Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Accomodations

Heya,

Racing this place with the team in November. I was looking to book for the accomodations, but since I don't know the area very well and I know some folks did often raced that IM.

What do you suggest ? I'll be alone, no familly.

Also, do you recommand renting a car to travel from the airport and Tempe and go around ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I live in CA so I drove and stayed at one of the Marriotts closest to the finish line. I can't remember what street it was on but if you call
    a few Marriotts just ask how close they are to the start/ finish. I would not wait to reserve your room, if your like me I like to stay close to IM village and walk to my room. Because you're flying in to tempe, you will need to rent a car.

Oh, don't do the practice swim the day before the race! I know several people who got sick and were unable to start. It's not worth it in my opinion:-(

Good luck!
    Dana
  • Options
    I live on the other side of town and this will be my first IM. There are a number of hotels close by. It is right in the heart of ASU. It is only about 10-15 minutes from the airport. You could take a taxi or I'm sure that whatever hotel you decide upon has a shuttle. That won't help if you want to explore the valley while you are here.

As far as practicing the swim - The water is a man made "lake" - more like stagnant water. I have swim in two different triathlons there. You can't see your hand in front of your face, so its like swimming in the dark. It helped me the first time I swam in it to experience that prior to racing. I have never been sick form swimming in it, but I don't take in much water when swimming.

If you need to ship your bike this way, I will be glad to bring it to you.

If I can help anyone out, I'm glad to do it.
  • Options
    @Francis
    I booked a house for family and I. Check Homeaway.com for 1 person accomodations, there were a few good deals not too far from T1 but u would still need a car (I think)
    check this
    https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p450312vb
  • Options
    Dana : Thank you ! I called to the Marriots and they are already fully booked.

Gary - thank you for the information and for the offer regarding the bike, I'll travel with it. I am planning on arriving on Monday, rent a car and visit around, never came in AZ.

I found a room at University Inn & suites, which on the map doesnt seem far and the price seems raisonnable compare to whats left at less than 1M from race start.

I guess for the swim, there are some public pools in the city
  • Options
    Hi Francis,
    I am local in Scottsdale. I can direct you to the public pools when time gets closer.
    I've swam plenty in TTL and never been sick, but having said that, it's a lake, usually calm (except 2014) and just expect no visibility. I don't like getting my wetsuit wet the day before so don't get in. They drained it in March to do a permanent fix on the damn. I swam in it in the first tri swim allowed last month and it seemed a little cleaner.

As for hotels, I understand they fill up a year in advance so lucky you got anything close at allimage
  • Options
    I am also in for this team race (assuming I survive IM Canada next month). Is staying in Scottsdale a problem, and commuting to the race on race day? (I may not have a choice anyway)
  • Options
    Doug, Scottsdale is a city that borders Tempe. Depending upon where in Scottsdale you stay, you could be five to thirty minutes away. If you are renting a car, it shouldn't be an issue. I live in Goodyear, which is about 30 miles West. The Phoenix area is very easy to navigate.
  • Options
    Doug, Gary is right. I live in Scottsdale and commute on race day. The conga line getting into the USairways parking lot can get long and slow so best to plan to be there at 5am when it opens to avoid that stress
  • Options

Posted By DAVID RICHMOND on 12 Jun 2016 12:54 PM

@Francis

I booked a house for family and I. Check Homeaway.com for 1 person accomodations, there were a few good deals not too far from T1 but u would still need a car (I think)

check this

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p450312vb

I am also a fan of AirBnB. I had an incredibly positive experience with AirBnB @ Ironman South Africa. I'd rather be in a house than a hotel and prices can be very reasonable. I found a place at my venue at a fraction of the cost of the hotels near IM village. I was a 1500m walk to the start line.

Best of like FP. 

• Options
    I will be looking again since my room doesnt have a kitchen and I dont wanna go eat too much at restaurants during race week.

I might arrive on Monday, try to acclimate a bit to the weather since im from the North and end of November means minus celcius temperature for me.

Since im a huge hockey fan I might go see the coyotes and have cheap tickets for nice place.. prices are crazy here in Montreal to go see the habs.. beer is now 24$ and it sucks.
  • Options
    OH...Hockey! SWEET - let's hope it's not a SAT night game! image My husband and I are huge hockey fans too - we got to see the Chicago Blackhawks opening night when I did Chicago Marathon. We did a trip for our 20th wedding anniversary and went to 5 different arenas over 7 days one year. So much fun. .
  • Options
    Also a huge hockey fan. Grew up in Detroit watching the Red Wings at 0lympia Stadium - before the Joe Louis Arena. Tempe is used to hosting ASU football crowds so hotels andmotels are abundant just a short drive away. Tempe does nothing t jack up hotel prices or require a minimum stay. I
  • Options
    Sat Nov 19, 2016 Sharks Coyotes
    6:00 PM Tickets

=)
  • Options

Posted By Francis Picard on 03 Jul 2016 07:24 PM

Sat Nov 19, 2016 Sharks Coyotes

6:00 PM Tickets

=)

Jealous - I miss hockey!