliche about "wanting to stay married" when people talk about ironman training. But endurance training >> couch potato any day of the week. :-)